Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2006, 17:58   #16
God Member

Re: What makes this a good forum

There's a good reason I don't link back, first the link here doesn't get me any members it just gets people looking, it's mainly to get google rankings. So a link down there will get this site no members, it will just get the people from down there looking at what I'm writing on here and I like the fact that few bother to look. I know a few do but most don't. If I find someone who I think would post on here I would welcome them. I've got the problem that members from the other forum are just joining my forum to troll and I don't want them trolling on here. Highlighted as you cant seem to read it I DO NOT LINK TO HERE BECAUSE IT WILL BRING TROLLS HERE
You are quite correct my layout was indeed based on this forum also burnley and blackpoolweb and a few others. I decided which existing ideas I wanted that I'd had, which ideas I got from those forums above that I wanted, then looked at layouts, I wrote it all down on wordpad and sorted an order which turned out quite like this place. So you could say it's not the forum I copied but roys sensible logic.
The name is not a name I'd like but there's already an ath web and online and I'm not sure on the legalities of starting a forum xyz-web.co.uk when there's already a xyzweb.co.uk with a company called xyzweb ltd

I have asked roy, in this thread, I can't force him to reply if he doesn't want to. I haven't asked him specifically because he's always so busy and I need more than one opinion. Your opinion actually means a lot less.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 19-10-2006 at 01:33.
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2006, 18:23   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

There is a thing called common courtesy, you put a link on here you should also put a link on there, (Roy would).

The other sites you talk about, Roy either built with/for them or they asked his advice, so no coincidence they look similar.

Nowhere on this thread have you directly asked Roy for advice, it looks more like you want to steal it from willing members, you are a member of this site, if there is something about it you would like to know and also advice for your own site, P.M. him or the moderators the majority of them run their own sites independently of this one. But they do at least give people the chance to see the work and effort Roy has put into this site by linking it to their sites!

Last edited by Less; 18-10-2006 at 18:31.
Old 18-10-2006, 18:46   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Less, stop trying to put him off. I am hoping he will be too busy with his own forum to come onto ours.
Old 18-10-2006, 18:59   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Less, stop trying to put him off. I am hoping he will be too busy with his own forum to come onto ours.
Sooooooorrrrry, I forgot!
Old 18-10-2006, 19:37   #20
Beacon of light

This is a good forum because it has a lot of diversity. Things which most folk have some interest in.....local stuff, local politics.....opinions about news topics......technical information...the gallery.....and if there is anything you want to know, well you can bet your neck that there is someone on here who will be able to give you the info you need.

Personally I like the general chat, the Arcade, the Journal and the gallery.(especially the comp)
I'm not much into sport so I never visit the sport orientated bits of the forum....I can't get to grips with the chatroom.
Old 18-10-2006, 20:04   #21
God Member

Not looking for direct advice I'm looking for general.
Can you steal advice? I'm asking what you think this sites good points are and bad if any. Also what could be added to it. people post it if they wish to. It may ven get us something that a lot of memebers want on here.

Last edited by Madhatter; 18-10-2006 at 20:09.
Old 18-10-2006, 21:51   #22
God Member

What makes this a good... 18-10-2006 22:34 Link it you knob

another reason why I won't link cos of d heads that give abusive negative.
total retards.
Old 18-10-2006, 21:53   #23
God Member

You do seem to attract them, perhaps you need to consider why?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 18-10-2006, 23:24   #24
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
What makes this a good... 18-10-2006 22:34 Link it you knob

another reason why I won't link cos of d heads that give abusive negative.
total retards.
Okay, so you you blatently admit you only link from here to your forum to steal some of our google pagerank? You then go on to say you don't link to us because you don't want your members knowing where you got your ideas from, and then you say another reason is because people give you bad karma here!!! Well - welcome to banned signature land, no more linking for you.

Note to moderators - If madhatter ever links to his site again, please instantly delete the message and issue a warning. If it happens again then you have permission to ban him!

It's common courtesy to link between websites, you have never asked permission to link yours and then you blatently say you are using this forum for your own good without even thinking it would be courteous to link back.... (swear sensor would now be in overdrive if i typed what i really felt).
Old 18-10-2006, 23:35   #25
God Member

Roy we already know hatter takes ideas from here to his own - we caught him out do you not remember that?

Best thing about Accyweb is the members - you can make great friends on here and have a laugh with people. This website & members got me thro a dark period earlier on this year. It cheered me up left right & centre. I enjoy reading all the threads and journals. Like looking at the Gallery and the old pictures of Accy etc. But Accyweb wouldnt be here without Roy would it?

Will you do something dont encourage hatter entwisi, less & Neil please dont
Old 19-10-2006, 00:39   #26
God Member

I've never hidden the fact that I link to from here to help page rank.
I don't want trouble makers following me here from links I place on my site.
I do not see any benefit to accyweb by linking to here. it won't improve google ranking it wont get you members, only trouble makers. If you want me to though so much I will.
I would ask friends to join but i'd be introducing them to hostile karma.
I've never hidden where I got my ideas from or some post ideas, they know where, just that most don't know the url so don't bother trolling.
As I said I haven't just got ideas from this site, I go on many forums I also got ideas from msn forums which is where my first one was based.
Instead of going against me all the time why don't you help me like neal and jason do. This is the first time I've asked for help on here and all I've got is hostility for stealling this stealing that. There is nothing I can give back.

And yes I have thought very often about linking back, how can you say what I've thought. Why would I not want to link to a site that other than a few idiots misusing karma I praise so much.

It's also common courtesy to request that I delete my signature if I'm not prepared to link back, not just go and do it.
with that I'll say good bye.

Last edited by Madhatter; 19-10-2006 at 00:43.
Old 19-10-2006, 00:49   #27
God Member

I don't want trouble makers following me here from links I place on my site.
Hatters website Total Members: 35

Most of them are already members of Accy web so why should they read whats going on on Accyweb and then open yr site up and read exactly the same?
Old 19-10-2006, 00:53   #28
God Member

gotta admit MH i visited your site earlier and it was like reading accyweb all over again sorry but no originality
Old 19-10-2006, 01:13   #29
God Member

Hatters web site 35 members . MEANING?
Non of my members are members of accyweb as far as I know.

Very little of my content is from here so if thats true then going on every other forum must be like coming on here too. So maybe it's here thats got no originality. Do you really think that your the only people that reads the news or fun sites that post on forums. I've hardly been here lately anyway so I'd love to know how I've copied here.

It's also not my members that I don't want on here, I have some very nice members, It's trolling members off the other forum down there that have joined my forum to cause trouble.

Think your problem is you read what you want to read not whats written and meant. I've repeatedly told you why I don't link to here.

ah I see, you mean I've gained two members in 24 hours. thats very good considering its hosted on proboards and my forwarding link was 165 last week but is 32 today.

How I really feel is that if I were owner of an established forum and I had a n active member that was starting a forum based on a town 100 miles away i'd help not obstruct.
when I get this new forum set up I shall make sure I put a list of both.

Last edited by Madhatter; 19-10-2006 at 01:29.
Old 19-10-2006, 02:07   #30
God Member

Infact looking and comparing this and mine I take it back because other than ideas for a few boards about 4 or 5 the rest and the structure order is totally different to here.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..