Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2015, 21:07   #1
Senior Member+

What's your favourite?

What's your favourite sarnie?

From the varied array of high street (bulk made) sandwiches to gourmet homemade versions, I was wondering what folks best sandwich was.

Personally,I love a good BSE (bacon,sausage and egg) with dab of brown sauce or grated cheese (on brown wholewheat bread to balance the scales).
No toms though as the juice tends to migrate into the bread,threatening structural integrity
You can stop the migration of tom juice from destroying your bread by adding a thin coating of butter but, to be honest,I don't care much for tomatoes (and it's wishful thinking, thinking that your barricade will hold).
There was a time I went through a pie on a tea-cake phase too but I've gone off them as I tend to get heartburn

So,what's your fave?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2015, 21:25   #2
God Member

Re: What's your favourite?

Can't beat a good old cheese & tomato butty - no frills needed, comfort food at it's best imo
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 01:05   #3

Bacon and tomato sauce always goes down well in the 1954 household, as does spam with a hint of piccalilli. Currently the dear mater has a hankering for thinly sliced tomato sandwiches. She has not mentioned issues of structural integrity, but I will broach the subject next time she has one.

I hope this information is of use to you!

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-03-2015 at 01:13.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 06:39   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Can't beat a good old cheese & tomato butty - no frills needed, comfort food at it's best imo
Thinly sliced onions in place of the toms and your onto a winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Bacon and tomato sauce always goes down well in the 1954 household, as does spam with a hint of piccalilli. Currently the dear mater has a hankering for thinly sliced tomato sandwiches. She has not mentioned issues of structural integrity, but I will broach the subject next time she has one.

I hope this information is of use to you!
I'm not a fan of piccalilli either but spam an egg goes down a treat (toasted breads a extra bonus).
Cheers,the info its greatly appreciated

password--Accyweb
Old 21-03-2015, 08:03   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Bacon on melted strong cheese fer me, a winner every time,
Old 21-03-2015, 08:15   #6

Egg Sandwiches are my favourite, but opening a packet of them indoors can often get some sideways glances from people wondering about the smell.

Accyexplorer likes this.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:08   #7
Senior Member+

Best butter and strawberry jam clarted on thick.
Old 21-03-2015, 10:18   #8
Senior Member+

Mrs explorer is currently making Aberdeen Angus and thinly sliced red onion on warby's bread (for me) and prawn Mayo on French bread for herself.
We are planning on going for a wander later this aft and hopefully it's going to be quite hunger inducing

password--Accyweb
Old 21-03-2015, 10:35   #9

The 1954 family likes Warburton's White Danish, as it adds to the eating experience.

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-03-2015 at 10:37.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 11:52   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Mrs explorer is currently making Aberdeen Angus and thinly sliced red onion on warby's bread (for me) and prawn Mayo on French bread for herself.
We are planning on going for a wander later this aft and hopefully it's going to be quite hunger inducing
Wander up the stanley, the Clayton End is very hunger inducing.
Old 21-03-2015, 12:42   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Wander up the stanley, the Clayton End is very hunger inducing.
Not always Cashy, sometimes what happens on our pitch puts you right off your tea
Accyexplorer likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 19:26   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Best butter and strawberry jam clarted on thick.
Always best on a good thick slice of crust.
Likewise lemon cheese(not curd) with sliced banana is very tasty too.
When I was a student nurse at BRI we used to get sent for tea at 3pm. I used to get a packet of salt and vinegar crisps two slices of buttered bread(though I suspect the butter was actually marge) and put sliced banana onto the bread with a good layer of crisps.
My colleagues used to pull their faces and go yeuk....but many tried the combo and liked it.
Sliced granny smith with some strong cheddar on a barm cake is good.

I have never yet tried a pie on a barm cake....it just seems all wrong...but then I guess you could say that about banana and salt and vinegar crisps.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 21-03-2015 at 19:31.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 19:40   #13

For me there are several, but smooth peanut butter and sliced banana on whole wheat bread is a breakfast favourite. I know that my Mum has one every day for breakfast, and when I visit her she makes one for me. Comfort food for sure!

For lunch I like a good German rye bread - Tiefenfurter works well in the structural integrity department - with thinly sliced meat of some kind (ham, Montreal smoked meat, Mennonite Summer Sausage or whatever is to hand) with a nice tasty aged white cheddar, onion and tomato. This is then grilled to melty crisp gooiness (that is possible, trust me!)

For any time of day, I really enjoy a poppy seed bagel toasted lightly, with a fried egg, lettuce tomato and mayonnaise.

Gee, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it Hah hah.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 19:56   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
For me there are several, but smooth peanut butter and sliced banana on whole wheat bread is a breakfast favourite. I know that my Mum has one every day for breakfast, and when I visit her she makes one for me. Comfort food for sure!

For lunch I like a good German rye bread - Tiefenfurter works well in the structural integrity department - with thinly sliced meat of some kind (ham, Montreal smoked meat, Mennonite Summer Sausage or whatever is to hand) with a nice tasty aged white cheddar, onion and tomato. This is then grilled to melty crisp gooiness (that is possible, trust me!)

For any time of day, I really enjoy a poppy seed bagel toasted lightly, with a fried egg, lettuce tomato and mayonnaise.

Gee, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it Hah hah.
I like the peanut butter and banana ... but not sliced, just squished. And Montreal smoked meat on rye is great ... I like mine with sliced polskie ogorki ... A good breakfast sandwich: fried egg (sunny and runny), fried baloney, and a slice of Swiss ... and it's messy and stays in the beard for days.
Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 20:37   #15

Polskie Pickles - yeah, but not for breakfast. Hubbie on the other hand likes them any time of day
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..