Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Would you do it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
In some respects, one could argue that the bravest decision would be to say no.
You could! But an enduring fact of human nature is that whatever the situation, there will always be someone who won't consider the outcome & risk all in an attempt at saving another life regardless.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:37   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well done Dave, must agree wi yeh though yeh are stupid, anyone that seeks me out when yer oer here proves me point.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You could! But an enduring fact of human nature is that whatever the situation, there will always be someone who won't consider the outcome & risk all in an attempt at saving another life regardless.
Very true Dave,I act very impulsively and irrationally when under pressure

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:11   #19
Full Member+

Reading this thread has brought back a memory that I'd almost forgotten. About twenty odd years ago me and some of my family had gone for a walk over what we used to call the dairy fields (behind what used to be Daisy Dairy at West End) to the lodge. My brother suddenly got frantic pointing to the water where we could see his terrier was tangled in the reeds and couldn't get out. Rather than let him jump in (he's very asthmatic) my mum calmly stripped down and swam right across the disgusting lodge and untangled the dog, saving its life (and probably my brothers too, if he'd gone in). She hardly mentioned it too. She would have been in her early fifties then! How brave is that? Nearly gave my dad a heart attack though who was on a nearby pen when someone ran across the field shouting 'mum's in the water.
Eric likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16   #20
Beacon of light

Impulse isn't always irrational.
Sometimes we measure the event in a split second and do what we think is the right thing.
When things go wrong, it is because all of the information was not evident to us...and you can only make decisions on the evidence you can see.
Eric and westendlass like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:25   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Reading this thread has brought back a memory that I'd almost forgotten. About twenty odd years ago me and some of my family had gone for a walk over what we used to call the dairy fields (behind what used to be Daisy Dairy at West End) to the lodge. My brother suddenly got frantic pointing to the water where we could see his terrier was tangled in the reeds and couldn't get out. Rather than let him jump in (he's very asthmatic) my mum calmly stripped down and swam right across the disgusting lodge and untangled the dog, saving its life (and probably my brothers too, if he'd gone in). She hardly mentioned it too. She would have been in her early fifties then! How brave is that? Nearly gave my dad a heart attack though who was on a nearby pen when someone ran across the field shouting 'mum's in the water.
I know the lodge well westendlass,I use to fish there. Did it use to be a skatepark or something??
I think this from the Comments in the news article best sums it up:
"Compassion is compassion, whether it's aimed at a human being or an animal, and is to be applauded either way".
Unfortunately it seems to be an alien concept to some folk.
Thumbs up to your mum

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31   #22
Beacon of light

Compassion is a bit like style......'you've either got or you haven't got style' goes the line from an old song.(Sammy Cahn, I think)
Compassion is like that...if you haven't got it then you can't buy it and it can't be taught.
It has to be felt. It comes from the heart.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..