Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2009, 15:26   #76

Re: What is the cheapest, healthy recipe you know of?

we get them too... good all round store cupboard buy... especially for a limited budget..

I'm just making some cream of brocolli soup and homemade bread.. about 90p for a big pan full, as brocolli is only 50p at lidl.. it really yummy too
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2009, 15:42   #77
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola68 View Post
I'm just making some cream of brocolli soup and homemade bread.. about 90p for a big pan full, as brocolli is only 50p at lidl.. it really yummy too

That sounds lovely. Will you share the recipe please?
Old 24-08-2009, 15:58   #78

Here we go....a very easy recipe...

1 large onion diced
2 medium potatoes diced
1lb of brocolli
400ml chicken or veg stock
100ml cream (you can use milk if you prefer)
salt and pepper to taste

saute the onions (don't colour, will make soup a touch bitter)

add diced potatoes and saute those for 5 mins

add stock and simmer until tender

cut the "stalky" ends off the brocolli and chop into small pieces
add these to the pan and cook until tender

add salt and pepper

chop the brocolli florets (quite small).. add these to the pan...
don't put a lid on the pan as the brocolli will go a murky green
when tender add the cream and blitz until smooth..

yummy.. you can also add a bit of stilton for a richer tasting soup...
Enjoy
x
Old 24-08-2009, 16:42   #79
Passed away 25-11-09

Thank you, I'll try that. I've had brocolli and stilton soup from M&S but, even though I love stilton, it wasn't nice at all so I'll leave it out.
Old 24-08-2009, 17:15   #80
God Member

I guess Somerfield is the cheapest supermarket in Lancaster but it doesn't have a very good choice of products and I find it to be very limiting. I love Sainsbury's but it can be expensive at times.

I'd kill for a morrissons, I like that supermarket!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 17:24   #81
God Member

leek and potato soup is cheap and easy too

all you need is spuds, leeks, butter/margarine and a pint of stock
Old 24-08-2009, 17:35   #82
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Pedant in me says you meant sweat not saute, sweat is over a low heat to soften saute is over a very high heat to brown as quickly as possible. Otherwise, nice recipe, you can of course use more stalk that you have saved by freezing when you are doing broccli florets as a veg.

The true sign of thrift cooking is never throwing anything away. Use leftovers etc as other stuff the following days....
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 18:18   #83
Give, give, give member

Iced water soup.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 20:20   #84
God Member

Do you have access to a freezer?

Making extra portions of things all at the same time is a good idea. Every now and then I have a big 'making' day. I used to make about three dishes in one afternoon, with very few ingredients then freeze portions. I haven't done that for a while because ironically, I'm too busy.

Also, pastry, it's a lot cheaper if you make your own and you can make a right big batch and freeze balls of it. It means that you only need to defrost a ball, roll it out and you've got a pie topping.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 06:39   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Pedant in me says you meant sweat not saute, sweat is over a low heat to soften saute is over a very high heat to brown as quickly as possible. Otherwise, nice recipe, you can of course use more stalk that you have saved by freezing when you are doing broccli florets as a veg.

The true sign of thrift cooking is never throwing anything away. Use leftovers etc as other stuff the following days....

...oops sorry.... ... but you did guess what I meant tho' x
Old 25-08-2009, 15:53   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Do you have access to a freezer?

Making extra portions of things all at the same time is a good idea. Every now and then I have a big 'making' day. I used to make about three dishes in one afternoon, with very few ingredients then freeze portions. I haven't done that for a while because ironically, I'm too busy.

Also, pastry, it's a lot cheaper if you make your own and you can make a right big batch and freeze balls of it. It means that you only need to defrost a ball, roll it out and you've got a pie topping.
Yes I do have a freezer.

I really love cooking, especially for my friends. A lot of my friends don't eat very well so I love cooking up proper meals for them every now and again! I can't wait for term to start now so then I can try these soups and hopefully be a bit creative so I can make my own special soup haha.

I once cooked my mum a rabbit as well and she wouldn't eat it my little brother loved it though. yum yum
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:35   #87
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Have you thought of making something of your enjoyment of cooking for your friends?
Why not offer a basic catering service where you cook and they pay you. Eg if it costs you 3 ponds to make a load of spag bol for 4 of you they pay a quid each.

You get a meal for free, they get a decent meal cheap.

You never know it might catch on, Blazeys home cooked nosh. I want 10% of anything you sell the company for!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:47   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cheapest way is get some sucker to take ya out fer a meal, just use yer female wiles.
Old 25-08-2009, 17:16   #89
Senior Member+

Chop a large onion small, simmer in a drop of water, a load of potatoes sliced small into the same pan, top uo the water to just cover, add macedinoine of veg, add salt, slowly simmer until potatoes break when poked with a spoon, add cooked lamb or raw ground beef, let simmer until beef is cooked or simmer a kittle longer if using left over lamb ( to extract the flavour). thicken the liquid with gravy granules to suit. If you want to be really posh, transform the Stewed Potatoes into potato pi by adding a simple pastry crust = potato pie. Accrington Soul Food
Old 25-08-2009, 18:29   #90
God Member

Ok folks, here we go with a recipe from the true north, strong and free, eh.

Newfoundland Flipper Pie:

2 seal flippers
1 small trunip, cubed
3 carrots, sliced
2 onions, sliced
1 parsnip, sliced
2 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 ounces of screech
1/2 lb fat back pork
2 tbsp vinegar

Dumpling Pastry:

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
small pat of butter

Cut all fat and slag from flippers, place them in a deep dish and add enough boiling water to cover, add vinegar and set aside to cool. Then wipe flippers dry with a paper towel and place in a baking pan or large casserole dish. Add pepper and salt to taste, cover with sliced onions and sliced fat pork, dribble the screech over the contents. Cover and cook for two hours at 375 degrees. Boil turnip, carrots and parsnip for 20 min. When they are done, place them in a baking dish along with flippers. Use vegetable water for gravy, thickened with flour. Make dumpling pastry an pat over flippers and vegetables. Cover and bake gently until pastry is done ... about 15 min.

Enjoy ... I suggest drinking a hell of a lot more screech.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..