Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2007, 22:27   #1

wood burning / coal fires / smokefree zone?

This may seem like a silly question but im going to ask it anyway - an initial browse round LCC and HBC's website failed to furnish me with the answer so I wondered if anyone knew before i started trawling in depth.

Im looking to get a multi-fuel stove for my living room (probably to burn wood) A friend of mine who lives in Cumbria has a huge one and ive been really impressed by them. However, someone said I may not be able to use one as Hyndburn is a "smokefree zone". Does anyone know if this is the case? I have seen plenty of cottages belching out smoke so I cant imagine it's true but before I rip my fireplace out.....

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2007, 15:43   #2
God Member

Re: wood burning / coal fires / smokefree zone?

You're house is private property, of course you can have a real fireplace if you wish. Smoke free zones only refer to public areas as far as i'm aware.

Haven't heard of anyone sayig you can't have smoke coming out your house up into the air anyway, and there are plenty of houses that still use proper fireplaces.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 16:12   #3
God Member

When I lived in Belthorn we were outside the smokefree zone, so we burnt logs in the original fireplaces at times.
That may well explain why you have seen 'cottages belching out smoke'.
It may well depend on where you live in the borough
The Enviromental Health people at the council offices will be able to advise you. They have always responded to my emails quickly.

PS smokefree zones were 1st introduced in this area in 1961 - I lived on Dill Hall then and the council gave grants for conversion of coal burning grates to use of (smoke free) coke and inspected the conversion to ensure that the law was being complied with

PPS - there is 'white smoke' (wood) and 'black smoke' (coal )- different rules MAY apply

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-12-2007 at 16:18.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:50   #4

Many thanks for the replies. I have now contacted HBC and they advise that we are in fact in a smoke controll zone so unless the appliance being used is an exempt appliance (certain boilers and burners) then smokeless fuels have to be used. None of the stoves I had in mind are on the exempt appliance list so looks like I am going to have to burn smokeless fuels.

So........next question (you can tell im new at this ) there are a load or people on the web and in the yellow pages that sell smokeless fuels - does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
Old 02-01-2008, 10:51   #5

Many thanks for the replies. I have now contacted HBC and they advise that we are in fact in a smoke controll zone so unless the appliance being used is an exempt appliance (certain boilers and burners) then smokeless fuels have to be used. None of the stoves I had in mind are on the exempt appliance list so looks like I am going to have to burn smokeless fuels.

So........next question (you can tell im new at this ) there are a load or people on the web and in the yellow pages that sell smokeless fuels - does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52   #6

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00   #7

hmmm, not sure why its posted 3 times but there you go.

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:12   #8
God Member

There are quite a few listed under 'coal and solid fuel merchants' in local Yellow pages

Old 02-01-2008, 11:15   #9
God Member

From my past experience with coke and anthracite - it is very difficult to get a fire started - a gas poker was the easiest way, so you may need to consider having a gas pipe connection near your appliance.

PS it is a lot of hassle

Last edited by MargaretR; 02-01-2008 at 11:18.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:28   #10
God Member

lets be honest, on a cold dark winters night ( when you are most likely to want a nice cosy fire) how many council nosey parkers will be out lookig at your chimney.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
lets be honest, on a cold dark winters night ( when you are most likely to want a nice cosy fire) how many council nosey parkers will be out lookig at your chimney.
You never know (p.s. Entwisi - I joined the Ubuntu revolution about 6 months ago - it rocks )

Margaret - ive seen the list in yellow pages, its huge! think I may have to do some good old fashioned ringing round . I agree they can be a hassle, well, fires can anyway. The stoves are a lot easier and once they're warm (which doesnt take long) they will burn anything. I was just wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations before I risk a few

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:37   #12
God Member

Quite true Entwisi- but some neighbours may not like it and report you, which means the enviro health people will have to act on it.

Ps what sort of 'anything' can you legally burn?

Last edited by MargaretR; 02-01-2008 at 11:40.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quite true Entwisi- but some neighbours may not like it and report you, which means the enviro health people will have to act on it.

Ps what sort of 'anything' can you legally burn?
You can legally burn anything that is smokeless. Ive found smokeless peat, coal, coke and a whole raft of mixtures. A company in Waterfoot had 14 different types of smokeless fuel - mainly coal compounds that come in moulded bricks. The only problem is they are expensive.

If your 'appliance' is an exempted appliance (I have a link to the list which is mainly boilers and wood burners) then you can burn whatever you like whether its smokeless or not.

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:49   #14
God Member

My! - things have improved since the 60s

Old 04-01-2008, 20:01   #15

dont know if this is any help to you but theres a place called milligans on plumb st burnley who do a great range of stoves and sell everything else you need,also sell smokeless fuel and will deliver,i had a stove in my old house better than any central heating system
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..