Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2010, 12:48   #1
God Member

What's the difference between a Chiropractor and an Osteopath?

I've hurt my back - I was carrying some stuff (not heavy) and it wouldn't quite fit through the door so I twisted to go through, I felt a searing pain in my lower back and now I'm in agony, plus I can feel it's giving me a pressure headache.

I've made an emergency appointment to go to an Osteopath on Warner St but I don't know if that's what I really need, do I need a chiropracor?

Can anyone recommend any?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2010, 13:09   #2

Re: What's the difference between a Chiropractor and an Osteopath?

Found on the web

Is there a difference between a chiropractor and an osteopath?

I have hurt my lower back while lifting something and am not sure which one I should see.

Answer
Chiropractors and osteopaths represent different schools of physical therapy that offer, amongst other things, manipulation of joints.

Both disciplines undertake several years of in-depth training, but they use different approaches to manipulation.

There are no comparative studies to suggest one is better. It really comes down to the personal choice of individuals.

The best thing to do would be to ask the opinion of other people who've consulted physical therapists in your local area, and then try the one with the best references.
Old 14-01-2010, 14:43   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

A Chiropractor will have to charge you more money than a Osteopath because they use a quarter more ink when printing their business cards.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 15:04   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I've hurt my back - I was carrying some stuff (not heavy) and it wouldn't quite fit through the door so I twisted to go through, I felt a searing pain in my lower back and now I'm in agony, plus I can feel it's giving me a pressure headache.

I've made an emergency appointment to go to an Osteopath on Warner St but I don't know if that's what I really need, do I need a chiropracor?

Can anyone recommend any?
Think what you really need is a gofer to do the carrying for you Gayle
Old 14-01-2010, 15:09   #5
God Member

Well, I got to the osteopaths and it turns out that they had booked me in with the chiropody practitioner and not the osteopath practitioner. So, it didn't seem much point in having the consultation as it's my back that's hurting and not my feet!

Old 14-01-2010, 15:17   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well, I got to the osteopaths and it turns out that they had booked me in with the chiropody practitioner and not the osteopath practitioner. So, it didn't seem much point in having the consultation as it's my back that's hurting and not my feet!
Could have had a quick pedicure while you were there Gayle
Old 14-01-2010, 15:57   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I forgot to ask how your back was when we spoke before - I am rude. I sorted it out by the way and should have it tomorrow afternoon.
Old 14-01-2010, 16:01   #8
God Member

You weren't rude, well no more than usual
Thanks for sorting the other thing out.

Old 14-01-2010, 16:31   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
At least it's a step in the right direction.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 18:56   #10
Senior Member+

I've used a few different physical therapy options over the last 16 years and I can safely say you do better with someone you are comfortable with. I injured my knee last may and went to see a lady in baxenden (Baxenden Sports Injury Clinic, Manchester Road), she was fantastic and deals with everything from backs to knees to necks etc.

I would happily recommend her to anyone, she sorted the problem for me and was a very nice person too (although the therapy side was a tad painful!!), it was a completely different experience from my previous injury repair experiences and I'll be going back to her should I get anymore injuries.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..