Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 15:03   #16
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: where can i go?

Hey Flashy, since the Washington DC/Culpeper, Virginia area is abit far, how bout taking him to the library. Not sure if he's into books or not (kinda a lost art with kids these days! ).

I just think a library is neat for a kid cause they can visit the whole world without leaving the home. Is he into History, Animals, Science, etc.? Get him into to American Civil War History. When Culpeper comes up he can tell his mates that "me uncle BEA lives there!"

Just a few more ideas love!

Cheers All,

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2007, 15:06   #17
God Member

cheers for that Brian, i cant get anything out the library myself, i owe them some money from a few years ago lol
Old 05-04-2007, 15:12   #18
Yank in King Art's Court!

Now that's a hoot flashy! So the boy's gotta suffer for Mum's overindulgences eh? Come on Flashy go ahead and pay up and get Reece a library card.

Or, an alternate rout, have Uncle Rindy or Auntie Tinks adopt him so he can get library privaleges. Don't tell me Tinks is banned too now?

BEA

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 15:25   #19
God Member

lol it wouldnt surprise me if she was actually hahahaha...Reece has got a library card actually
Old 05-04-2007, 15:25   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
what do you want to do when you get there? look at buildings, go shopping, etc? how about staying round here and visiting places like Only Foals and Horses? or Bleakholt animal sanctuary. or do a project on history of Accy. Look at the old buildings we have, investigate the Crest, get him to find out what life would have been like for a 10 YO 100 years ago in Accy.

if you must get away, Southport is nice, plenty of run around space, a pleasure beach, boating lake, minature train, shopping streets, family pubs for lunch.

If he is into cars, warton Stock cars is a fun day out. I believe its banger racing this weekend (8th) which is hilarious.
Actually, staying in the community and the immediate local area is not a bad idea. In Kingston, at the March break, community organizations put on things for the kids ... the maple sugar and syrup festival at Cataraqui Conservation center is one of them. Not that Accy can do that, but things like that should be possible.

This weekend here will be good for sledding, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing. Damn it and I just got my old Yamaha out of storage
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 15:27   #21
God Member

the weathers quite nice here Eric, dont think we'd be able to go sledging
Old 05-04-2007, 15:40   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
cheers for that Brian, i cant get anything out the library myself, i owe them some money from a few years ago lol

Yes, how's that wall of shelving, and all those desk and chairs, looking in your gaff?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 15:54   #23
Super Moderator

Take him up t'Stanley on Saturday. Go to the office and fill in a form and he gets in for nowt!
Old 05-04-2007, 16:07   #24
Resident Waffler

10 is a great age for exploring the local area. What about doing the Acorn Trail? We did it a couple of years ago when my youngest was 10, and 2 or 3 years before that when her older sister was 10 or 11. We do lots of walking in the fresh air which is great for kids. When we had a dog I walked the legs of Mimi's friend one day when she came with us. She just wasn't used to it.

There's a bus service from Carnforth to Warton - if you want a taxi I have the phone number of a Carnforth taxi firm but as it's a one man band type thing they may decide not to operate if they have family things they are doing like taking the kids somewhere! You could always walk it. We used to spend every summer on a farm outsde of Carnforth and walk to Carnforth and then from Carnforth to Warton. Can't beat staying in an out of the way place with no car to make kids get a bit of excercise and fresh air. We're having a change now though because the farm/caravan field owner had become a trifle odd.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 19:27   #25
Resting in Peace

I always stayed local Flashy on Bank Holidays or where the roads are not too crowded, as no fun for a 10 year old in a traffic jam is there ?

Used to do Eddisford Bridge, Ribchester, but my favourite was over the Trough of Bowland .. stop at the Ice Cream van as it goes down into the dip.. wonderful place to let them paddle, take picnic further on the road into the woods, and finally, early evening, venture into Morecambe, visiting Happy Mount Park.

Heaton Park is great too, boating lake, animal sanctuary and over Easter they have a family fun fair. Have a lovely Easter wherever you end up .. xx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 20:02   #26
God Member

my ex is taking us out somewhere next week (he doesnt know it yet but seen as he has 12 days off he can take us somewhere) i love edisford bridge, i go there pretty regulary on the train, its a lovely walk down that road from the train station, i was in the trough of bowland the other week with mi daddy, it beautiful round there....might get richard to take us to the lakes again, i usually go by train but you see much more when your in the car, i especially love Hawkshead, i always pack a picnic wherever i go, reece thinks its hilarious when i take my flask with me

thanx everyone xx
Old 05-04-2007, 20:16   #27
Resident Waffler

What's wrong with a flask? Is it not hip enough?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 20:26   #28
God Member

seems you have good weather at the moment , a cheap kite and Pendle hill can't be beat for a youngster,make sure you buy extra loads of string, or get him to take you out for an hour or two on the rowing boats at Queens Park (if they still have them) ideal way for a lad to show his Mum he is growing up .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 20:32   #29
God Member

the rowing boats at queens park went years ago steeljack me and mi dad where on about this the other day, they would make a fortune if they brought them back...i literally live 5 minutes away from queens park, we go there a lot in summer on our bikes
Old 05-04-2007, 20:39   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
the rowing boats at queens park went years ago steeljack me and mi dad where on about this the other day, they would make a fortune if they brought them back...i literally live 5 minutes away from queens park, we go there a lot in summer on our bikes
Thats sad, probably for some daft safety reasons and council liability , but dont think I ever heard of anyone drowning in all years of my growing up,

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..