Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2009, 18:18   #61
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: What is the cheapest, healthy recipe you know of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
How much water would you put in that? enough to just cover the carcass? Or fill the pan right up?

I cover the carcass so the pan's about half full. The liquid does reduce when it's cooking but if you use too much water it won't have as much flavour. If it reduces too much you can always add more water, a bit at a time.
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2009, 18:53   #62
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Re too much water, you can always throw a stock cube in.
Another tip is get one of those net pouches they use for washing tablets but keep it for cooking only. Put the carcass bones in it as the spine falls into lots of tiny bones which are a pain to strain out. With them in the pouch you can easily lift it out and pick the meat out.

With any beef dishes ask the butcher for a bone for your dog even if you dont have one. When you are using your oven for other things roast the bones then when making a beef stew throw the bone in for extra flavour.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 20:20   #63
God Member

you missed the words "in your opinion" out.....

If we all got on it would be a right boring place but you do have to allow others to have opinions even if they don't match yours without name calling or insulting.

Blazey and I have had our moments but that doesn't stop me coming on her thread an offering advice, personal vendettas get no one anywhere.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 21:05   #64
Beacon of light

Cheapest food is humble pie....it costs absolutely nothing, but is not to everyones taste.
And.......No, I don't have a recipe for it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 21:28   #65
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Another tip is get one of those net pouches they use for washing tablets but keep it for cooking only. Put the carcass bones in it as the spine falls into lots of tiny bones which are a pain to strain out. With them in the pouch you can easily lift it out and pick the meat out.

By 'eck, you must use some giant washing tablets to get a carcass in the little bag. It's a lot easier to strain the soup through a flour seive.
Old 23-08-2009, 21:32   #66
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It's a lot easier to strain the soup through a flour seive.
How do you make a sieve out of flour???

Ok I know I am leaving
Old 24-08-2009, 02:52   #67
God Member

I do quite like a bit of tripe actually! Hard to come by in a lot of places so I do like to get a bit when I'm home off the market.

As for work, I've had three jobs over Summer. One week I was contracted to work 88hrs, and I didn't complain once even though I had to put up with a patronising old fool who isn't going to be employed again by the people I work for.

Wisdom doesn't just come from getting old. Some people could do with learning that before they start preaching at me.

And I'd like a slow cooker but it just seems like another thing to take home at the end of the year. And people are stupid and pull out plugs as we don't have many plug sockets in the kitchens. So I can see myself coming home to disappointment quite often!

I do like the thought of making chicken soup though and broths. Especially as I can freeze it.

And the thing with herbs is that they're a costly item when other people use them. I live on a £10-15 shopping budget most weeks. Living with other students, it's easy for them to use up all your herbs and spices. I buy the basics for my spag bol and chilli, but that's about it. And I've no problem with dried produce, I've just got a problem with things that have preservatives and silly amounts of sugar added when you wouldn't dream of putting sugar into it if you were cooking it from scratch. Not to mention salt.

And I wouldn't mind trying horse, I hear it's a very good meat for you, very lean. I'm not sure where I'd leave it to hang though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 07:20   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I've never noticed that section of the forum before

Thanks everyone. I eat a lot of sardines because they're cheap and I like them on toast
You need to have accyweb set to red to see the community section
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 09:27   #69

If you can
I would suggest going round yer Mum's n blagging off her then stocking up as much as possible
Worked for me!
ha
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 09:29   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
If you can
I would suggest going round yer Mum's n blagging off her then stocking up as much as possible
Worked for me!
ha
Haha I try my best!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 09:29   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
If you can
Worked for me!
ha

lol i used to 'shop' at my grandads

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 13:28   #72

Most supermarkets do a "value" root vegetable pack.. great for making a lovely root vegetable soup... Tasty.. (even better if you roast the veggies first !)....or there is good ol' fashioned broth you can't beat that...

Have you tried the "beyond baked beans" book??... there are some tasty recipes in there.... a few of my uni friends swear by that book...
Old 24-08-2009, 14:56   #73
Resting in Peace

Keep yer hair on Sam ... suspect it was because you had quoted a post that was deleted earlier by a mod, not what you said. And no, it wasn't me that reported them, even though I threatened to.

Last edited by Mick; 25-08-2009 at 05:26.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 15:08   #74

Quote:

And the thing with herbs is that they're a costly item when other people use them. I live on a £10-15 shopping budget most weeks. Living with other students, it's easy for them to use up all your herbs and spices. I buy the basics for my spag bol and chilli, but that's about it. And I've no problem with dried produce, I've just got a problem with things that have preservatives and silly amounts of sugar added when you wouldn't dream of putting sugar into it if you were cooking it from scratch. Not to mention salt.
Why don't you try getting your herbs and spices from one of the local asian shops...??... you get far more for your money from these shops than you do at your local supermarkets...
Old 24-08-2009, 15:16   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola68 View Post
Most supermarkets do a "value" root vegetable pack.. great for making a lovely root vegetable soup... Tasty.. (even better if you roast the veggies first !)....or there is good ol' fashioned broth you can't beat that...
79p from morrisons, we get them all the time in the winter, slightly more expensive in Tesco, around a quid lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..