Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2009, 19:48   #1
God Member

What is the cheapest, healthy recipe you know of?

It's pretty much an expensive life being a student, and I find that when it gets to the end of the term I am eating pretty much any rubbish I can afford in order to stay alive. Right now I'm eating a shepherds pie that cost me 70p from the spar as it goes out of date today and the shop closes in 2 hours, not many people around etc. It tastes alright, better than noodles and such, but it's not good for me and I want to be healthier.

I know of all the obvious things like spaghetti bolognese, chilli con carne... homemade shepherds pie...

but what else could I eat that doesn't cost the earth? I love broths and soups so any of your favourite recipes would be great.

I've been watching economy gastronomy but I still think it's very boring to stick to the basic 'bed rock' thing every day.

I love eating salmon and other fish too, so any ideas of what I could make to make the most out of the fish would be great
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2009, 20:04   #2
God Member

Re: What is the cheapest, healthy recipe you know of?

Lambs liver is very cheap and is delicious, lean and tender.
Saute in butter with onions and garlic.
I eat mashed potaoes and carrots with it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:16   #3
God Member

When I was a student we used to make a sort of lasagne with baked beans and cottage cheese.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:17   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Fish is good for you, especially oily fish. Mackerel is very tasty, filleted, dotted with butter and grilled. Salmon too is very versatile, you can grill it, poach it (in milk or water) pan fry it or bake it in the oven and it's not expensive.
Old 22-08-2009, 20:39   #5
Resting in Peace

Blazey have a look in the community section we have a food section with recipes you might like to try
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:42   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Blazey have a look in the community section we have a food section with recipes you might like to try
I've never noticed that section of the forum before

Thanks everyone. I eat a lot of sardines because they're cheap and I like them on toast
Old 22-08-2009, 20:43   #7
Beacon of light

Baked potatoes......lots of different fillings......Morrisons do a bag of grated cheese for 50p....and an american salad for 50p (Ok so there isn't a lot in the bag, but plenty for one person.....it would do me twice) tomatoes are cheap. Coleslaw too......Home made cottage pie doesn't take much making and is nutritious.
You just need to check out the offers the different supermarkets have on at the moment....Aldi have avocados at 29p....cucumber 29p......little gem lettuce 29p......Mango 29p......and lidl have lots of offers on at the moment.
Time and imagination might be required, but healthy eating on a budget is possible.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:45   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Baked potatoes......lots of different fillings......Morrisons do a bag of grated cheese for 50p....and an american salad for 50p (Ok so there isn't a lot in the bag, but plenty for one person.....it would do me twice) tomatoes are cheap. Coleslaw too......Home made cottage pie doesn't take much making and is nutritious.
You just need to check out the offers the different supermarkets have on at the moment....Aldi have avocados at 29p....cucumber 29p......little gem lettuce 29p......Mango 29p......and lidl have lots of offers on at the moment.
Time and imagination might be required, but healthy eating on a budget is possible.
Aldi is outside Lancaster on the way to Morecambe. I don't have access to it. Or a Morrisons, or an Asda.

I have the market, sainsbury's, somerfields... and the ordinary shops
Old 22-08-2009, 20:51   #9
Beacon of light

That's a shame......because they are doing some cracking deals.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:53   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Aldi is outside Lancaster on the way to Morecambe. I don't have access to it. Or a Morrisons, or an Asda.

I have the market, sainsbury's, somerfields... and the ordinary shops
Booths is just down the road from the university
Directions :- across the road form the " boot and shoe pub "
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:56   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
Booths is just down the road from the university
Directions :- across the road form the " boot and shoe pub "
It is indeed. Have you ever shopped in Booths?

The Boot and Shoe do a cracking sunday lunch. The Bowling Green, on the opposite side of Booths, does a Sunday Lunch for £3.95
Old 22-08-2009, 21:01   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
It is indeed. Have you ever shopped in Booths?

The Boot and Shoe do a cracking sunday lunch. The Bowling Green, on the opposite side of Booths, does a Sunday Lunch for £3.95
I transport the goods to the shop .

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...php/photo/7745

Last edited by david1; 22-08-2009 at 21:09. Reason: add picture
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:09   #13

BirdsEye frozen reggae reggae chicken or chicken chargrills 2 pieces for £1. Get 4 boxes of them and a long life packet of tortilla wraps and that's 8 lunches for about £5
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:30   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
BirdsEye frozen reggae reggae chicken or chicken chargrills 2 pieces for £1. Get 4 boxes of them and a long life packet of tortilla wraps and that's 8 lunches for about £5
I don't eat lunch. That is one of the unnecessary meals of the day. Along with breakfast. I only wake up for dinner. And I don't want to eat something made by birdseye every day for my dinner. It's certainly not what I consider healthy either.

Healthy = fresh.
Old 22-08-2009, 21:38   #15

Quote:
I don't eat lunch. That is one of the unnecessary meals of the day. Along with breakfast. I only wake up for dinner. And I don't want to eat something made by birdseye every day for my dinner. It's certainly not what I consider healthy either.

Healthy = fresh.
Have 2 and it's dinner. 100% chicken breast, high protein, low salt, low fat, low saturated fat - don't pay attention to calories myself but can't see it being too high either - fail to see what is unhealthy about it, enlighten me ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..