Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 19:52   #61

Re: which bank was opposit the commercial bottom peel st

Lloyds Bank moved from the corner of Peel Street and Blackburn Road to newly built premises on Whalley Road in the 1960's, set back between the current Music Shop and the empty shop next to the Home Care shop. When Lloyds and TSB merged, two branches in Accrington so close together was obviously too much cost for the new Lloyds Banking Group to stand, and so closed the Whalley Road branch and merged it with the Peel Street branch. It's currently a Lancashire County Council youth centre and offices, which are up for sale. Hope that helps :-)
bridgey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51   #62

There was a bank there,the jewellers was next door on Little Blackburn Road,but as with others I can.t remember which one
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 13:30   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgey2000 View Post
Lloyds Bank moved from the corner of Peel Street and Blackburn Road to newly built premises on Whalley Road in the 1960's, set back between the current Music Shop and the empty shop next to the Home Care shop. When Lloyds and TSB merged, two branches in Accrington so close together was obviously too much cost for the new Lloyds Banking Group to stand, and so closed the Whalley Road branch and merged it with the Peel Street branch. It's currently a Lancashire County Council youth centre and offices, which are up for sale. Hope that helps :-)

Bridgey has hit the nail on the head - Lloyd's Bank.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 13:37   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Bridgey has hit the nail on the head - Lloyd's Bank.
My boss says it was the Midland.
Old 10-08-2014, 16:39   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My boss says it was the Midland.

I've checked with Barrett's directory, 1952
Old 10-08-2014, 21:15   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I've checked with Barrett's directory, 1952
Good can yeh post it on here Bob? twill be a pleasure to prove her wrong.
Old 11-08-2014, 00:44   #67
God Member

i thought the midland was where HSBC now is

the one next to teh music shop on whalley road was lloyds as far as i can recall and the YTS recruitment then army recruitment was above it in the offices upstairs if i recall correctly

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Good can yeh post it on here Bob? twill be a pleasure to prove her wrong.

Sorry - my technical skills are not up to this. . Bridgey has got it right.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:29   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i thought the midland was where HSBC now is

the one next to teh music shop on whalley road was lloyds as far as i can recall and the YTS recruitment then army recruitment was above it in the offices upstairs if i recall correctly
The midland was yon were HSBC is in the late 60s, thats certain cos its when i joined em, HSBC took em oer cant remember when.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:04   #70

Definately Lloyds,used to go there wiv me mum in the late 50's ,they then built a new one on the site of the kings hall(bug hut)
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:28   #71

Quote:
The midland was yon were HSBC is in the late 60s, thats certain cos its when i joined em, HSBC took em oer cant remember when.
Looking at Google street view today. Never knew it as the HSBC bank, but you are spot on Cashy, it was the Midland Bank. My mortgage was through the Abbey National Building Society and i used to pay it at the Midland. Next door was a very exclusive mens shop called Smith and Rawson, do you remember?. If you wanted to buy anything there, you had to go in the bank first and take out a loan. From memory, and i stand to be corrected, next door, or next door but one to Smith and Rawson, was the cheap as chips utility furniture shop Cavendish. Maybe those two shops are long gone.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:44   #72

Stanley's used to be further along Blackburn Road,the other side of the railway bridge,they were still there in 1960,I think Geoff;took over the shop when his dad retired.
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:08   #73
Senior Member+

Have checked with the directory - Aussie Irene is spot on

In 1952, Walter Stanley, watch repairer, was at 318 Blackburn Rd, near top of Monk St, At some later time, Geoff, now early 70s, opened shop at top of Little Blackburn Rd
Old 12-08-2014, 13:00   #74

Quote:
Have checked with the directory - Aussie Irene is spot on

In 1952, Walter Stanley, watch repairer, was at 318 Blackburn Rd, near top of Monk St, At some later time, Geoff, now early 70s, opened shop at top of Little Blackburn Rd
Yes Bob, my hubby was living in Park Rd. when Stanley had his watch repairing shop on Blackburn Rd. It was directly facing the main doors of the Sacred Heart Church. It was a house and his shop window was just a normal house sash and frame window, which meant he could not have many clocks on display. Next door was a shop that sold religious items such as statues and pictures etc. For many years the shop was owned by the Makin family who were parishioners at the church. Looking on Google street view today we noticed the shop had been converted to a house.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:48   #75
Senior Member+

Thanks for that , Irene. I now recall going into that 'shop' with my parents. Geoff Stanley married Jean Burton from Russia St, who took papers with me for Banks' at top of that street. I lived in Persia St. Jean and I were born on the same day.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..