Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2008, 09:41   #46

Re: Yate's Wine Lodge Blackburn

Well that went easier than I thought and I am still in one piece!!
In 1893 the following are listed:

Swan Inn, 3 and 5 Astley Gate

Sun Inn, 1 Astley GAte

Lower Sun Inn, 4 Church St

Dun Horse Inn 13 Market St Lane (where it is today)

Crown Inn , 9 Cardwell Place

Old Bank Hotel, 6 Mincing Lane (the present site of Margots Folly?)

Lots of other pubs too numerous to mention but no Yates Wine Lodge, maybe it was after this time?

Info from Blackburn's Old Inns by George C Miller, published by Landy Publishing in 1993
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2008, 11:55   #47
Resting In Peace

I think I have found it from an old map. Go up Church Street, turn right on King William Street, first left Lord Street and it was on the left hand side.
Wine Lodge.jpg
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 14:14   #48

The only pub listed, that might be relevant, on my 1893 list for Lord St is Britania Inn, 33 and 35 Lord St
I wonder if this later became the Yates Wine Lodge. What year are we talking?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 15:19   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
The only pub listed, that might be relevant, on my 1893 list for Lord St is Britania Inn, 33 and 35 Lord St
I wonder if this later became the Yates Wine Lodge. What year are we talking?
c1960..........I think we should be looking at the Slot Machine place at the back of Nat West Bank (New Market Street).
Halifax (Ex Burtons) is on one corner Nat West on the other.
The George and Dragon was at the top of the Street at the Northgate end opposite the Ribblesdale.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 05:37   #50

Was there the Legs A Man, and the Merchant around that area, I remember all the rest. The one accross from Tony's Ballroom and was next door to what was once the Co-op Emporium which is now the library was it the Oueens.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 06:09   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Was there the Legs A Man, and the Merchant around that area, I remember all the rest. The one accross from Tony's Ballroom and was next door to what was once the Co-op Emporium which is now the library was it the Oueens.
Alan , your a diamond , think that was the Lion pub on the street behind to Cashys less salubrious haunts, (the Sun and the Swan,) going onto Fleming square where the Knife shop (Little Sheffield) was , I've been wracking my brains over this thread and the location of places , had the Dun Horse confused with the George and Dragon etc.

just hope one day I don't end up with sodding alziemers and start wandering around Northern California in my pyjamas asking directions to the Black Abbey

re. the Merchant .......seem to remember going in there when I was about 16/17 it had a reputation as a 'gay" (not called that in those days) pub and we (a bunch of lads from Ossy and Accy) wanted to see what 'they' looked like .

( note to younger Accy-webbers, this was in the days when Gays didn't exist, apart from a certain Clayton club owner who your parents told you to stay clear of , but not why )
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 08:40   #52
God Member

That map cleared my memory - the 'white patch' top right is where the cobbled open air market was

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 09:53   #53
Super Moderator

What a great thread - it's really reawakened a lot of memories for me from the 60's and 70's. The Merchants was a regular port of call for me (but only for the beer!). Can't remember exactly where it was now; I know it was on Darwen Street somewhere and it wasn't too far from the Boulevard, as we used to have the final hour in there, before rushing off for the Accy bus. Another one I used to patronise on the same street was the very appropriately-named Boilermakers Arms!
Old 20-09-2008, 10:31   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the merchants was on darwen st at the corner by the traffic lights, further up towards the now "arndale" was the County - lion house which a certain MR Cotton used to frequent he was not a man to mess with if you valued yer teeth, just up a few doors from the county, was the legs of man. think theres only the general post office left on that block from back then.
Old 20-09-2008, 13:13   #55
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the merchants was on darwen st at the corner by the traffic lights, further up towards the now "arndale" was the County - lion house which a certain MR Cotton used to frequent he was not a man to mess with if you valued yer teeth, just up a few doors from the county, was the legs of man. think theres only the general post office left on that block from back then.
I remember Bob Cotton from when we lived in Blackburn, many moons ago.
My ex was always getting on the wrong side of him, and recall him coming to our door several times asking for him. Scary guy. Just one of the many reasons my ex has been so for 25 years.

Used to go in the Merchants late 60s/early 70s. I remember Ken Pilling. If I recall he later took another pub on the boulevard.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 13:22   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
I remember Bob Cotton from when we lived in Blackburn, many moons ago.
My ex was always getting on the wrong side of him, and recall him coming to our door several times asking for him. Scary guy. Just one of the many reasons my ex has been so for 25 years.

Used to go in the Merchants late 60s/early 70s. I remember Ken Pilling. If I recall he later took another pub on the boulevard.
was talking to a guy in spain,last october cazzer, Bob is apparently in very poor health these days, yer ex could not have been the brightest bulb on the street, Bob certainly was not a man to get wrong side of once, never mind always. may have seen ya late 60s,used to go in merchants every friday night around 10-00 n sit up on the little balcony bit n watch fer the drunken knobs to come in n start taking the mick out of Ken.Sharon,Pearl, n Beaky, was hilarious watching Ken whizz em through the door. pmsl

Last edited by cashman; 20-09-2008 at 13:26.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 13:25   #57
Caz
God Member

He was one of his "money lending clients" Lost count of the things that had to be sold to keep up with his debts.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 13:28   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
He was one of his "money lending clients" Lost count of the things that had to be sold to keep up with his debts.
ah that explains it.
Old 20-09-2008, 13:47   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What a great thread - it's really reawakened a lot of memories for me from the 60's and 70's. The Merchants was a regular port of call for me (but only for the beer!). Can't remember exactly where it was now; I know it was on Darwen Street somewhere and it wasn't too far from the Boulevard, as we used to have the final hour in there, before rushing off for the Accy bus. Another one I used to patronise on the same street was the very appropriately-named Boilermakers Arms!
From the Merchants you just nipped down Dandy Walk to the Boulevard Wynonie, did it many a time. Used to go in the Merch on a friday night when Ken Pilling had it, that was some experiance I can tll you., Pearl was a sight to behold
Old 20-09-2008, 13:49   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If I remember rightly wasn't the Legs of Man an Ale House cashy?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..