Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2008, 11:00   #16
K-P

Re: Would you give permission for your childs pic to go public?

Pick up any high street store catalouge its full of posing kids.. your right pics of kids are everywhere.. pause the telly.. theres thousands.

But as a parent I would rather be the one who decides if pictures that feature my children are displayed on the internet or anywhere else..

I am not talking scenes or pictures with my children in.. I am talking pictures that actually feature as the main point.
Old 29-12-2008, 11:16   #17
God Member

how does that go for pics that are taken at carnivals and such like Kipax?

i know you took some pics of the last carnival, on one of them is one of my mates and her little cousin, you put them on the net

did you ask permission?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 11:20   #18
God Member

My daughter was on a picture in the observer office window.............without my permission, i was ready to go in but the missus persuaded me not to. MY kids, MY pictures MY decision.......MY kids, somebody elses pictures..............a very annoyed ME
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 11:21   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
My daughter was on a picture in the observer office window.............without my permission, i was ready to go in but the missus persuaded me not to. MY kids, MY pictures MY decision.......MY kids, somebody elses pictures..............a very annoyed ME

well said pipples
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 12:01   #20
God Member

[quote=Neil;663792]Why is it so disgusting?

I think its disgusting the child is plastered on the net at such a young age being encouraged to pose . Its not right and its not the way a child should be expected to behave.
Ok they are NOT indecent but they are way to advanced IMO For that age.

Yes!!! its her child , her decision but I have my opinion too .

How many people see the child in Asda or walking down the street? I don't see why some of you are so scared of people seeing children.

Please can someone explain why we have this photo phobia? All it is doing is ruining the memories of our children's childhood.

I agree with you here Neil, bit this is seeing a child in a natural everyday environment.
Dont get me wrong if a mum wants her child to do modelling fine, my sister did it with my neice, but as in most cases she wanted to know exactly where the pics would be published and it gave her an idea of what audience would be viewing them. If she didnt like where they were going she withdrew her from the photo shoot.
My Objection is with a young child being thrown all over a social network and no saftey measures in place to protect who is viewing them.

At what age do you think it is ok to post pictures of people on websites?

At whatever age the parent decides suitable, but uses common sense to protect.

I know my gripe is a little personal but it makes me wonder how many more young parents do such things without considering the consequences..
I know most would have the common sense to protect their young as parental instinct kicks in but im sure there are those that dont too
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 13:01   #21
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
how does that go for pics that are taken at carnivals and such like Kipax?
I dont follow the question? What would I need permission for?
Old 29-12-2008, 13:38   #22
God Member

I guess its around

"you take pictures of the crowd at a carnival, on some the key 'feature' of that picture are other peoples children enthrolled/excited etc at the carnival, you post them on the internet without asking the parents permissions. "

How does that tally with your own view of
Quote:
But as a parent I would rather be the one who decides if pictures that feature my children are displayed on the internet or anywhere else..
And just for clarity, I personally don't have an issue with it for people in public places and for non commercial use.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 13:40   #23

Well my business would take a real nosedive if I were unable to show kids' portraits in the shop- and I think there's more reason to be bothered by such local displays than global ones.

It's just people are scared by the scale of the internet. The worldwide availability of an image of a nameless child photographed in a possibly unknown location has a low risk or likelihood of being able to identify the child. In some owner-operated studio like ours in a small town, or a local rag (from any sized town) where they print the kids' names under the picture, the chance of being able to meet the child in a picture is that much higher.

Nobody has mentioned what the kids want, yet: I always ask them, as well. It's not happened yet, but I'm waiting for the day when a parent is happy for their child's image to be displayed but the child has other ideas...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 13:49   #24
Senior Member+

I have my boys pic as my avatar, I personally dont see anything wrong with this.

I wouldnt publish pics of anyone elses kids without the parents permission though
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 13:50   #25
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I guess its around

"you take pictures of the crowd at a carnival, on some the key 'feature' of that picture are other peoples children enthrolled/excited etc at the carnival, you post them on the internet without asking the parents permissions. "

How does that tally with your own view of

And just for clarity, I personally don't have an issue with it for people in public places and for non commercial use.
eeerm ddint i explain that? when i said the difference between a scene and a feature?

also my views where my views on my kids.. not my views on what other people should do..

still a bit confused as to what flashy or yourself means.

1) no laws thus no permission needed

2) scenes with kids in v featured

3) my views on my kids.. not someones cousins views and there kids

4) my colds nearly gone
Old 29-12-2008, 14:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
lets be honest, 99.999% of most folks have absolutly no interest in looking at pictures of children they dont know , would go so far as to say that most folks think other folks kids are ugly brats probably in need of a smack , only your own are cute ,

Personally, I am not willing to risk that the other 0.001% (even by your 'guesstimate') are going to be looking at my child. I believe a parents job is to protect their child, and I willdo my utmost to do so. At the school nativity, we were allowed to take photos but of our own children, or of those known to us. Itwas a fair arrangement, no parents refused to have their child on a photo,and there was an element of trust there. However I do not want some stranger to know what my child looks like, their name or enough information to do any harm. If there were only good in the world, we would not have cases of child abuse or abduction. Yes I may be overreacting,but I would ratherdo that than risk the consequences

As for the argument it allows 'psycho' parents to track down their own kids , its probably in most cases the custodial parent who has psychlogical problems . A child is the product of two people and unless EXTREME circumstances exist (in which case the offending parent should by neccessity be under supervised care) there should be no problem with the childs image appearing in the media .
Ah ok, so a parent that has abused a child should still be allowed to see the child as long as its in supervised care??? Be it mental,physical or sexual abuse, if a parent is able to do that to a child, they deserve to lose rights to it
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 14:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Legally, your missus is right. However, any photographer (or organisation employing photographers) with an ounce of moral responsibility would respect your wishes and withdraw the picture, regardless of any legal "superiority".

I do have double-standards on this, though. It's only when it comes to kids, the older generation, and more personal pictures that I respect others' wishes over my rights. If, for example, I took a photo of a whole bunch of people shouting racial abuse at a football match (for the sake of a random example), I'd have no problem publishing it and would probably ignore anyone asking me not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
My Objection is with a young child being thrown all over a social network and no saftey measures in place to protect who is viewing them.
Safety measures to protect against what? It's not intended to sound confrontational- I genuinely don't know why I should worry about attaching a picture of my nine-year-old son to this thread. If you could explain why I'd be increasing the risk of something bad happening to him or to our family, I'd be grateful.

Last edited by Studio25; 29-12-2008 at 14:28. Reason: Clarify a bit I'd worded badly
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 14:37   #28
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Legally, your missus is right. However, any photographer (or organisation employing photographers) with an ounce of moral responsibility would respect your wishes and withdraw the picture, regardless of any legal "superiority"..
Since i think the first week my website was in existance (a few years now) I ahve had a notice saying any picture will be removed as soon as I get an email stating why and proving who the person is. I ahve been asked maybe once a year to remove a pic (not the same pic.. you know what i mean) and thats always been from adult women who dont like the way they look on the pic

Most pics of kids are mine.. other peoples kids are either them knowing i have taken them or them in situations where they know they wil be photographed .. with 75 thousand pics online then some will get through.. but not that many and my instant removal notice is there for any that do.
Old 29-12-2008, 14:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Safety measures to protect against what? It's not intended to sound confrontational- I genuinely don't know why I should worry about attaching a picture of my nine-year-old son to this thread. If you could explain why I'd be increasing the risk of something bad happening to him or to our family, I'd be grateful.
I think you have to look at age ranges here. When my child reaches 9 years old, he will have had some 'life experience', know what behaviour is acceptable from someone else, and what is not. When this happens, I will happily loosen 'the reins'.
Also at the age he is able tochoose forhimself whether he wants a photo broadcasting over the internet or wherever. Whilst I have responsibility for his safety and upbringing, I choose not to do that.
Put it this way, whilst I dont mention my childs name on here, I know some people know what it is, how old he is etc. and details such as this are on Accy web for example for anyone to see. Add to that a picture as well, and any strangerwould be quite capable of having a conversation with him, with enough correct information to have him feel more secure than he should. Enough people are wary of identity theft, I holdmy son more important than my identity.

Going back to the OP, I've got to admit, whilst I willingly give permission for my sons photo to be taken by other parents, I would not be happy for it to then be plastered on the internet to be honest.
Old 29-12-2008, 14:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post

Most pics of kids are mine.. other peoples kids are either them knowing i have taken them or them in situations where they know they wil be photographed .. with 75 thousand pics online then some will get through.. but not that many and my instant removal notice is there for any that do.
How do you define, 'where they know they will be photographed'? Everytime I leave my front door, I could be being photographed, doesnt mean I know I will, or would be happy for it to be plastered all over the internet?????

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..