Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2013, 14:44   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: which bank was opposit the commercial bottom peel st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Definately Lloyds,me mum had a shop in Burnley Road and she used to take her cash down there on a Friday afternoon,Then when I left school in 64 I was apprentice Plumber and we had to go and fix a burst i the cellar whilst it was a empty buiding before Ogdens took it.
So the bank presumably was there in 1962 but not 1964. Does anyone remember where Ogden's was before it moved into these premises?
Old 31-01-2013, 14:53   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
So the bank presumably was there in 1962 but not 1964. Does anyone remember where Ogden's was before it moved into these premises?
Was the original Ogdens not further up little Blackburn Road on the left just before you get to Bank Street? It's still a jewelers now?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 15:02   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Was the original Ogdens not further up little Blackburn Road on the left just before you get to Bank Street? It's still a jewelers now?
The only other jewellers in Little Blackburn Road is Stanley's right at the top on the LHS leaving the town centre. Don't know how long it's been there.
Old 31-01-2013, 15:03   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You must have been distracted by the bevy of beauties waiting for the buses up to Chrissies and t'High School in the shelter across the road. *chuckle*
The main distraction yon was Eileen,the landlady of the "Welcome Inn" she used to come down every morning fer a paper n say good morning lads, Then at dinner time when we got changed,serve us pints of bitter.
Old 31-01-2013, 16:11   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The main distraction yon was Eileen,the landlady of the "Welcome Inn" she used to come down every morning fer a paper n say good morning lads, Then at dinner time when we got changed,serve us pints of bitter.
Long before Dexy's had their big hit then Mr C..
oops mus' be careful...I'll wander off thread I have another poser for you..
Old 31-01-2013, 21:20   #51

I thought you might like this, a friend has merged the photos

Then and Now, Lloyds Bank, Accrington A4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Eric and odders like this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:29   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
I thought you might like this, a friend has merged the photos

Then and Now, Lloyds Bank, Accrington A4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sugar snorting marvellous wadey..your friend is a star..thanks ..
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54   #53

According to the old telephone directories Frank Ogdens Jewellers were at 20 Blackburn Road until 1967 and then moved to 32 Blackburn Road.
DtheP47 likes this.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
According to the old telephone directories Frank Ogdens Jewellers were at 20 Blackburn Road until 1967 and then moved to 32 Blackburn Road.
Thanks anzac..seem to remember the Ogden family living up Manchester Road way at that time too.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49   #55
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The only other jewellers in Little Blackburn Road is Stanley's right at the top on the LHS leaving the town centre. Don't know how long it's been there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Thanks for that Anzac - seems it wasn't till 1967 that they moved into the old bank. I had been considering asking Bob Dobson to see if they were listed in any of his old trade directories but don't need to now...

Owe you an apology, DtheP, hadn't realised till just looked on Streetview that there is another jeweller in that bit of road - and at the old Frank Ogden address. Comes of me no longer living in Accy. Wonder if it has been a jeweller ever since Ogden's left?
Old 01-02-2013, 13:08   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

There was also a cafe were Ogdens is now, remember going in odd times.
Old 01-02-2013, 13:45   #57
God Member

I visited a beauty salon on the first floor a few times in 1979 - had turkish baths and deep facial skin cleaning (needed to rid my body of plaster dust during a complete house refurb). I recall it was run by Ogden's daughter who was married to an Italian American.

I recall a 'raw food' cafe up the staircase next to the newsagents. It was run by a New Zealand lady and had an extensive salad bar. That didn't last long.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:09   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I visited a beauty salon on the first floor a few times in 1979 - had turkish baths and deep facial skin cleaning (needed to rid my body of plaster dust during a complete house refurb). I recall it was run by Ogden's daughter who was married to an Italian American.
Jennifer Ogden as was before she married..not sure if she was a Paddock Houser or Girls High School?
Old 01-02-2013, 14:12   #59
Senior Member+

I wonder if the Italian American is the present owner of Ogdens along with Ogdens daughter.
I was talking with him late last year when I had some rings altered, I though he was Canadian though.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:57   #60

Quote:
Sugar snorting marvellous wadey..your friend is a star..thanks ..
Thanks, I'll tell him
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..