Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2008, 19:16   #1
God Member

Xbox 360

Need some advice from anybody who knows about Xbox for somebody who has no interest in the games market ( ie ME )

We have an about to be 11yr old who with a combination of some Christmas money and birthday money can buy an Xbox 360 bundle.

Question is what advantage would he get ( bearing in mind his age ) from spending an extra £40 buying the 60gb version than he would the standard pack
Old 30-12-2008, 19:23   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Xbox 360

This is summat i have always wanted to know too, because my son wants a xbox for his birthday and im confused with the different ones ya can buy.....example...whats the elite one?, I think thats the black one
Old 30-12-2008, 20:49   #3
K-P

My lads got an xbox bundle with no hard drive.. I ahve now bought them a hard drive to put in it (40 quid).. 20gb is enough

Without a hard drive its hard to play online games.. otherwise not found much use for it so far.
Old 30-12-2008, 21:06   #4
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I studied this before Christmas and went for the Arcade version because we have a Wii if my daughter wants to play online (and me). If you only want to play games in your house and not go online go for the Arcade version the memory is big enough unless you're thinking of buying 100 games for it, then spend what you saved on a second handset.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 21:10   #5
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
Without a hard drive its hard to play online games...
i best expand on this... first game he tried was proevo9 online and it said you must download the game updates or you wont be able to play others with the updates.. this was about 150MB and took a big chunk of memory

if games need updating he will need more room.

also you can download addons for games... daughters has the game "lips" for it and she can download more toons to the HD
Old 30-12-2008, 21:19   #6
God Member

Unlikely he will get much chance to be online as that will require us to be present and we really try to avoid his bedroom for health & safety reasons
Old 31-12-2008, 01:34   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

why do you need to be present if all he is doing is playing online? Is there a browser or chat built in?
Old 31-12-2008, 08:46   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
why do you need to be present if all he is doing is playing online? Is there a browser or chat built in?

No idea what you can and can't do online, but as soon as online is mentioned parental control automatically kicks in
Old 31-12-2008, 10:17   #9
Senior Member+

Dave, in all honesty, go for the one with the 60gb hard-drive. For the extra £40 it's well worth it. The new Dashboard (frontpage you could call it) for the XBox now allows you to install games, which although you still need the disk in the drive, does cut down on drive activity and the noise levels (XBoxes are notoriously noisy).

The XBox also has a very good Live! section and an ever increasing download choice (you'd need a hard-drive to save the content comfortably) which can be accessed with no subscription, but it's with a Gold account that the XBox really comes alive.

I own both a PS3 and a 360 and I wouldn't consider an XBox without a hard-drive.

(Panther - the Elite is basically a normal XBox, but black and with a 120gb hard-drive. It used to be the only one with a HDMI socket, but all of the new stock ones will have HDMI too now).
Old 31-12-2008, 10:58   #10
K-P

My lads have a Playstation 2, PSP, DS, Wii and xbox360, they have been online with the ps2 and its pants... they reckon the xbox is the best of the lot for online..

But unlike the playstation thats free online.. the xbox is gonna cost me 4 or 5 quid a month when the trial runs out.
Old 31-12-2008, 11:12   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I still say if you're not intending going online the Arcade version is the one for you.

The Wii is good for online Mario Kart don't you agree Jimbo?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 13:57   #12
God Member

Quick Q re HD movie downloads, how much are they, whats teh choice like etc?

for example, if someone was choosing whether to blow 150 quid on a blu ray player and ~15 a month on Lovefilm but may watch 3-4 films one month but maybe only 1 or 2 another. Or would a XBOX and just downloading them as and when be better value? IS teh choice good enough or is it a restricted selection?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 14:17   #13
God Member

Well after all the help and advice we were at the mercy of the gamestation shop as a chunk of his money was in vouchers. The standard bundles on offer were poor and the first assistant we asked basically said 'tough thats all we have' Her who must be obeyed then had a word with the manager and he put a bundle together with a hard drive 360, the entertainment pack and FIfa 08, he wouldn't run to Fifa 09

One lad very happy in his room where he might surface from sometime next week

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 31-12-2008, 15:52   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
My lads have a Playstation 2, PSP, DS, Wii and xbox360, they have been online with the ps2 and its pants... they reckon the xbox is the best of the lot for online..

But unlike the playstation thats free online.. the xbox is gonna cost me 4 or 5 quid a month when the trial runs out.
Live! on the Xbox is the best online experience. Although I've had no problems with PSN for the PS3, Live! does run faultlessly and there's more on there too.

If you have a look around, you can get 13 month Gold memberships for about £27, which is less than the month-by-month price.

Here's a link to a 12 month one for £25 -
12 month xbox 360 live gold subscription/membership code
Old 31-12-2008, 16:08   #15
Senior Member+

Anyone seen around in the christmas sales for any cheap xbox 360 bundels? Im after the hardrive too

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..