Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2014, 10:41   #1
Senior Member+

Would you do it??

Seen this artical in the local rag,
Animal lover dives into icy river to save horse (From Lancashire Telegraph)
How many folk think its crazy to risk their life for a pets? Obviously every situation is different,taken on its own merit.
How many folk would risk their on life for a pets?
I personally (would like to) think I would,for my dog.
It's been the best companion I could hope for and the bond we have makes it family.
But would you do it??
mobertol likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2014, 11:28   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Would you do it??

Love me dog to bits but NO. Not a hope in hell. Fact that i'm a crap swimmer plus n owd fart makes it stupider than ever.
Old 31-01-2014, 11:31   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Would you do it??

For a child, hopefully no hesitation, for a pet? Don't be silly, as sad as it's loss may be, you can always get another.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 12:28   #4
Beacon of light

I can't say for sure. It would depend on circumstances.
I would hate to be in that position.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 12:29   #5
Full Member+

I've read many times about people trying to save their dog, jumping in then drowning and the dog manages to get out further down the river. That said, I don't think I could bear to watch my dog in trouble without trying all I could to rescue him, he's definitely a big part of the family.
Old 31-01-2014, 12:34   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Would you do it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I've read many times about people trying to save their dog, jumping in then drowning and the dog manages to get out further down the river. That said, I don't think I could bear to watch my dog in trouble without trying all I could to rescue him, he's definitely a big part of the family.

Indeed you are correct with just about every point in the above post.
However it should be, 'trying all I can without personal injury'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 16:18   #7
God Member

The man involved in the rescue was someone who makes his living by working with animals so his was a natural reaction when seeing the animal in distress -plus he was assisted by others on the bank but it was still very brave and self-less of him to jump into the river like that. I have been involved with animals myself on a daily basis for nearly 27 years (on a dairy farm) and have seen many sides of the coin with respect to accidents / animal welfare over the years. As a rule though there is a large body of people out there who work with animals and have great respect for them and do their utmost in any situation to alleviate them from danger, pain or un-necessary suffering. It is also true that we communicate with animals and in particular with our pets who we bond with quite strongly. I have had many cats over the years and have been through all kinds of situations with them - some quite distressing when they get ill or have accidents. I have always done whatever I could for them but I think to be totally honest in a really dangerous situation I couldn't guarantee I'd put myself at risk of death for them! Then again in such a situation we can sometimes surprise ourselves by our gut reactions in the face of a crisis (I am not a very brave person!)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 16:44   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Love me dog to bits but NO. Not a hope in hell. Fact that i'm a crap swimmer plus n owd fart makes it stupider than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
For a child, hopefully no hesitation, for a pet? Don't be silly, as sad as it's loss may be, you can always get another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't say for sure. It would depend on circumstances.
I would hate to be in that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The man involved in the rescue was someone who makes his living by working with animals so his was a natural reaction when seeing the animal in distress -plus he was assisted by others on the bank but it was still very brave and self-less of him to jump into the river like that. I have been involved with animals myself on a daily basis for nearly 27 years (on a dairy farm) and have seen many sides of the coin with respect to accidents / animal welfare over the years. As a rule though there is a large body of people out there who work with animals and have great respect for them and do their utmost in any situation to alleviate them from danger, pain or un-necessary suffering. It is also true that we communicate with animals and in particular with our pets who we bond with quite strongly. I have had many cats over the years and have been through all kinds of situations with them - some quite distressing when they get ill or have accidents. I have always done whatever I could for them but I think to be totally honest in a really dangerous situation I couldn't guarantee I'd put myself at risk of death for them! Then again in such a situation we can sometimes surprise ourselves by our gut reactions in the face of a crisis (I am not a very brave person!)
Some good honest answers.
Here is another example some may remember of bravery,stupidity(depending which side of the fence your on).
Rugby star Nevin Spence, his father and brother die in slurry tank trying to save dog - Home News - UK - The Independent
Sadly this example didn't turn out to have such a happy ending.

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 31-01-2014 at 16:47.
Old 31-01-2014, 17:28   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Yep, I'm one of the stupid ones who'd risk it, point of fact some years back January time bitter cold, snow & ice on the ground but the section of lake we were working on clean up party/maintenance from the fishing club our old hound was in & out the freezing cold water picking out sticks.

At one area there's an extreme drop off & a stick was sticking up out of the underwater sand bank, the Hound had decided he wanted the stick & had gone in after it, someone shouted out that he was struggling & his choke chain appeared to be caught on the stick.

I didn't really give it much consideration, but dressed down & waded in, up past the belly button, 3 adam's apples & on the edge of the drop off, I was getting ready to swim out. Then the scuzzy mutt decided he'd had enough & come see what I was doing! Obviously something more fun than a stick! Chuntering a blue streak I turned back to the bank, guffaws & merriment all round for the onlookers ...... Barfturds!

Me not right impressed but mightily relieved, I could of wrung the scrawny ratbags neck, after I'd thawed out mind & me spuds had returned to their proper position!

Exhibit 1, the offending article "Gasbottle"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaspode on Balcony Sept 03.jpg (387.3 KB, 17 views)
Eric and mobertol like this.
Old 31-01-2014, 17:46   #10
Beacon of light

I'm sorry son, but I have to tell you that I laughed myself daft at your tale of the dog......it must be the way you tell 'em.
Looking at the dog......I think I would have braved cold water too......it looks a very cute mutt.
mobertol likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 18:03   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
it looks a very cute mutt.
Aye he wasn't a bad Hound Ma! He was mine through & through, used to travel all over Germany & Holland with me when I was out delivering. He was the star of my Hamburg adventure that I blogged.
Old 31-01-2014, 18:06   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Yep, I'm one of the stupid ones who'd risk it, point of fact some years back January time bitter cold, snow & ice on the ground but the section of lake we were working on clean up party/maintenance from the fishing club our old hound was in & out the freezing cold water picking out sticks.

At one area there's an extreme drop off & a stick was sticking up out of the underwater sand bank, the Hound had decided he wanted the stick & had gone in after it, someone shouted out that he was struggling & his choke chain appeared to be caught on the stick.

I didn't really give it much consideration, but dressed down & waded in, up past the belly button, 3 adam's apples & on the edge of the drop off, I was getting ready to swim out. Then the scuzzy mutt decided he'd had enough & come see what I was doing! Obviously something more fun than a stick! Chuntering a blue streak I turned back to the bank, guffaws & merriment all round for the onlookers ...... Barfturds!

Me not right impressed but mightily relieved, I could of wrung the scrawny ratbags neck, after I'd thawed out mind & me spuds had returned to their proper position!

Firstly,thats a great summary of the events.
That's a good looking "hound" you got there,glad it was a happy ending
mobertol and westendlass like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 31-01-2014, 21:30   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

You know how they say that pets look like their owners -he really looks like he just had to be yours - before the hair-loss!

Joking aside - defo one man and his dog! xxx
DaveinGermany likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 23:48   #14
Senior Member+

I comprehend where the folk that say No are coming from,for example if i asked the same question about (god forbid) your/a child.
Would you jump into a (well alight) burning house or a raging ice cold river to save your/a child,knowing that death was almost certain for both of you? (Although it would tear any humans soul apart) In some respects, one could argue that the bravest decision would be to say no.

password--Accyweb
Old 01-02-2014, 06:08   #15

I would and I have, so I will say yes, but it does depend on the situation.

Definitely in the circumstances the man in the article is represented to be in I would have. I've risked my life for animals several times. But each situation is different and, as AccyExplorer touches on in relation to humans, if death is almost imminent that makes a different story altogether.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..