Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 10:06   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Whats happened to Accrington????

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Burnley is crap for shopping, i ventured there a couple of weeks ago with my sister and we where walking around for ages trying to find a decent shop, Burnley is full of tat, maybe the dingles like it but i dont

you mean you wandered around for hours trying to find tesco's - which was staring you inf the face
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not even a nightclub entertainment here kate
I know, came out a bit wrong .. meant to say is that all you want or summat..

[quote=jaysay;688620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
A snob kate shocked and stunned and just a little amazed
Haha, well after just one excursion to the King's Hall ... have been a little fussy ever since ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Haha, well after just one excursion to the King's Hall ... have been a little fussy ever since ... LOL.
yeh need to get out more the Kings Hall (Flea Pit) was demolished oer 40 yrs ago.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh need to get out more the Kings Hall (Flea Pit) was demolished oer 40 yrs ago.
Shushhhhhhhhhh cashy kate's lived a sheltered life
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57   #65

Ever been to Rawtenstall shopping? Don't bother. Accrington has a great shopping centre which I use often. Our precinct has a Post Office and an Ethel Austins, everything else is boarded up. As for night life, you might as well sit in Accy cemetry there's more life there. They filmed some scenes for that TV series (?Survivors) in our town centre and didn't have much to do to make it look like an abandoned ghost town. We do have a nice little market tho and a few nice but expensive shops on the main street. Don't knock Accy's shopping centre. If you do come to Rawtenstall will the last one out turn the lights off!!
mrsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb View Post
Ever been to Rawtenstall shopping? Don't bother. Accrington has a great shopping centre which I use often. Our precinct has a Post Office and an Ethel Austins, everything else is boarded up. As for night life, you might as well sit in Accy cemetry there's more life there. They filmed some scenes for that TV series (?Survivors) in our town centre and didn't have much to do to make it look like an abandoned ghost town. We do have a nice little market tho and a few nice but expensive shops on the main street. Don't knock Accy's shopping centre. If you do come to Rawtenstall will the last one out turn the lights off!!
see every cloud has a silver lining sorry to hear that mrsb, the "Rocker" used to be a grand little town, also had a great venue the "Astoria" had many a happy night up yon.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
ya cashy, dave's got a lot to answer for, although he's not that bad for a Dingle

Introducing an improved species in to an alien territory is not something to answer for, it's to be commended
Old 04-03-2009, 13:07   #68
Senior Member+

Must admit nights out arnt the same these days. Usually call in at Brooks Club on Fri or Sat, at least you know theres entertainment on, but some nights can be very quiet in there. The Abbey Pub is pretty decent and gets a few in at weekend, sometimes go the Arden too, but thats been quiet for a while. Stanhill WMC seems to do ok on Sats, but you have to put up with the dreaded Bingo!! Ive noticed that apart from the pub and clubs guide "the Entertainer" that places dont advertise anymore, if they've got anything on, or any special promotions, and the like. I'm sure its probably been suggested before, and i would'nt be sure the best way of going about it, but would it be at all possible to have a "Whats On" section started on Accyweb, perhaps for pubs and clubs to put their own information on, on a weekly basis, to let people know of current or forthcoming events. Perhaps each venue could have its own thread. Obviously that would mean letting each establishment know that this facility was available to them, perhaps via a leaflet. But long term it could prove beneficial to them, and obviously to all users of Accyweb, because we would always know in advance if anything was going on that we would like to see. I realise a lot of places probably wont keep things updated, but at least they'd be offered a chance this way, that would'nt cost owt, and their own fault if they did'nt take advantage of an offer like that!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 16:35   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Introducing an improved species in to an alien territory is not something to answer for, it's to be commended
Self flattery gets you nowhere dave, especially in Accy
Old 04-03-2009, 16:47   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I'm sure its probably been suggested before, and i would'nt be sure the best way of going about it, but would it be at all possible to have a "Whats On" section started on Accyweb, perhaps for pubs and clubs to put their own information on, on a weekly basis, to let people know of current or forthcoming events. Perhaps each venue could have its own thread.
Best Regards - Taggy
There already is;
Nightlife, Events, Days out - Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2009, 16:51   #71
Senior Member+

....But no one who runs any of the Pubs/Clubs seems to be using it or even be aware of it, if they are told there is this facility it could prove beneficial to them and all Accy Web users!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 16:08   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
burnley has a much more easy going atmosphere
Burnley has a WHAT??...it must've changed one helluva a lot since I used to down there. Mind you it was 35-40 years ago. "Easy going atmosphere" is possibly the least apt description I could ever imagine for the Boot Inn.
Old 05-03-2009, 16:11   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Burnley has a WHAT??...it must've changed one helluva a lot since I used to down there. Mind you it was 35-40 years ago. "Easy going atmosphere" is possibly the least apt description I could ever imagine for the Boot Inn.
Think you forgot the smileys after Boot Inn Wynonie
Old 05-03-2009, 16:22   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I know this will come as a shock but they even have leccy now

Boot Inn became Yates Wine Lodge, now there's a contrast in use
Old 05-03-2009, 18:25   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I know Cashy, but still suffering from post traumatic stress after all these years.

Do like the Burnley cinema a little better though, just the ambiance like.
Definitely a better night in the centre .. not sure why (used to be really rough) .. maybe because they have themed their pubs more .. dunno really.
Strange The Bridge gets busy in Accy ... can't get any rougher or dirtier than that .. so just atmosphere or summat.

Would love to see some lovely wine bars in the new proposed square, with small Bistros and outside covered areas with trellises and dangling vines where you could sit and have a drink in comfort.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..