Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32   #1

What's the latest with the Victorian Arcade?

Anyone know what's the latest with the Victorian Arcade? I can see a newspaper story dated Jan 2013 about the number of businesses picking up which is good, but no updates on the restoration of it via a Heritage Lottery Bid.

I have a vested interest because the arcade, and improvements to Blackburn road itself have a direct impact on the through traffic to Warner St.

Also, what's all this talk about putting a bus lane on Warner St? Only way to do that would be to remove left side parking, killing off any remaining visitors to the street.

Thanks.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2013, 15:30   #2
God Member

Re: What's the latest with the Victorian Arcade?

they need to get rid of teh parking accross from the blind shop thats for sure .Its a joke using half teh street for parking spaces and keeping it a 2 way street

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:41   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
they need to get rid of teh parking accross from the blind shop thats for sure .Its a joke using half teh street for parking spaces and keeping it a 2 way street

Especially when the blind people are driving the cars.
Restless likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 16:57   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Especially when the blind people are driving the cars.

there have been great advancements in getting the blind back behind the wheel

teaching labridors to bark once for right and twice for left has been one of the big advancements

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 20-03-2013, 18:33   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
I can see a newspaper story dated Jan 2013 about the number of businesses picking up which is good, but no updates on the restoration of it via a Heritage Lottery Bid.

Is Heritage Lottery Funding available for private property ?
Old 21-03-2013, 08:04   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Is Heritage Lottery Funding available for private property ?
It explains here that if private owners are involved, they expect the public benefit to be greater than any private gain What we fund - Heritage Lottery Fund

So I think the answer is yes.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:06   #7
God Member

so dave get that application for a gunners turret on your shop roof in and help benefit the public
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.

Old 21-03-2013, 09:28   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It explains here that if private owners are involved, they expect the public benefit to be greater than any private gain What we fund - Heritage Lottery Fund

So I think the answer is yes.
So what's the public benefit there then ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
so dave get that application for a gunners turret on your shop roof in and help benefit the public
I'll download the forms
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 21-03-2013, 13:15   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
So what's the public benefit there then ?
I would guess something to do with preserving the history of the town for future generations
Old 22-03-2013, 02:33   #10

Yes you can apply for lottery funding for the maintenance of a historic building whether privately owned or not. There are also grants available to renovate (remember one being given out to a guy in Bolton who converted some huge historic town centre building into a restaurant).

I was just wondering if anyone actually had applied and if it was going to happen. It's discussed in the Accrington Town Plan but as with much of that the entire plan may have died due to the govts finances....
Old 22-03-2013, 16:34   #11
Resting in Peace

they should flatten the arndale and make good use of the arcade.... lets be different: and have a fine old victorian shopping centre...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 17:04   #12
Beacon of light

I agree Magpie...use the arndale site for the bus station.
It would make sense, but that is probably why they don't do it!
magpie likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 17:58   #13
Senior Member+

Arcade isn't big enough?? or is it? Thinking of all the closed shops perhaps its a good idea
Old 24-03-2013, 00:39   #14

What's the latest with the Victorian Arcade?

Completely agree, Arndale should be flattened. Even the name, which is used in multiple towns around the country shouts "avoid"

I'm biased of course because I acquire a couple of places in Warner Street this week. Renovation will start immediately, and I look forward to getting started.
Old 24-03-2013, 02:15   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Completely agree, Arndale should be flattened. Even the name, which is used in multiple towns around the country shouts "avoid"

I'm biased of course because I acquire a couple of places in Warner Street this week. Renovation will start immediately, and I look forward to getting started.
Was one of them the multi coloured ex child nursery? I viewed it for rent a few months ago and it needs a lot of work inside

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..