Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2007, 10:41   #1

Thumbs up Your Local Pub

what would make your perfect local pub ?
when you go out you here people want so many different things ,some like karaoke,live music ,sport,quiz nights ,food.what makes a good local pub .at the end of the night would you like to get a pizza from your local instead of going to take away.should there be a family day say on a sunday,
iam thinking of taking another pub and now the smoking ban as kicked in just wondering what punters are looking for what would make you apreciate your local more?
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2007, 11:36   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Your Local Pub

An after hours smoking type lock-in or a secret warm dry room where we can enjoy a pint and a fag.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 11:43   #3
Senior Member+

even though i dont smoke it has to have the smoking room
now that winter approaches i dont fancy standing outside wth the wife
or my mates trying to finish a natter

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:39   #4
God Member

each to their own, I like background music (i.e. so I can talk to people not be deafened.), Pool Table, Good selection of well kept beer (both Bitter/ale and Lager/Stout etc as I can switch drinks faster than I change underwear). SKY should be in a seperate room so I can choose if I want to watch it without it being forced on me. Food/snacks are a bonus but not compulsory. If you do serve it then till a decent time please (or at least a restricted menu after 9pm, chips, butties, pies etc stuff that anyone can do )

Outside area with plenty of seating and room for prams for those Sunday afternoon walks/pop in for a swift one.

Friendly bar staff that are attentive and not sat gabbing to their mates at teh end of the bar.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 13:11   #5
God Member

This has made me consider how a landlord can overcome the smoking ban.
We can smoke in our own home and our guests can too.
What if ---
a landlord opens a room which he describes as his personal lounge to which admission is by invitation only as private guests. It should not have a bar area (even though some people do have such in their homes), and they would need to be waiter served, and no payment should be seen to change hands.
Have I found a loophole in the law? - comment please

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 13:34   #6
God Member

IIRC legally the public bar is deemed by law to be the landlords 'living room'

Old 26-09-2007, 13:40   #7
God Member

Had to google -IIRC: If I Remember Correctly- have now got the message.
Could a seperate room as I suggested (invitation only) be exempt from the ban, on the basis that it is his own living quarters?

Old 26-09-2007, 13:53   #8
God Member

I reckon it would be difficult to prove that its not part of the public access part of the pub. You also have to remember that each time you go for your license renewed the Police can object and the magistrates would look on it as you trying to 'pull one over the law' . No License, no job, no job no house......

Old 26-09-2007, 18:51   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

pub?...whats a pub?

been that long i forgotten what one looks like!
Old 26-09-2007, 19:01   #10
God Member

I also like a pub to have background music or a decent juke box, also a live band/act on Saturday nights even if its once a month its better than not, clean toilets a must, plenty of bog roll, friendly and attentive staff, bar snacks a good idea too, always get peckish after a beer.
Old 26-09-2007, 19:27   #11
Senior Member+

My perfect pub..........no food, no kids, just a nice friendly natter with all my mates. Sitting at the bar is best with a pint of 1664 and a packet of cigs. Well, we can all dream!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 22:40   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Sitting at the bar is best with a pint of 1664 and a packet of cigs. Well, we can all dream!
Hey junetta you have just become my dream friend pint of 1664 and a packet of cigs...ahhhhhhhh lovely

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 14:26   #13
God Member

I have found this BBC refence to the smoking ban
BBC NEWS | Magazine | Where can you smoke once the ban starts?
It states-
But smoking rooms can be provided in "any premises where a person has his home, or is living permanently or temporarily", such as hotels, care homes and prisons.
It appears that a way to overcome the ban is to have paying guests on the premises so that a smoking room can be allocated legally

PS a further newspaper item shows that my previous idea wouldn't be allowed
The Daily Telegraph asked the Department of Health: “Can I smoke...”:

...in my home? Yes - as long as you do not earn a living there.
... in my home if I invite friends there? Yes.
... in my home if a nurse visits? Yes - but the nurse can ask you to put out your cigarette out of courtesy.
... in my home when the cleaner comes? Yes.
... in my home if the builders are in? Yes.
... in my home if I have caterers to help with a party? No. It is now a workplace.
... if I work on a business plan alone at my home? Yes.
... if I invite a colleague to help me on the business plan at my home? No. It is now a workplace
... in a police car if I have been arrested? No. It is a workplace. A 7cm No Smoking sign must be displayed.
... in my car if I am using it for voluntary work? No. It is classed as work.
... on a bus? No. It is a workplace. A 7cm No Smoking sign must be displayed.
... outside my house? Yes - if the area does not have a roof. No - if it is enclosed, such as a public stairwell.
... in a smoking shelter, attached to my office? Yes and no. If it has a roof or canvas awning - yes. But if it also has walls or a door - no

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-09-2007 at 14:32.
Old 28-09-2007, 16:03   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Daily Telegraph asked the Department of Health: “Can I smoke...”:

...in my home? Yes - as long as you do not earn a living there.
... in my home if I invite friends there? Yes.
... in my home if a nurse visits? Yes - but the nurse can ask you to put out your cigarette out of courtesy.
... in my home when the cleaner comes? Yes.
... in my home if the builders are in? Yes.
... in my home if I have caterers to help with a party? No. It is now a workplace.
... if I work on a business plan alone at my home? Yes.
... if I invite a colleague to help me on the business plan at my home? No. It is now a workplace
... in a police car if I have been arrested? No. It is a workplace. A 7cm No Smoking sign must be displayed.
... in my car if I am using it for voluntary work? No. It is classed as work.
... on a bus? No. It is a workplace. A 7cm No Smoking sign must be displayed.
... outside my house? Yes - if the area does not have a roof. No - if it is enclosed, such as a public stairwell.
... in a smoking shelter, attached to my office? Yes and no. If it has a roof or canvas awning - yes. But if it also has walls or a door - no

How come you can have a fag at home if you've got the cleaner or the builders in but not if you've got a colleague or the caterers in?

Don't get me wrong, I think all this smoking ban business has been taken too far but if they're saying your home is a workplace if you've got caterers in, is it not also a workplace if you've got a cleaner in? If they're going to introduce silly legislation then a bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.
Old 28-09-2007, 16:25   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

perfect pub, a vault that is sacred,as used to be, a good jukebox room, a nice best room, that was a PROPER pub. ah well we can dream.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..