Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2015, 22:14   #1

Where is Hyndburn going?

We have recently had the sad news that several major retailers are moving out of town - including Marks and Spencers, Homebase and Morrisons. I constantly here people saying that the town centre is run down and in decline. True - maybe it has seen better times but one thing the area has goy is a proud heritage and great people. I sometimes think we are too quick to put our town down. We have some great buildings and great country side and many green spaces are being made more accessible to the general public. We are also a multiracial community which, on the whole gets on well and shows a lot of mutual respect.

So lets try and look at some of the positives and try and reduce some of the negatives and maybe we can help take out great town forward.
bogtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2015, 10:47   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Where is Hyndburn going?

You are right about the countryside, you are right about the heritage of the town, but there is no denying that the town is in something of a rut.
It isn't talking down the town to tell the truth about it...in fact doing anything else is blatantly dishonest.
People will not come to Accrington(and it is Accrington - not Hyndburn) to take in the green spaces.(most towns have their own green spaces)
They will not come because the people are multiracial and get on well together.

The buildings you talk of, must include the Market hall...but that is nothing without the commercial enterprise which is needed to fill it with people...and that isn't happening.
We won't talk of the monstrosity that is the council offices on Broadway (improved somewhat now it is covered by the Pals banner).
We won't mention the air of dereliction along Blackburn Road...a main route into the town.
Yes we have a fine Town Hall...and if you want a bit of a hike we have the fine building that is Haworth Art Gallery.......but that is the sum total of the fine buildings and personally I wouldn't travel any distance to see any of them.

People used to come to Accrington from other local towns...they came for a bustling market, for the market hall, for the shops.
I know that shopping habits and trends have meant that this is less likely to happen.

You carry on seeing the place through your rose tinted glasses if that makes you happy...but I think that Accrington is too far gone to be resurrected with any success.

Other towns, we are told, are in a similar situation, but yet selling points, attractions are found and their appeal is maximised....this is not happening in our town.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-02-2015 at 10:50.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 11:07   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You are right about the countryside, you are right about the heritage of the town, but there is no denying that the town is in something of a rut.
It isn't talking down the town to tell the truth about it...in fact doing anything else is blatantly dishonest.
People will not come to Accrington(and it is Accrington - not Hyndburn) to take in the green spaces.(most towns have their own green spaces)
They will not come because the people are multiracial and get on well together.

People used to come to Accrington from other local towns...they came for a bustling market, for the market hall, for the shops.
I know that shopping habits and trends have meant that this is less likely to happen.

You carry on seeing the place through your rose tinted glasses if that makes you happy...but I think that Accrington is too far gone to be resurrected with any success.

Other towns, we are told, are in a similar situation, but yet selling points, attractions are found and their appeal is maximised....this is not happening in our town.
Rose Tinted Glasses? sorry i think its drugs.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:03   #4
Beacon of light

Well whatever it is....it isn't really a true perspective.
I have been lucky enough to live in the town when it was a great place to be...and maybe that is why I can see the town the way I do.Those growing up here now know no different so they will see the place far differently.
I can remember when the market was thronged with people.....when folk came from Blackburn, Burnley and Darwen purely to shop on the great market.....with Uncle Dick calling his pitches......with Ray Lyndon and everything half a crown...yes that dates me doesn't it.
I can remember when the Carnival in the town would bring the place to a standstill....I can remember the Easter Fair, the pot fair....these were all things that used to draw people into the town.
A sad, half empty Market Hall, a threadbare Market, an Arndale that has as many empty outlets as occupied ones(or nearly), a town centre with fake shops(you know...those that are empty, but made to look like they are occupied by putting a picture over the windows) doesn't make for an interesting or welcoming town.
It all contributes to a very 'down at heel' sort of feeling.....not something you would travel to...but with a shiny new bus station in the offing, might want to escape from.
Taking money away from the local economy and into some other towns coffers.
Old 22-02-2015, 14:22   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
We have recently had the sad news that several major retailers are moving out of town - including Marks and Spencers, Homebase and Morrisons. I constantly here people saying that the town centre is run down and in decline. True - maybe it has seen better times but one thing the area has goy is a proud heritage and great people. I sometimes think we are too quick to put our town down. We have some great buildings and great country side and many green spaces are being made more accessible to the general public. We are also a multiracial community which, on the whole gets on well and shows a lot of mutual respect.

So lets try and look at some of the positives and try and reduce some of the negatives and maybe we can help take out great town forward.
Down the pan.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 15:07   #6
God Member

Great buildings and great countryside don't pay my bills.

Can't say anymore in case as you aren't allowed to point out the obvious otherwise it's negative. Just stick your head back in the sand and it will all be fine
Old 22-02-2015, 15:15   #7
God Member

By the way, have you thought of sending the question to the council. Let us know what the reply is please.
Old 22-02-2015, 15:20   #8
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
By the way, have you thought of sending the question to the council. Let us know what the reply is please.
Maybe that would be a pointless exercise.....I don't think any of them have a clue......and some of them are probably wearing the same brand of rose tinted specs.
When the population of the town point out what is obvious to all of us....we get accused of talking the place down.
Old 22-02-2015, 15:33   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Maybe that would be a pointless exercise.....I don't think any of them have a clue......and some of them are probably wearing the same brand of rose tinted specs.
When the population of the town point out what is obvious to all of us....we get accused of talking the place down.
It's all political games. If you say anything they say you're being negative, if you don't say anything they tell you nobody is complaining so there's nothing wrong.
cashman likes this.
Old 22-02-2015, 15:34   #10
Beacon of light

Yes...you have nailed it there.
Old 22-02-2015, 17:45   #11
Full Member+

You are right Margaret about folk coming from neighbouring towns for the market. When I was at Peel Park I hated the Burnley holidays as when I finished school at 4pm I would run along Alice Street to Burnley Road to catch the Padiham bus home which were only every hour with the Burnley bus on the next half hour and every one for an hour or more sometimes would go past full. I remember as a 6 yr old standing crying not having the sense to walk down to Melbourne street to where they started from. Luckily a relative came past and took me down to Melbourne Street. There are very few busy markets now I am afraid and most town centres have empty shops. Sad but a fact today.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 18:00   #12
Beacon of light

Bury Market is still a bustling concern...but yes shopping habits have changed.
Towns that thrive are those which have found something they can capitalise on.
Calling Accrington a 'Floral Market Town' doesn't cut it...not when the market is as dire as it is.
Old 22-02-2015, 18:20   #13
Senior Member+

I can't understand why Chorley, a slightly smaller town which also lost all it's industry, can still be a thriving town while Accrington slowly disappears down the plug hole!

Chorley doesn't have a market hall but it does have a thriving covered market full of good stalls and busy. The Flat Irons open market on Tuesdays is always busy.
The bus station is newish but only small, maybe room for 10 buses, but it's on the edge of a small shopping arcade(also fairly new) where most of the shops are occupied.
Parking fees are cheap with plenty available(except on Flat Irons day).
There's no M&S, Booths in the centre(busy), Morrisons on the edge and Tesco a mile or two out.
Full of floral displays in summer, full of lights at Xmas.
And they didn't destroy the older town buildings and put up concrete, ugly rubbish as Accrington did!

It's a thriving little town.

If Chorley can do it, Accrington should be able to.

You've got to blame the various councils that have presided over the decline of a once busy town full of heart. No vision, no planning, no heart!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 18:28   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post

You've got to blame the various councils that have presided over the decline of a once busy town full of heart. No vision, no planning, no heart!

I could not have said it better myself.....especially the 'no vision' and the 'no heart'.....And the really painful bit is that none of them seem to care!
Yes they pay lip service to wanting to promote Accrington....but there is no tangible proof that anyone in a position to make a difference, is actually doing anything.
Old 22-02-2015, 19:09   #15
Full Member+

I think Accrington lost it's way when it tried to compete with it's larger neighbours and ended up being nothing to anyone.

Traditionally, Accrington was a Victorian Market town and thrived because of that fact. Now, you have removed the traditional market and built a town which offers no incentive to visit. I saw the decline before I left, with a half full outside market and an invasion of pound shops.

While all this was going on, Ossy Mills sprang up and attracted 'out of town shoppers'. I am not sure if Ossy Mills is still thriving but it has to be doing a better job of offering a shopping experience than the centre of Accy.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..