Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2006, 23:59   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Where is Accy wouldn't you live??

i think an easier question would be,where would you want to live in accy?
Old 14-10-2006, 10:28   #77

Ok can I have my two penneth worth please?

We've not lived in Accy that long, we bought a house in the Avenue Parade area stayed there for around 2 years, then sold it within a week so we had to find somewhere to rent really quickly.

Not wanting to go through the rip off merchants which are estate agents we had to find somewhere private. Easier said than done.

Not knowing Accy that well, we ended up in yes, you guessed it WOODNOOK.

To say it is the pits is an understatement, it makes Beirut look like Paradise. It is the worse place I have ever lived in in my life. I have never seen so many boarded up houses, so many dregs of society and heard so much foul language in my life. Now I am not a prude and I have lived a bit but this really is bad.

At night we sit with our front window slightly open and three times we have had people trying to climb in. We have had people throw rubbish in our yard, the most recent was some manky old bra that was previously seen in the middle of the road.

We have had mice and had to have enviromental health come in and throw our 3 piece suite out because they had made their homes in there. Why mice you might ask, well according to Enviromental Health its because the whole row will be infested with them, but only muggins here bothers to do something about it, so no doubt they will be back.

We have had a stabbing in our back street, we have had numerous fires, the most recent was someone dumping a settee (yes you always see them) and some cretin(s) decided to set fire to it.

There is one house on the block that is boarded up (strangely enough) and the amount of rubbish in its yard is revolting. Even dirty nappies strewn all over the back street.

Some of you may recall that recently a house was broken into on Royds St in the early hours and a guy was stabbed. Lovely isn't it.

Why are we still here you ask? Because we can't find anywhere else! I have seen a house through Sterling but they wanted a gurantor, fine but my father in law is retired so that was no good. Another house said he wanted someone in within a week so again no good (have to give 4 weeks notice) and another was way too far away from our child's school.

So please if anyone has a 2/3 bedroom house to rent, please let us know!

On areas I would like to live in? ANYWHERE so long as its not Woodnook!
MissTechnophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 10:33   #78
I am Banned

Unfortunately you get mice everywhere particulary near fields, you have the brook & lower end of our clough we have up ere too but least the b*ggers know to stay in loft for now & Less has een had a ratty prob.

Accy seems to mirror a lot of the nastiness in the world sign of the times, specially in renting that violence, drugs, rape & chavs are in most areas, we've had our share up here as other places which was in another thread somewhere. There was a stabbing down the road from us & lowlifes spoiling the neighbourhood...surely they haven't just congregated in accy alone.

Last edited by accymel; 14-10-2006 at 10:39.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 10:57   #79
God Member

The problem is for a few months we are stuck as to which area of Accrington we move in to. We have to be in the catchment area for Hollins school. It wouldn't be so bad if the LEA would actually tell anyone what the catchment area boundary is, but they seem to have some moveable wavey line that runs through the middle of Accrington.

Still not managed to persuade my daughter to change her choice of school so we are definatley stuck
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 00:41   #80
God Member

Baxenden is in the catchment area for Hollins
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 19:47   #81

Woodnook.

Lived on Park Road - quality. Good community spirit etc.

Now on Queens Road West (Dill Hall side) - Quiet, but a bit far flung (although Dill Hall circular solves this ) Nice people too.
Old 18-10-2006, 20:00   #82
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Where abouts in the Hyndburn area would you least like to live????

They used to ask this on housing forms dunno if they still do? i would say personally huncoat within grove estate area was & still no 1 no no & some areas off Blackburn road. {sorry Less & anyone else**
Well now I wonder if this will change your mind? since the last remaining houses on Charter St have now been knocked down, who's street do you suppose the fire brigade practice on every day? Also who has a really good view of them wandering up and down the street without having to move from his computer?
Calm down girl's of course I'll make you a brew when you come to visit me, but once you've cleaned the windows to get a better view theres just a matter of this pile of irioning......but don't worry I'll set the board up so you can see and if we have a few sunny and warm days left I'll even run an extension lead to the front so you can keep on watching without any need to stop working.

Last edited by Less; 18-10-2006 at 20:03.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 21:16   #83
God Member

yep, bash is nice if a bit clique'y

I'll keep my eyes open for places to rent if you want.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 11:18   #84
God Member

It would be great if anyone does spot anything to rent up that way. I suspect we will be priced out but you never know. Thanks
Old 19-10-2006, 11:27   #85
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Well now I wonder if this will change your mind? since the last remaining houses on Charter St have now been knocked down, who's street do you suppose the fire brigade practice on every day? Also who has a really good view of them wandering up and down the street without having to move from his computer?
Calm down girl's of course I'll make you a brew when you come to visit me, but once you've cleaned the windows to get a better view theres just a matter of this pile of irioning......but don't worry I'll set the board up so you can see and if we have a few sunny and warm days left I'll even run an extension lead to the front so you can keep on watching without any need to stop working.
OOoooh as much as that is such a tempting offer Less really tempting offer but you would have to mention ironing wouldn't you? - i dont do ironing!!! besides not much would get done anyways be far too distracted specially in those sunny hot days & half naked firemen hunkies you may find quite a few burn holes & that wont be just from the iron
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 11:48   #86
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
i dont do ironing!!!
Typical result from womens lib'! Next thing you know, women will be expecting the chains for the kitchen sink to be removed on a Saturday night so they can accompany their husbands to the pub, within a few years of that they'll even be expecting pubs to be 'child friendly', then we'll never have any peace.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 11:49   #87
God Member

It's even worse now, they are allowed to speak without permission
Old 19-10-2006, 11:51   #88
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
yep, bash is nice if a bit clique'y
I thought there were too many camper vans about in bash
Old 19-10-2006, 12:55   #89
God Member

Re: Where in Accy wouldn't you live??

nah, the councillers have all moved away

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 23:11   #90
God Member

Re: Where in Accy wouldn't you live??

I wouldnt like to live on Livingstone Road, all that noise and drum banging from the football match would drive me mad!!! And as for the incessant cheering and singing...............................

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..