Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2013, 17:35   #16
Full Member+

Re: Why in Lancashire?

My hubby a left handed crown green bowler and gets called a keypodder.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2013, 17:49   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Keypodder, Kaypodder, with the evolution of language & more so in dialect, peculiarities, (a chance to indulge my fanciful imagination here ) could the words stem from such phrases as "Keep hold of" or "Cape holder"?

Keep hold of - keep 'old of yer purse - keyp od er! As Left handers in Latin were deemed sinister, bad, evil. equating to cut throat or villain.

Kaypodder - Cape holder - Kayp 'older! Could equally stem from days of yore when Knights or latter-day landed gentry would have squires/ seconds for tourneys or duels, these would doubtless stand to the left as most combatants would be right handed.

Or maybe none of the above, but just wild speculation & rather imaginative waffle.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 16-08-2013, 22:49   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Keypodder, Kaypodder, with the evolution of language & more so in dialect, peculiarities, (a chance to indulge my fanciful imagination here ) could the words stem from such phrases as "Keep hold of" or "Cape holder"?

Keep hold of - keep 'old of yer purse - keyp od er! As Left handers in Latin were deemed sinister, bad, evil. equating to cut throat or villain.

Kaypodder - Cape holder - Kayp 'older! Could equally stem from days of yore when Knights or latter-day landed gentry would have squires/ seconds for tourneys or duels, these would doubtless stand to the left as most combatants would be right handed.

Or maybe none of the above, but just wild speculation & rather imaginative waffle.
Whatever you are drinking nowadays it isn't good for you
Old 17-08-2013, 12:37   #19
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Whatever you are drinking nowadays it isn't good for you
Neither are the quantities!
Old 23-08-2013, 07:43   #20

I never knew how to spell keypodder but it's what I still call left handers. Not that anybody round here knows what I'm talking about.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 17:21   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
I never knew how to spell keypodder but it's what I still call left handers. Not that anybody round here knows what I'm talking about.
Ask Jethroe, bet he knows
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:55   #22

Could the word be split to make two, like in 'keep odder' as in 'consistently being odd'. Just a thought!
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:06   #23

it originates from the past past meaning'' Great lovers'' hehehehe
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 16:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeylass View Post
Why in Lancashire are left-handed people called "Kaypodder's"? (spelling?).
It's an aberration of the words 'keep hold' ie key pod o' that.
pompeylass likes this.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:56   #25
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

My ex husband is a left hander, wish I'd known of the sinister, bad , evil bit when I met him. Nobender.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..