Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12   #31
God Member

Re: Whats happened to Accrington????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
And you would know its not safe because you live where?
I live in Spain.
I have lived in Church, worked in Accrington over the years and have got friends and relations in the area who I can trust and believe what they tell me.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2009, 09:35   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I used to love coming up from London every month or so, and nightlife in Accy was buzzing.

Ok you might not bump into as many famous face up here, but it was cracking night out, especially Sunday.

It is rubbish now, and like others have said, give Burnley a try Amanda.

Better to spend money on a cab than watch the tumble weed blow down Church Street.
Funny that Rindi the tumble weeds blowing about the town centre was a phrase I used in a letter to the Obsever just prior to the 1998 local electionswhen Labour had been in power for 12 years

Last edited by jaysay; 03-03-2009 at 09:38.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Funny that Rindi the tumble weeds blowing about the town centre was a phrase I used in a letter to the Obsever just prior to the 1998 local electionswhen Labour had been in power for 12 years
I think I used it first in a letter in 1982, describing how Hyndburn was faring under the then government of the day.

Perhaps it impressed you so much that you subconsciencely squirreled it away for future use.

After all they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03   #34
Full Member+

Yes Accrington's night life has died on it's feet but it is the same in many towns throughout the country. Pubs which used to be locals, with their own identity, have been turned into trendy bars with no soul, just conversation killing loud music. The town centre pubs all had loud music and the atmosphere in those places was fantastic. To some the pub crawl was an excuse to drink the entire town dry but to most, wandering around the pubs, was what you did.
There was some trouble around town but nowhere near the level that we see today. I wonder if one of the causes is the type of drinks which are available these days. Those alcopops, which could fuel a motorbike, are drunk in large quantities, people lose control and get into all sorts of scrapes. There are other violence inducing substances available too but alcohol alone can do more than it's share of damage.

As for knocking your own town, that is something we Brits are very good at but we are wasting our time, the politicians are too busy protecting themselves from cross party snide attacks to take any notice of the electorate.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31   #35
Senior Member+

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you all (fair enough I live in Ossy, but its all Hyndburn) Burnley is a far better night out, dont really shop much there, I have no need to as for £5-80 I can get a return to Manchester, and you cant get better shopping anywhere.

I even went to London last week it cost me £13 return! I'd do that every week! Why not!?

Trust me the second I can get out of this place then I'll do it like a shot. Can't wait to move away!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think I used it first in a letter in 1982, describing how Hyndburn was faring under the then government of the day.

Perhaps it impressed you so much that you subconsciencely squirreled it away for future use.

After all they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
ya but who's imitating who Rindi
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you all (fair enough I live in Ossy, but its all Hyndburn) Burnley is a far better night out, dont really shop much there, I have no need to as for £5-80 I can get a return to Manchester, and you cant get better shopping anywhere.

I even went to London last week it cost me £13 return! I'd do that every week! Why not!?

Trust me the second I can get out of this place then I'll do it like a shot. Can't wait to move away!
I only went to live in Rossendale Lolly, but couldn't wait to get back to good old Ossy and having worked all over the country and extensively in Scotland and Wales too there's no place like Ossy believe me
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56   #38
Senior Member+

Dont agree with that though jaysay sorry, but everyones different. I lived in Cyprus for a year and getting away was tnhe best thing I ever did, I only came back because of family commitments (my brother was going in the army and i wanted to see him before he got posted anywhere.)

Its more difficult getting away now I have Harry, but I will do! Theres no nightlife, theres no shopping, theres no jobs, what the hell is there to keep me here?
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:37   #39
God Member

Burnley is crap for shopping, i ventured there a couple of weeks ago with my sister and we where walking around for ages trying to find a decent shop, Burnley is full of tat, maybe the dingles like it but i dont
Old 03-03-2009, 13:17   #40
God Member

Have`nt been out in Accy for ages , i would`nt waste my hard earned cash.........bus/train to Manchester for a great day out shopping or a great day&night drinking and far safer too
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 13:48   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
There's little interest to make Accrington compete with Burnley in terms of both night life and shopping.
Don't quite see what so great about the Burnley shopping experience. From what I've seen of it, it just looks like a slightly bigger version of Accy shopping centre. If you're going to make the effort to go out of town to do your shopping, it's surely worth the extra half-hour to go to Manchester. Best variety of shops in the North from major chains to quirky little backstreet emporiums and, as you know, Shakey, best choice of record shops in the UK, outside of London!
Old 03-03-2009, 14:47   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post

I agree with Lolly here to a certain point.
I was born and bread in Ossy and wherever I ventured I always returned , It was like some kind of magnetic force that kept drawing me back there.
NOT any more im affraid,
Once my mother died I had no real need to stay in the area. Its not that I didnt like it at the time , I was and always will be proud of my roots but this last few years its gone a lot worse.
When I moved Back over here for the 2nd time My kids finally rolled on at school mainly because they werent being asked to get heavily involed in multi cultural activities, they could finally study what they were supposed to be studying and school became a much happier place for them . Just wish Id have moved my kids schools at the beginning of thier education .
However the folk of Ossy and accy IMO are the best in the world without a doubt, You get what you see with locals and to me and the way I was brought up is most important.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 17:30   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't quite see what so great about the Burnley shopping experience. From what I've seen of it, it just looks like a slightly bigger version of Accy shopping centre. If you're going to make the effort to go out of town to do your shopping, it's surely worth the extra half-hour to go to Manchester. Best variety of shops in the North from major chains to quirky little backstreet emporiums and, as you know, Shakey, best choice of record shops in the UK, outside of London!
Well yeah of course Manchester wins hands down every time! Burnley came up though and I was only comparing the two towns.
With regards to shopping and daily consumerism - Burnley's market is better, the town centre has more high street shops, that massive Tesco is a country mile better than our asda, the cinema there isn't the sespit that ours is... etc.
Accy has become a grimy little place, but it's home.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:02   #44
God Member

So the concensus is that home is were the heart is regardless of how bad it gets?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:23   #45
Resting in Peace

Presume you wouldn't consider other pursuits like our History Societies, events at the Civic Theatre, programme for women's culture, Haworth art gallery, etc., etc., etc. LOL. We are not just one big nightclub entertainment here.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..