Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2015, 10:01   #16
God Member

Re: Window Cleaner

without going too technical Gremlin, the dust from the garden hadn't settled it was the minerals in the water. The utility companies add stuff to the water, according to area, to make it what they consider drinkable etc. It is measured in parts per million (ppm) and tap water in the Accy area is around about 40-50 ppm. Leeds, where I do the majority of my work, is between 100-400.

The guys who use pure water to clean windows will treat the water via two different methods to bring it down to zero ppm. This means that the water is pure and contains no elements of iron, calcium etc. It is these additives that are left behind when the water evaporates.

A squeegee guy has to leave the window dry because he uses dirty water to clean the window. The slightest gap from the squeegee sliding around will leave dirty water or soap behind which when dried will leave a streak. The pole guys don't need to leave the window dry because, after rinsing, the window will only have pure water on it. Rain water makes no difference to this because rain water is typically almost pure.
Old 25-04-2015, 10:13   #17
Senior Member+

I used to deliver liquid caustic soda, Sulphuric acid or Sodium Hypochlorite to the water treatment plants, 20 ton at a time in a tanker.
I delivered all over the North and Scotland and some of the water plants were in beautiful locations.
The water going into the plant from the ones in the Lake district was absolutely crystal clear and I often wondered why they needed to mess about with it.
We even delivered to the one by the Easterly by pass at Accrington so even our locals weren't spared the stuff.
Old 25-04-2015, 10:19   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The water going into the plant from the ones in the Lake district was absolutely crystal clear and I often wondered why they needed to mess about with it.
government conspiracy to keep regional identification? eg you can tell a Brunleyite from a mile away
Old 25-04-2015, 12:43   #19
Full Member+

Re my 'window wetter' Maccawozzagod you have hit the nail on the head saying 'if its done right.' I have two front bay windows, two back bedroom windows, back lounge window ,bathroom window and window half way upstairs done and believe me if it takes him 5 mins he is having a go slow day !!!!!
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 18:24   #20
God Member

Doing the glass only can be rapid without any detriment to the clean, but if he is doing the frames as well (including the top bits) then I would imagine that one man should be about 15 minutes but hard to say without seeing the job. As a rule 50p to a £1 per minute is about right to do the job right for both parties.

Tags
window cleaner

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..