Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2012, 15:23   #1
God Member

You can't beat a bacon butty...

Special treat for lunch today. Defrosted the last three slices of decent back bacon I'd smuggled into Italy last November. (Finished the gammon a while back -they don't know what they are missing here using all their pigs to make salami and prosciutto!)

Fried up the bacon (non of that healthy grilling) and layered it up on some nutty cereal bread which was spread thickly with Lurpak salted butter. A real feast, washed it down with a large mug of English breakfast tea(Twinings).

Yesterday I heard on Sky news that 2 rashers of bacon a day gives you a 20% higher chance of getting something or other...what the hell, you can't beat a decent bacon butty.

Sausage butties, chip butties and another secret favourite of mine, fish fingers with ketchup, aren't bad either (butter is not an optional it is a necessity on a good butty)...what's your favourite?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2012, 16:27   #2

Re: You can't beat a bacon butty...

Ignore the sensationalist media - if you believe everything they say, even breathing can cause development of terminal illnesses. Can't beat a good bacon butty. No sauce on mine - you can't improve on perfection.

Careful smuggling food in suitcases though. Not sure what Italy is like, but other countries give quite heavy fines for minor foodstuffs.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 16:52   #3
Senior Member+

Bacon and mushroom is one of mine and also a good old plain fried egg butt , good quality free range eggs and touch of salt plenty of black pepper yum yum starting to slaver now
Old 14-01-2012, 18:10   #4
Beacon of light

I take no notice of these studies.......after all, you have to die of something.
They talk about processed meat being a trigger for pancreatic cancer....yet there are only 8000 people per year who are diagnosed with this form of cancer.....surely with all the people who eat processed meat it would be more, if this study is to be believed.

Anyway, for me it has to be bacon....streaky, the fattier the better, crisped up and put onto soft white bread...or an oven bottom with a mug of hot strong tea(leaves....not bags)...that is my idea of heaven. I often muse(while eating my bacon butty) if her Maj gets to eat such delicacies.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 19:33   #5

Streaky bacon very crispy with white bread even better when cold for lunch - it was one of my grandma's picnic items when we were off to see my auntie in Suffolk and takes me back to the 1950's - delicious!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:23   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
Careful smuggling food in suitcases though. Not sure what Italy is like, but other countries give quite heavy fines for minor foodstuffs.
You are right of course - but decent bacon is worth the risk. I always take it vacuum packed after mum was onced stopped by the sniffer dogs in Milan -they didn't make her open her bag as she didn't look like a typical drug smuggler -but it did scare her and she was carrying some bacon and english sausages for me!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-01-2012, 09:28   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Bacon and mushroom is one of mine and also a good old plain fried egg butt , good quality free range eggs and touch of salt plenty of black pepper yum yum starting to slaver now
Bacon, Egg, mushrooms, beans, sausage, fried bread every sunday morning for breakfast best of the week, that will be in about an hour from now
Old 15-01-2012, 09:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Bacon, Egg, mushrooms, beans, sausage, fried bread every sunday morning for breakfast best of the week, that will be in about an hour from now
Yummy -we're on risotto!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-01-2012, 11:15   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yeh forgot the Black pudding.
Old 15-01-2012, 14:09   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Bacon, Egg, mushrooms, beans, sausage, fried bread
Did the full English last week-end (including the Black puddin' Cashy) as we had friends over who'd stayed the night & today it was just Sossy & eggs on toast, can't kick the arse out of it every week.
Old 15-01-2012, 16:28   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh forgot the Black pudding.
Ya Joan can't have it so neither can I, I just had haggis for lunch yesterday
Old 15-01-2012, 16:40   #12
Beacon of light

eeeeewwwwww...pass me a bucket. Just the mention of the stuff makes me heave John.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 17:14   #13

I prefer sausage buttys tbh
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 17:35   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage butty View Post
I prefer sausage buttys tbh
Argh, Cannibal !
Old 15-01-2012, 20:48   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Streaky bacon very crispy with white bread even better when cold for lunch - it was one of my grandma's picnic items when we were off to see my auntie in Suffolk and takes me back to the 1950's - delicious!
I remeber those cold bacon sandwiches ... used to take a bunch when I went train spotting. Sitting on an embankment, waiting for the Midday Scot, and eating the cold bacon butties ... cold sausage was good too. And I was an HP sauce kinda kid. Had to be a splash of it on the meat. Although I understand the position of the purists.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..