Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2013, 18:52   #31

Re: Where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
when did they lift the line out of Accrington to Manchester?
There is a photo on this forum taken by one of our members dated 1967 and the rails to Manchester have gone.
In the book "The Archive Photographs Series - Accrington" by John Goddard is a photo showing the Manchester platform, and the date is given as 1970. A single track is there for all to see, and part of the caption accompanying the photo reads, "The Manchester platform and the booking hall were used after closure for goods traffic." The photograph shows loaded trolleys on the platform. Do we take it that goods services continued for some time after passenger services had been discontinued?
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2013, 18:56   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
In the book "The Archive Photographs Series - Accrington" by John Goddard is a photo showing the Manchester platform, and the date is given as 1970. A single track is there for all to see, and part of the caption accompanying the photo reads, "The Manchester platform and the booking hall were used after closure for goods traffic." The photograph shows loaded trolleys on the platform. Do we take it that goods services continued for some time after passenger services had been discontinued?
Think that may be likely davidf, I know they were still shifting wheelchairs from Fred Millers on platform1 69/70. Cos i shifted one meself to the King Wah went drunk.
Old 16-09-2013, 19:45   #33

Well done.Just to tie the ribbons----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (94.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (626.2 KB, 20 views)
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:47   #34

What intrigues me is the tightness of the curve, it looks much too tight to be either Burnley or Accrington compared to how the viaducts and final approaches to both stations are depicted on my old maps.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 19:52   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have just spent an hour trawling through the remainder of my railway books and come across the original article and photograph.
The photograph depicts a special train (one of three) on the 18 March 1967 entering Top Bank station Burnley.
The train hauled by Class 5 No. 44809 was special No. 1T80 and had left Liverpool at 11.10 AM. carnying football fans to watch the Match at Burnley.

It appears that the original poster on the Transport Worldwide Forum had got his facts wrong about the date and football team.
My book called it Bank Top station but it was the name for Burnley Central.

Anyway, job sorted now, I have put the same information on the Transport Worldwide forum which is where I saw the photo in the first place.
One poster had even said it was Lostock Hall.
Old 17-09-2013, 07:13   #36

In the late 60's a group of us as early teenagers used to go down Accy station on a Friday night to help load the parcels service and generally muck about down there. The single track didn't go beyond the end of Platform 1. The parcels train came in from Burnley and used to reverse out before heading on to Blackburn. Can't remember when they knocked the old booking hall down and built the shed on the other side but I think that brought the parcels service to an end.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..