Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2015, 18:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Where is Hyndburn going?

Ossy mills still seems to do very well.people still come from all oer, we call in at least a couple of times a week, no set days or pattern of time, and its never dead, We can have just come from a quiet accy centre on the way home n ossy mills is pretty busy. Which i would imagine "Bogtrotter"is aware of that fact, cos he lives in ossy also,
Old 22-02-2015, 19:12   #17
Beacon of light

Ossy mills is still busy by dint of the fact that coach companies use it as one of their excursions.....and sometimes there are three or four coaches there at a time.
I know that Ma and I were on a coach holiday in St Anne's and one of the trips out was to Ossy Mills.....Ma said she would give that the swerve and go on the prom instead.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 19:33   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ossy mills is still busy by dint of the fact that coach companies use it as one of their excursions.....and sometimes there are three or four coaches there at a time.
I know that Ma and I were on a coach holiday in St Anne's and one of the trips out was to Ossy Mills.....Ma said she would give that the swerve and go on the prom instead.
Thats the point i'm trying to make, its cos ossy mills is worth a visit i reckon.
Old 22-02-2015, 20:05   #19
Beacon of light

Well, Cashy those on the coach tours are a captive audience.....many go because they want to feel they have got their money's worth.
I know there are times when I have been hauled along to the Pringles centre on Anglesey....not because I actually wanted to go there,but because there were other elements of the day trip that I did want to see.....and I could not do the one I wanted unless I went along to the Pringles centre.....which,like many of these outlets,is overpriced.
Old 22-02-2015, 20:19   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Well, Cashy those on the coach tours are a captive audience.....many go because they want to feel they have got their money's worth.
I know there are times when I have been hauled along to the Pringles centre on Anglesey....not because I actually wanted to go there,but because there were other elements of the day trip that I did want to see.....and I could not do the one I wanted unless I went along to the Pringles centre.....which,like many of these outlets,is overpriced.
Aye Margaret, but me point is How many coach tours pop off at accy centre as part of the trip? also we have spoken too quite a few that have come oer in the car pretty regular, we nearly always walk unless we been down accy, cos its hard work parking yon and theres plenty of spaces.

Last edited by cashman; 22-02-2015 at 20:22.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 21:19   #21
Beacon of light

None...to my knowledge.
I do think that Ossy mills is one of the better outlets...and you can always find something in there that tickles your fancy...even if it is only Coltsfoot rock or Sarsaparilla drops
Old 22-02-2015, 23:11   #22
Full Member+

A few years ago, whilst on holiday in Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire, I spotted a poster in the window of a coach company advertising an excursion to Ossy Mills. That's a fair old drive, I was surprised people would travel so far to come to Oswaldtwistle.
Old 23-02-2015, 06:59   #23
Full Member+

Those advertisements could easily have been to:- Accrington, "Traditional Victorian Market Town and Handicraft Outlet' if you had been blessed with Councillors with vision.

We have a Council here in Morecambe, with a similar mindset and they are looking to create a wonderful new shopping area on what used to be Frontierland. This will benefit the larger chain stores, who could afford the high rents but do nothing for the smaller, independent retailers who give any town it's unique character.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 18:44   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
We have recently had the sad news that several major retailers are moving out of town - including Marks and Spencers, Homebase and Morrisons. I constantly here people saying that the town centre is run down and in decline. True - maybe it has seen better times but one thing the area has goy is a proud heritage and great people. I sometimes think we are too quick to put our town down. We have some great buildings and great country side and many green spaces are being made more accessible to the general public. We are also a multiracial community which, on the whole gets on well and shows a lot of mutual respect.

So lets try and look at some of the positives and try and reduce some of the negatives and maybe we can help take out great town forward.
And which "Cloud Cuckoo Land" do you inhabit?
Old 23-02-2015, 19:25   #25

Quote:
and it is Accrington - not Hyndburn
With six words and a hyphen, Margaret encapsulates what is the root of EVERYTHING that has gone wrong over the past 40 years.

A silly council with silly boundaries. A collection of townships with a mutual hatred and mistrust of each other bound together by the name of a stream nobody has ever heard of or used. Totally irrelevant as an entity to most citizens. Totally anonymous to anyone outside the area.

40 years of blurred thinking, confused corporate vision, and zero political investment in the future. Two party squabbling over the minutiae of local point scoring, and an area left out in the cold when the serious money is distributed.

And a Hyndburn town centre (Hyndburn, Margaret, not Accrington - that is what we were saddled with in 1974, and where on earth is the town centre of Oswaldtwistle, Church, Clayton or Huncoat?) that is paying the price of 40 years befuddlement.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 19:43   #26
Beacon of light

It is Accrington which has the heritage.....not Hyndburn.
Hyndburn is an invention.......and as you so rightly observe Hyndburner, that is when things started to go badly awry.
A conglomeration of small towns that didn't identify with this name but were lumped together for convenience.
If you mention Accrington, there is a fair chance that people know what area you are referring to, but mention Hyndburn and all you get is a blank expression

Hyndburner, I agree with everything in your last post.....well said!
Old 23-02-2015, 20:23   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post
distributed.

And a Hyndburn town centre (Hyndburn, Margaret, not Accrington - that is what we were saddled with in 1974, and where on earth is the town centre of Oswaldtwistle, Church, Clayton or Huncoat?) that is paying the price of 40 years befuddlement.
They're all villages. Hyndburn with Accrington(a town) as its centre of administration shouldn't be a problem- if it was properly run!

Have you seen the size of Chorley Rural District- it covers a vast area(78 square miles)and includes 23 parishes- many of them quite large successful villages. And yet it works and Chorley the Town thrives.

Hyndburn is only 28 square miles, quite compact. It has 35 councillors, Chorley manages with 47.

What puzzles me is that in 2010 The Times voted it 'the 10th best public sector to work in'! I can only assume the lack of leadership,effective forward planning and drive from the councillors meant that the council staff found it a lovely, relaxed, laid back place to work in- and still do.

Meanwhile Accrington and Hyndburn slowly disintegrated.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 23-02-2015 at 20:27.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 21:40   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It is a false name, just as Greater Manchester is, people living in Wigan for example still put Wigan Lanc's and other towns do similar, guess what? Their mail still gets delivered!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 23:49   #29
God Member

we had an indoor market and an outdoor market we didnt need the arndale which the council proved themselves when they built witebirk so that the majority of shops in the arndale could sod off to whitebirk leaving accy in their distant rear view mirrors.

accy center has been allowed to die a slow death ,the trade has been killed , the night life has been killed and theres practically no law presence in town as is clear by what is allowed to roam around it shouting abuse at each other and urinating in the bus shelters

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 09:58   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

accy center has been allowed to die a slow death ,the trade has been killed , the night life has been killed and theres practically no law presence in town as is clear by what is allowed to roam around it shouting abuse at each other and urinating in the bus shelters
Coming soon to a Hyndburn near you, a brand new bus station for them to urinate in.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..