Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 20:50   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: where would you put your pumkin?

If it had been me I'd have phoned up on the day and insisted they come back for it. I'm a right little trouble maker when it comes to rubbish.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2006, 20:54   #17
God Member

Think i would have done willow but hubby persuaded me to give it till next collection ..hee hee then its my turn lol
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 23:19   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

Don't you have a compost bin? The pumpkins will make excellent compost.

Our local green bin policy is that "kitchen waste", i.e. veg. peelings etc. don't go in. The green bin is for hedge trimmings, grass cuttings, weeds; the rest goes in the compost. My compost bin is my old dustbin, with a few holes cut in it. Left to rot down with the addition of the "secret ingredient" it makes lovely compost within 12 months. The secret ingredient, if you really want to know, is human urine (anybody's will do). I used my own compost when I laid a new lawn last year and it took off like a rocket.

Move the pumpkins to a compost bin, or a heap if you don't have a bin, and keep the Council and your garden happy.
Old 02-11-2006, 23:21   #19
Give, give, give member

I think HBC would probably think it shouldn't be put in the green bin as well, according to this information from their site.

Recycling in Hyndburn - Your questions answered

You could always stick a few blooms in it and call it floral art before you bin it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 23:24   #20
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Use the blue sack for plastic bottles only, i.e. milk, shampoo, pop, washing-up plastic bottles etc and metal cans/tins and foil. Do not put any domestic refuse, nappies, or plastic toys into the sack as these can not be recycled. Take care when presenting your sack for collection to prevent problems of spillage. Wherever possible, wedge the sack between other containers.

Use the blue box for glass jars and bottles only. Rinse debris from cans and glass containers before putting them in the box. Wash out your box occasionally as this will help keep it clean
There's a bit of ambiguity there about the cans.

Old 02-11-2006, 23:27   #21
Give, give, give member

HBC's site does tell you what happens to all the recycled rubbish, but not what happens to the stuff in the green bins.

What do they make with it?

Free Trade tea?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 23:29   #22
Resident Waffler

All the garden waste we don't offically have goes in a skip at the tip. Maybe we can ask them next time?

Old 02-11-2006, 23:36   #23
God Member

I personally think it would all go to compost or maybe landfill as it will all rot down but same here we havent actually been told what happens to green waste .
our 4 compost bins are full to brim and we really dont need any more of them
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..