Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2013, 20:08   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: When is the 2nd Coming - Coming?

Was Bob Dobson one of those 40?
Old 19-04-2013, 20:34   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was Bob Dobson one of those 40?
I doubt it. Bob wouldn't be interested unless God was born in Accrington.
Stevie R likes this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 19-04-2013 at 20:42.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 21:09   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Just a slight interjection with regard to the bible. At the start of the thread the bible was held up to be the word of god, it is far from that, it is in fact comprised of contributions from 40 authors.

The bible came into existence when the council of Nicaea set about compiling gospels to unite the Christians with a single book. Emperor Constantine (274-337) (emperor from 306-337) ordered it to search out and include all the gospels that supported and professed to be the word of god. Its interesting that the gospel according to Judas wasn't included.

So the bible is 66 gospels by 40 authors, compiled and turned into one book in the year 325 ad, that is 325 years after the man called Jesus was walking the earth. So it is not the word of god, but the word of 40 people who wrote gospels over a period of 1500 years, hence the old and new testaments.

I write this not to say definitively whether god exists or not, just to correct the statement that the bible is the word of god, and if people knock on your door saying it is, then they are starting with a lie.

Right thats all I can manage for now, all this serious stuff gives me a bout of giddiness
fantastic post. Never known
Old 19-04-2013, 21:24   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
fantastic post. Never known
Its handy to know when you get an Evangelist knocking on the door, incidentally it is a personal record that I have never stopped talking to a Jehovah's Mormon at the door, they have always said they must get on and made their excuses and left.

A question they wont or can't answer, when they say, in the beginning there was nothing, and god made the heaven and the earth. Well who made god ?
Restless likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 21:29   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Its handy to know when you get an Evangelist knocking on the door, incidentally it is a personal record that I have never stopped talking to a Jehovah's Mormon at the door, they have always said they must get on and made their excuses and left.

A question they wont or can't answer, when they say, in the beginning there was nothing, and god made the heaven and the earth. Well who made god ?
It would be even handier if i could remember it all.
Old 19-04-2013, 21:34   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
It would be even handier if i could remember it all.

Print the thread out and stick it on the back of the front door.
cashman likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 21:49   #53
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Or heresy
Uuhhmm, Myleene Klass & Kym Marsh
Stevie R likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 21:52   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Uuhhmm, Myleene Klass & Kym Marsh
First dibs on Myleene.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 21:54   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
First dibs on Myleene.
Another un thats not fussy.
Old 19-04-2013, 21:56   #56
Senior Member+

And just in case Michelle Keegan comes available, put me down for her as well.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 22:08   #57
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Another un thats not fussy.
I'd not climb over her to get to you.
Old 19-04-2013, 22:08   #58
Senior Member+

The stuff we were taught about the bible, when you look into it, turns out not to be true, or the subject of the many translation errors from Hebrew, Aramaic, ancient Greek, Greek new testament and King James translation.

Just a few things to ponder over as I am going off line shortly.

Jesus was not actually called Jesus, he was called Yeshua (Hebrew) which translated to Joshua in English.

Jesus was probably not a carpenter, he was described as being a "Tekton", this was the name given to trades in general, and if you think about it wood was a scarce commodity.

We all have a mental visual image of Jesus, yet his description is not stated in the bible. So how have we got the image of a young man with long hair a beard and a kindly face.

my comments are not to disprove the almighty, just to make you think that religious teachings down the years have been massaged to present an image that never existed.
kestrelx likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 22:23   #59
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Jesus was probably not a carpenter.
Well of course he wasn't, that was his owd fella. The long haired layabout was a scuzzy student, sloping off first chance he got & was out getting bevvied with his mates, probably studied philosophy / psychology (dabbled a bit in event catering too from rumours) or some such but never finished the course.
gpick24 likes this.
Old 20-04-2013, 01:34   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:

question I ask my dad and then he asks the rather silly question about the chicken/egg

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..