Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2007, 19:30   #16

Re: Why no more houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
. Surely, given the demand for housing both old houses should be renovated and new houses built.
those so called new homes are shoddily built and even worse the styles are awful. some are even victorian stlye with pathetic looking bay windows to make them seem homely. those are the sort of new builds that im against. they are truly awful. new homes should have modern styles and swanky materials spent on them.i really like modern buildings if they look modern and stylish. of course they wont make any sassy new builds in accy. its going to be cheap and nasty newbuilds like on college court which was erected on the former accy college site. honestly its a shame that the likes of hickybottom are allowing this bulldozer worthy trash to be put up in the name of social housing
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2007, 22:32   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I do agree with you that older houses are more attractive and have more character. My point is that regardless of what they do with the old houses (I personally think they should renovate) is that they have put a stop on planning permissions for new houses. Surely, given the demand for housing both old houses should be renovated and new houses built.

Are there any links to say what houses they aren't building, and why? Is it brown as well as green field sites that have the restrictions?

Although there is still a need, especially for social housing in the area, there has been loads of new houses built in Ossy in the last two years. Hundreds of homes have been built behind Roegreave Road on the site of the old mill, for instance, but there have been no new schools built to accommodate the new families. It's pointless building new homes if there isn't also the infrastuctue and facilities the new homes will need.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 22:37   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
new homes should have modern styles and swanky materials spent on them.i really like modern buildings if they look modern and stylish. of course they wont make any sassy new builds in accy.
What is 'modern and swanky' soon dates, and looks tired and out of fashion.

Post war town planners thought everyone from the slums would love living in 'modern and swanky' tower blocks. They didn't.

Most people are traditionalists, and don't forget what is modern and fashionable soon becomes unfashionable by it's very nature.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 22:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What is 'modern and swanky' soon dates, and looks tired and out of fashion.

Post war town planners thought everyone from the slums would love living in 'modern and swanky' tower blocks. They didn't.

Most people are traditionalists, and don't forget what is modern and fashionable soon becomes unfashionable by it's very nature.
i dont think those tower blocks were ever considered to be swanky ,modern, free from fussy details yes but not swanky and expensive. it was also about maximising the potential of space
there are many examples of 1960s houses(not tower blocks) which are fantastic and visually stunning. they are stlye statements and are very of their time but dont look dated. they still look really smart.if something is nice its always looked very nice. im sure those tower blocks always looked pretty awful but maybe not as grotty. i love traditional buildings especially because of the materials used in their construction but hate cheap copycat 'victorian' style homes.
Old 25-05-2007, 23:03   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i have lived in terraced, semis, a bungalow, and even a maisonette, over the years, whilst the others were nice, the best and most economical is terraced,built from a far sounder structure than anything modern, and for the council guy to say what he said about holland street property interiors all i can say he is either (A) badly misinformed, or (B) a liar. simple as that.!
Old 25-05-2007, 23:08   #21

liar and a greedy one id say . i sensed it in his voice.
i must admit ive had the misfortune to live in a typical newbuild. it sounds cliched butits true what they say they just have no character and this applies internally too. in my old terrace you could 'sense' the character. maybe it was the lime plaster and natural old bricks breathing. it just feels so much nicer
Old 25-05-2007, 23:16   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i sorta guessed that spinner, but as i didn,t speak to him, i put (A) in.
Old 25-05-2007, 23:43   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
liar and a greedy one id say . i sensed it in his voice.
i must admit ive had the misfortune to live in a typical newbuild. it sounds cliched butits true what they say they just have no character and this applies internally too. in my old terrace you could 'sense' the character. maybe it was the lime plaster and natural old bricks breathing. it just feels so much nicer
Plaster? -I aint got none!! - My flat was built circa 1970 and the walls are 'dry lined' - ie - no plaster. It is a nightmare trying to get wallpaper off raw plasterboard.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 07:22   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Plaster? -I aint got none!! - My flat was built circa 1970 and the walls are 'dry lined' - ie - no plaster. It is a nightmare trying to get wallpaper off raw plasterboard.
The last lot I had with that trouble got several layers of cheap paint then the wall paper as it was easier toremove the paper later on.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 09:10   #25
Resident Waffler

Wallpapered onto raw plasterboard? I didn't think they did that even in new property!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 11:08   #26
Resting in Peace

Just wondered if the 3,000 waiting for houses was the council list Gayle as seems in lots of areas .. perhaps ours ? there are plenty of private houses to let and a council will encourage people to go for these rather than wait for a council house ... so this does reduce the figure tremendously.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 12:09   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:

So, the question is - why was I told that there is a halt on allowing planning permissions for new houses in the area? Or is that no longer the case?
Notice there is a planning application been registered this week for 32 houses and 6 bungalows on the Great Harwood Football site and ex Monroes night club .. so will see if gets turned down.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 12:52   #28
God Member

I know on our list in Blackburn with Darwen there are over 11,000 but not all actively waiting to move... we advertise the properties and people ring up and express an interest into the one they would like to move to ...it is not unusual to get upto 200 people putting their name down for one house... and we are building new houses too!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 13:02   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered if the 3,000 waiting for houses was the council list Gayle as seems in lots of areas .. perhaps ours ? there are plenty of private houses to let and a council will encourage people to go for these rather than wait for a council house ... so this does reduce the figure tremendously.
It would be interesting to see how they measure waiting lists ( and I don't mean the obvious method of counting them )

I have my name down but my cirucmstances have changed so I won't be needing one now. If I don't go and tell them to remove me from the list there seems to be no method of checking if applications are still required. Therefore the list basically grows and grows but the real requirement is probably much less.

One of the housing associations has a policy of 3 monthly renewal for their waiting list. If you don't tell them every 3 months you still want a house then your'e off the list and have to apply again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..