Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2013, 19:55   #46
God Member

Re: Who makes the best pies??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There's still one there on Pickup St Eric. Whether its the same one, I'm not sure.
Would that be the "Pickup Butt"? Looks like the same location. I see the Post Office is still in the same place. But I guess they don't sell pies there, eh?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2013, 21:19   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Would that be the "Pickup Butt"? Looks like the same location. I see the Post Office is still in the same place. But I guess they don't sell pies there, eh?
That's it Eric, Is that what it's called now. The Co-op's across the road. They sell pies. There's a chippy somewhere down there as well. Spoilt for choice.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:29   #48
God Member

Quote:
That's it Eric, Is that what it's called now. The Co-op's across the road. They sell pies. There's a chippy somewhere down there as well. Spoilt for choice.
I remember a chippy just around the corner, in the square. They had great pies too ... esp. the cheese and onion which was a Friday special for the dogans
Old 19-02-2013, 22:41   #49
I am Banned

Cissy Greens on Deardengate Haslingden....
Can be found in some shops in Accy. Little sandwich shop on corner of Eastgate and Stanley Street has them in.

BBC - Lancashire - Food and Drink: The butcher, baker and meat pie maker, Cissy Green's Bakery, Haslingden
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:18   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There's still one there on Pickup St Eric. Whether its the same one, I'm not sure.
There used to be a good bakers who did great pies on the corner of Pickup St Accrington Eric near where Rist Wires used to be, can't remember the name
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 09:24   #51

The bakery on Pickup Street in Clayton was run by sisters called Hope. I'd be surprised if their still alive and I think they were spinsters so probably wouldn't have family to pass the business on to. The chip shop on Barnes Square was run by the Orr's when I was around. Their son Stephen was in my class at All Saints.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:32   #52
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
The bakery on Pickup Street in Clayton was run by sisters called Hope. I'd be surprised if their still alive and I think they were spinsters so probably wouldn't have family to pass the business on to. The chip shop on Barnes Square was run by the Orr's when I was around. Their son Stephen was in my class at All Saints.
She was called Tilda and made oval shaped full of gelatine delicious meat pies, good hot or cold.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 13:43   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
That's gotta be the one ... don't remember the names though.
Old 20-02-2013, 15:39   #54
I am Banned

Quote:
Not sure it's called that now? It's a fancy deli type sandwich shop. Last proper baker Ted (Hillman I think) retired out of there a few years ago.
Post Office undergoing a major refurb' not before time. Scaffolding up and upstairs being ripped out last week when I passed.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 19:50   #55

My cheese and onion pie is popular, I got the recipe about 30 years ago from the cook when I worked in a home for elderly people - but at the risk of being controversial I think Birds Eye chicken pies taste really good even though they might be full of rubbish! And I do like Cissie Greens pies too.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 20:34   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Not sure it's called that now? It's a fancy deli type sandwich shop. Last proper baker Ted (Hillman I think) retired out of there a few years ago.
Post Office undergoing a major refurb' not before time. Scaffolding up and upstairs being ripped out last week when I passed.
Proper bakers going, proper butchers too, no doubt, proper fishmongers, proper chippies, proper tailors ... I don't like it. It's becoming a Walmart world .... Maybe I'm just an out of date old fart who wore clogs. But those clogs were made to measure for me, by a man skilled in his craft. And my shoes were re-soled and heeled by a proper cobbler.

When I first arrived in Canada, I could pull into a full-service gast station. A guy would come out, fill my tank (at 45 cents a gallon), check my oil and show me the stick, clean my windshield, and ask if my tire pressure needed checking. Now I do all this myself for $1.20 a litre And when my tech toys screw up ... tech support ... a call centre in India (Fortunately I speak French; so, I choose the French language option and get a call centre in Canada) The world is starting to suck big time. I'm glad I'm on my way out. Just wish I could get a couple of real pies to take with me.
susie123 and westendlass like this.
Old 23-02-2013, 20:35   #57
God Member

And I forgot proper pubs ... how did that one slip by me
Old 24-02-2013, 09:16   #58

Hollands there the best.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:44   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And I forgot proper pubs ... how did that one slip by me
Probably because there are none left Eric
Eric and susie123 like this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:39   #60
I am Banned

Groovster likes Greenalgh's pies but they are quite expensive
groovster is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..