Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2014, 00:37   #16

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Why we give?

I only use the RSPCA as an example of a charity gone beyond its original remit..i.e. to prevent cruelty to animals (rsPCA)..yet now stick their oar in many political arguments yet refuse to take in strays and redirect you to the local dogwarden, or as you say a rescue centre. Kinda like HBC debating an area of Asia but refusing to engage on the provision of benches outside the town hall. Delusions of grandeur and totally lost their focus.

As for charity shops...back in the day, they were called second hand shops, usually on the back streets of the town centre, and is yet another example of how the rise of charities has destroyed jobs in the private sector, you would be hard pressed to find a second hand shop in this day and age that could compete with charities that have doorstep collections, volunteer staff, tax and rate break high street shops and TV advertising.
Sunflower49 likes this.
Old 13-03-2014, 01:30   #17

Unfortunately Margaret you are not alone in experiencing poverty in the past. I too grew up in poverty but luckily enough it wasn't until I grew older and wiser that I recognised what poverty was. Yet in growing older I believe I was a better person for it.
Accyexplorer likes this.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 10:09   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I only use the RSPCA as an example of a charity gone beyond its original remit..i.e. to prevent cruelty to animals (rsPCA)..yet now stick their oar in many political arguments yet refuse to take in strays and redirect you to the local dogwarden, or as you say a rescue centre. Kinda like HBC debating an area of Asia but refusing to engage on the provision of benches outside the town hall. Delusions of grandeur and totally lost their focus.

As for charity shops...back in the day, they were called second hand shops, usually on the back streets of the town centre, and is yet another example of how the rise of charities has destroyed jobs in the private sector, you would be hard pressed to find a second hand shop in this day and age that could compete with charities that have doorstep collections, volunteer staff, tax and rate break high street shops and TV advertising.
The R.S.P.C.A. spend too much money on fancy uniforms and new vehicles than on the welfare of the animals
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 10:28   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Unfortunately Margaret you are not alone in experiencing poverty in the past. I too grew up in poverty but luckily enough it wasn't until I grew older and wiser that I recognised what poverty was. Yet in growing older I believe I was a better person for it.
I think you are right. Although I think it might have been easier to be poor back then......there wasn't the same peer pressure. We were all in the same boat.
It certainly taught me a lot of lessons which have helped mi in my life.
I can make do and mend, I can make a decent meal out of leftovers.
I am careful with money.....these are things that you don't learn in school.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 12:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Yes..They're not on their own.
I won't get started on TV advertisements. Adverts that beg for my money-as far as I am concerned, the causes already have my money.

It's on a differing note but one thing that annoys me is how expensive charity shops now are, compared to years past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think you are right. Although I think it might have been easier to be poor back then......there wasn't the same peer pressure. We were all in the same boat.
It certainly taught me a lot of lessons which have helped mi in my life.
I can make do and mend, I can make a decent meal out of leftovers.
I am careful with money.....these are things that you don't learn in school.
Handy skills I agree. I'm amazed by the amount of peers I have that possess none of them, can't sew on a button or cook properly

Last edited by Sunflower49; 13-03-2014 at 12:12.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 12:13   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Why we give?

Got to admit, I'm part of the can cook can't be arsed' brigade, unless I'm fortunate enough to get a bit of road kill.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 12:17   #22
Beacon of light

Sunflower, that is a big problem...but it maybe because their mother/grandmother never showed them how to do these things.
We cannot blame them for not knowing how to do these things...except I was taught that once you find a gap in your knowledge/skills, it is your responsibility to make sure you do something about it.
I still try to follow that maxim....and today with the internet and Youtube as a teacher, there is little excuse to stay clueless.
dotti34 and Sunflower49 like this.
Old 13-03-2014, 12:20   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Got to admit, I'm part of the can cook can't be arsed' brigade, unless I'm fortunate enough to get a bit of road kill.
I can undertsand that too Less. If I lived alone I would starve.
I cook for others(himself, the tinlids,Ma...Nicola, Jim next door) much more that I would ever do for myself.

I think that fit single people should band together and form some sort of meal club.
AccyMad and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 13-03-2014, 12:27   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Why we give?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

I think that fit single people should band together and form some sort of meal club.

I wholeheartedly agree, sometimes when you get a 16stone ex rugby player that died in a traffic accident, you waste more than you eat!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 12:35   #25
Senior Member+

The RSPCA were established in 1824 as the SPCA - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Royal patronage follwed in 1837 and Queen Victoria gave permission to add the 'royal R' in 1840, making them the RSPCA as their more commonly known today.
The Queen is patron of more than 620 charities and organisations.
As much as I dislike the royals,she's done quite a bit for charity in this country so I say good on her.
But lets not forget she is kept by the taxpayer and there are folk that do much more valuable work for charity than the royals, and they don't get reports/articles in the media trumpeting about their work.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 13:03   #26
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, sometimes when you get a 16stone ex rugby player that died in a traffic accident, you waste more than you eat!
I didn't realise that there were that many of them killed along the main drag in Accy...still you live and lear...well, most of us do!
Old 13-03-2014, 13:17   #27
Senior Member+

Our peg went missing over a week ago while walking the dog, I'm not bothered about the Mrs but there's a reward for the safe return of the dog.
I rang greenbank they said I should "expect the worse"
So this morning I've been down age concern and got all her stuff back

password--Accyweb
Old 13-03-2014, 20:22   #28

Yes, Margaret, I think many of us were in the same boat as far as the small amount of money there was in 'those' days. I have no idea how my mother managed in the way she did, always making sure we had sufficient food - have a feeling that she must have very quietly gone without a lot of things herself to make this happen. Never complained. There was never any spare cash to waste but we accepted that as being the way it was.

Such a different concept of money these days - some Smart Alec has come up with a suggestion that kids should be paid 25 cents a day (from the Government, therefore from the taxpayer) as a payment/reward if they eat more vegetables and fruit at school. One young student (looked about 10) was asked if he would do this and his reply was 'for 25 cents, I don't think so!'
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 20:45   #29
Senior Member+

"Money is numbers and numbers never end. If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end" Robert Marley.

password--Accyweb
Old 13-03-2014, 20:57   #30
Beacon of light

No, money will not make you happy....it just buys you a better class of misery.
Happiness is a very personal thing. Obviously you need to have some money, there is no happiness if you cannot pay your way.
Despite having very little money when I was growing up, I believe I had a very rich childhood. My parents gave us their time.....we played silly board games.....we listened to radio programs in the firelight, drinking cocoa and eating toast cooked on the coals.
We went fishing for sticklebacks with improvised fishing nets, we picked blackberries, we picked flowers....we slept out in home made tents.
dotti34, Turtle and Sunflower49 like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..