Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Howard & Bullough Toolroom 1940-1946 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/howard-and-bullough-toolroom-1940-1946-a-17914.html)

Trevis2 10-11-2005 01:17

Howard & Bullough Toolroom 1940-1946

Does anyone have any information on anyone living today that worked in the Toolroom between 1940-1946 under George Crawshaw
Trevor B Williams

Siddie 30-12-2005 21:57

Re: Howard & Bullough Toolroom 1940-1946

My grandfather was a foreman around that time, his name was Arthur Livesey, sadly though no longer with us,

nsha 03-02-2006 07:57

My father worked there around this time, his name is Norman Haythorne.

Trevis2 04-02-2006 00:47

Hinsha
Glad to here from you, i worked in the tool room at H&B and seem to remember the name did he work at the globe works,how long have you lived down under

nsha 05-02-2006 04:57

Hi Trevis2

Thank you for you reply, I left Accrington in 1962, I have been back several times and will return this year. My father worked in H @ B but not too much is know, he is dead now and I do remember the area, I was put into the pre school? near Richmond Hill Street and often saw the H @B furnace from there. I was a young nipper at the time. My father was only working part time, simply because there was not enough work for everybody. I do recall the name Crawshaw however. Please contact me if you wish to correspond. I was born in 1942. Few people from this era are available to contact.

Siddie 14-02-2006 16:56

Sorry I misled you, I have just been corrected by my dad, who has a better memory than me and he is 82yrd old, he tells me my grandfather Arthur Livesey didnt work in the tool room but the ring frame room on the top floor of H & B and he wasnt foreman he was a shop steward. I couldnt have got it more wrong.
I was just wondering if anyone has any photographs of INSIDE H & B
I have a couple of the outside if anyone wants them. I too left Accrington in 1962/63 at the age of 12/13yrs and returned to a much changed Accy in Oct 2004
Sheila

Ivor 22-03-2012 16:28

Hi. I was an apprentice in the toolroom at H&B, from '62 to '64, as part of a 6 year appreticeship. In '64 I finished my time and in '65 was moved to the Planning Office, where I wrote programs for the Numerical Control machines that H&B were investing in.
The Toolroom foreman in my time was George Crawshaw.
Other names I remember are: Jimmy Butterworth, Alec Staff, John Elwood, Wilson Penny (who smoked Balkan Sobranie in the afternoon), Harry Day, Herbert Sutcliffe, Roy Bradley, Alan Taylor, Albert Cronshaw, Dick Ingham, Charlie Whalley, Bob Jackson, Kevin Birkin. There are lots of others that I cannot recall, although I can see their faces.
I recall them with affection; they are the ones to whom I am indebted for the skills, knowledge and work ethic that have allowed me to have fulfilling, comfortable and useful life.
I am Ivor Gears and would be greatfull if some one else can fill in the gaps of my memory.

hedman2003 22-03-2012 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivor (Post 979342)
Hi. I was an apprentice in the toolroom at H&B, from '62 to '64, as part of a 6 year appreticeship. In '64 I finished my time and in '65 was moved to the Planning Office, where I wrote programs for the Numerical Control machines that H&B were investing in.
The Toolroom foreman in my time was George Crawshaw.
Other names I remember are: Jimmy Butterworth, Alec Staff, John Elwood, Wilson Penny (who smoked Balkan Sobranie in the afternoon), Harry Day, Herbert Sutcliffe, Roy Bradley, Alan Taylor, Albert Cronshaw, Dick Ingham, Charlie Whalley, Bob Jackson, Kevin Birkin. There are lots of others that I cannot recall, although I can see their faces.
I recall them with affection; they are the ones to whom I am indebted for the skills, knowledge and work ethic that have allowed me to have fulfilling, comfortable and useful life.
I am Ivor Gears and would be greatfull if some one else can fill in the gaps of my memory.

John Ellwood was my grandad, I often heard him talk about Alec Staff but dont remember him mentioning any of the other names - I think he retired in about 1970 or possibly slightly earlier after long service to H and B

Any memories of my Grandad would be most welcome

lol1944 23-03-2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsha (Post 236941)
Hi Trevis2

Thank you for you reply, I left Accrington in 1962, I have been back several times and will return this year. My father worked in H @ B but not too much is know, he is dead now and I do remember the area, I was put into the pre school? near Richmond Hill Street and often saw the H @B furnace from there. I was a young nipper at the time. My father was only working part time, simply because there was not enough work for everybody. I do recall the name Crawshaw however. Please contact me if you wish to correspond. I was born in 1942. Few people from this era are available to contact.

I was born 1944, lived Arncliffe Avenue, sister was Anne. Our dad worked H&B when I was a youngster---Walter Brennand

Ivor 23-03-2012 22:07

John Ellwood was my mentor for a time in the Inspection dept. I remember him with great affection. Alec Staff was in charge of the Inspection dept. in my time, but he became forman when George Crawshaw retired. When I was a Planning Engineer, I could approach Alec to get tooling made on my say so, with paper work to follow. He and some of the names I have mentioned, were not allowed to enlist in WWll, and although only teenagers, ran the toolroom throughout the war, the older skilled men having escaped early.

Ivor 24-03-2012 12:56

Did you work at TMM? If so, I think I met you once or twice.

Karateman 24-03-2012 17:50

I worked in the toolroom in 1971 I did 6 mths as part of my apprenticeship. Alec and his brother Harold were in charge...Alec was foreman and Harold I think was the chargehand (both deceased I think). Some names I remember...Phil Wardle, Arthur (forget), Brian Sutch, Alan Parsons, Charlie Whalley (now deceased).....In Tool planning I remember Ronnie Webster,Alan Hellack, Fred Wild...I'll have to think of some more...

Phil

Ivor 25-03-2012 16:15

Hi.
I was in the Planning Office in '71, writing programs for the NC machines. I remember Jimmy Butterworth, Stewart Kenyon(Cougar) and some of the Jig & Tool draughsmen, John Lowe, Gordon Birtwistle(Maigret), Trevor Duckworth, Joe Rayner, Alan Taylor, Gerry Pilkington and Tony Wilson.There are many others who I can recall but not name

Karateman 01-04-2012 19:46

I remember some of those...wasn't Joe Raynor in charge of the planning office, under Ronnie Webster who was Production Manager. I remember someone called Alan..lived on Grantham rd near Hollins lane. They were in the same office together, Jig and tool, Planners and the workstudy guys....I worked on Workstudy for a while.....

Phil

walkinman221 01-04-2012 19:49

My grandad Wilson Yates worked at H&B not sure what department though, my dad also served his time as an electrician there Bryan Yates is his name.