Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2015, 19:59   #1
Senior Member+

Question What makes a good/bad forum?

I'm curious to folks opinions as to what makes a good forum,is it folks high level of comments,is it design,layout of the forum?
What pulls in the crowds so to speak? A good community spirit,local topics?

What kills a forum? Folks low level comments,over/under moderation?

Personally, forums where like minded people get together tend to get a bit cliquey and when something comes up and one person happens to have a different outlook they get seem to get jumped on so I stay clear of them sort of forums wherever possible.

So,What do you folk think?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2015, 20:49   #2
Beacon of light

Re: What makes a good/bad forum?

That this is a loaded question.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 21:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I agree. I think Accy X should first tell us what he thinks.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 21:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I agree. I think Accy X should first tell us what he thinks.
Its what he usually seeks to do imho.
Old 24-03-2015, 22:13   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

Personally, forums where like minded people get together tend to get a bit cliquey and when something comes up and one person happens to have a different outlook they get seem to get jumped on so I stay clear of them sort of forums wherever possible.
But you're still on here??
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 22:15   #6
God Member

I think I'll have another Tusker. And, I may do some more thinking later. I'm not quite sure. Right now, Bibo ergo sum trumps Cogito ergo sum.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 22:49   #7

Cliquey . . . that rings a bell.
Old 24-03-2015, 23:06   #8
Beacon of light

A forum is a bit like a family.....well, except you cannot choose your family.
In a family there are people you love. There are people you like, there are people you can tolerate, and then there are those you would not cross the street to talk to.
In a family there are many different viewpoints....families frequently do not agree. Families fall out with one another, but usually the rub along and tolerate the other members.
In a family there is respect for one another, even though you views may differ greatly from those in the family.

What I really do not get is.....people must sit on the sidelines and watch what goes on in the forum before they join.
There must be something that attracts them to the forum(sometimes the reasons for joining are self interest based-that is, they want something from the forum).
However, once they join they proceed to tell us how bad a place it is.....how different it would be if they were running things.
They come on here and want to change things....so if the place is not to their taste it begs the question 'Why did you join?'

I have been a member here since 2004......I like to think that I can have a difference of opinion with someone and it doesn't much affect how we get on.
After all life would be pretty boring if we all agreed with one another....the forum would have little point in existing.
I also like to think that I respect the views of others.....even if I really don't agree with what they say on a particular topic.
As for this business of a clique.....it raises its head regularly. I would like to know just who is in this clique, and why I haven't been invited to join.

Oh and for those who don't like the place.....you have the option of leaving.
Make sure the door doesn't hit you on the behind as you leave......Accyweb can well do without claims for injuries.
shillelagh, Eric, dotti34 and 4 others like this.
Old 24-03-2015, 23:56   #9
God Member

"[There] is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so". I've given up on thinking for the nite .... I'll let Hamlet do it for me.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 00:04   #10
Senior Member+

If folk think that I'm referring to Accyweb with my question,I'm not,I enjoy it here (sometimes)

I guess a forum is only as good as those folk who moderate and pay for it.
Optional extras (for me) would be a good community spirit,a decent array of topics,a good level of tolerance by moderators... and of 'all' folks opinions and ideas (freedom to use explicit language niw and again wouldn't go a miss) they're just some of the things that make for a good forum in my eyes.

While the things that make for a bad forum imo are members with God complexes,over moderation,no diversity in topics,personal attacks on members.

I'm not sure how to draw the crowd as the saying goes,a good range of topics and relatively quick responses? I don't know

password--Accyweb
Old 25-03-2015, 00:17   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
But you're still on here??
Are you suggesting any forum without me is a good one G?...

...Dont tell me it's group hug time again already

password--Accyweb
Old 25-03-2015, 00:24   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think I'll have another Tusker. And, I may do some more thinking later. I'm not quite sure. Right now, Bibo ergo sum trumps Cogito ergo sum.
My Latin is terrible but veni,vidi,vi de grass, dormivi

password--Accyweb
Old 25-03-2015, 00:56   #13

To my way of thinking a good forum is a medium where a group of people should be able to put forward and discuss their ideas and opinions on various topics – whether controversial or not, exchanging and debating these opinions with others of either like mind or opposing views.

Whether in agreement or disagreement the people taking part in the discussion should be respectful and mindful of the rights of others to have their own opinion, should listen with an open mind without ridicule or insult, promoting a healthy and interesting discussion which all taking part can enjoy.

A bad forum is when none of the above happens.

Last edited by dotti34; 25-03-2015 at 00:58.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 08:19   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
If folk think that I'm referring to Accyweb with my question,I'm not,I enjoy it here (sometimes)

I guess a forum is only as good as those folk who moderate and pay for it.
Optional extras (for me) would be a good community spirit,a decent array of topics,a good level of tolerance by moderators... and of 'all' folks opinions and ideas (freedom to use explicit language niw and again wouldn't go a miss) they're just some of the things that make for a good forum in my eyes.

While the things that make for a bad forum imo are members with God complexes,over moderation,no diversity in topics,personal attacks on members.

I'm not sure how to draw the crowd as the saying goes,a good range of topics and relatively quick responses? I don't know
In this post you imply that Accyweb is lacking in community spirit....that perhaps the moderators are too rigid......you want to be able to use 'explicit' language.(whatever that phrase means.....I use explicit language. To me this means saying what you mean and not hiding your intent behind facetious questions).
The diversity of topics is generally down to those who come on the forum.....so if you want a post on a particular topic, then post one.
Posting is free.(there are many people who come on here and use the 'free services' without any thought of the cost in both time and money, of keeping the place ticking over - while some enjoy the place enough to make a contribution......however small and seemingly insignificant, it keeps the place going)
When talking of personal attacks on members, there is a protocol for dealing with this, but to be honest, the best way to deal with these is to ignore them( unless of course they contain physical threats).
If you have a gripe about Accyweb Jason, then come out honestly and say what it is.....don't hide your grudges behind a question that you really know the answer too....or don't care what the answer is.

Now, if you think I am being harsh, I'm just being honest, clear and truthful.
I try very hard to be moderate in my views.....and in my postings.
There is less wrong with Accyweb than you think.
Need something and I think that you will find there are some very 'giving' members. If that isn't community spirit the. You will have to clarify what it is for me.
Old 25-03-2015, 09:15   #15

I interpret explicit language to mean bad language, but correct me if I'm wrong, Accy X.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..