Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Woodnook St Mary's (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/woodnook-st-marys-29163.html)

magpie 11-03-2007 15:34

Woodnook St Mary's

did anyone go to Woodnook St Marys, later name change to Christ Church: in the 60's early 70's

Magpie

flashy 11-03-2007 15:35

Re: Woodnook St Mary's

no...............

Margaret Pilkington 11-03-2007 15:39

No, but my dear Mama was the caretaker there during that time.

cashman 11-03-2007 23:14

if thats the one off royds street, me best mate was expelled from there.:D

lesleyd 15-04-2007 17:22

Yes i went there. It would be from 66 till about 72. Mr Barton was headmaster and the other teachers were Mr Whalley and i think Mrs Aspen.
In the infants the Headmistress was Mrs Waterhouse but i cant remember any of the other teachers names in the infants.
I remember a big white rocking horse in the entrance of the infants.
I have so many happy memories of that school.
I was the captain of the girls in Mr Bartons class and used to go to the post office every Monday morning to get the saving stamps.
School friends names i remember.......Susan Kennady. Janet Parkinson. Lesley Mcmillan. Derek Edge. Micheal Allen. James Dukes.
If i remember correctly the dinner lady was Mrs Duxbury.
My name was Lesley Owen.
My brother went there as well as my mother and uncles.
Any body else out there that went to that school dueing them years.

magpie 15-04-2007 18:07

Mrs Aspen died a few years ago ( that woman put the fear of god into me)
I wonder what they did with the boads that had all the names on.... from passing the 11 +
Mr Whalley and his bright red face ( I also remember he never had a fag out of his mouth)

lesleyd 15-04-2007 18:20

Do you remember the make up Mrs Aspen used to wear. I remember her lipstick always on very thick and yes she could be scarry. Do you have any idea of how old she was? My memory of her was she was not all that young when she was teaching me.
Do you remember the boards that had the so called music sheets on for the girls to play their recorders.
I know Mr Barton died a while ago. I never knew what happened to Mr Whalley.

Margaret Pilkington 15-04-2007 19:00

Mrs Duxbury was the caretaker....I know because she is my Mum.

magpie 15-04-2007 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleyd (Post 411444)
Do you remember the make up Mrs Aspen used to wear. I remember her lipstick always on very thick and yes she could be scarry. Do you have any idea of how old she was? My memory of her was she was not all that young when she was teaching me.
Do you remember the boards that had the so called music sheets on for the girls to play their recorders.
I know Mr Barton died a while ago. I never knew what happened to Mr Whalley.

Oh yes the recorder: 3 2 1 3 2 2 1 3 2 1 3 : I think Mr Whalley is still alive, not sure of the others:
I think we must have been the only school, that had to make their own exercise books sugar paper and string:
I also recall that flipping organ thingy, one had to pump the peddles whilst the other played:
oh what happy days....

:Banane48: :Banane14: :Banane48:

janet 16-04-2007 09:53

I also went to Woodnook St Marys, I was there from the late 50s till early 60s. I too remember the said teachers. Mrs Demain was the lady who supervised us in the playground at lunch time. I then went to Woodnook on Hudson street and then finished off at Hollins when we were transfered in 1967-1968

Margaret Pilkington 16-04-2007 19:54

Mr Barton died a long time ago...well more than 10 years ago...Mr Whalley...he died quite awhile ago too. Mrs Aspden is currently living in Eastbourne...but is not enjoying the best of health at the moment.

magpie 16-04-2007 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 411794)
Mr Barton died a long time ago...well more than 10 years ago...Mr Whalley...he died quite awhile ago too. Mrs Aspden is currently living in Eastbourne...but is not enjoying the best of health at the moment.

I was in St Mary's Club Ossy and a woman there ( who is also a nurse)
told me she had nursed Mrs Aspden and that she had died...

sad to hear Mr Whalley is no longer with us... a really nice man ( at time)

chrissy 16-04-2007 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by janet (Post 411597)
I also went to Woodnook St Marys, I was there from the late 50s till early 60s. I too remember the said teachers. Mrs Demain was the lady who supervised us in the playground at lunch time. I then went to Woodnook on Hudson street and then finished off at Hollins when we were transfered in 1967-1968

Woaaa I was there then 67-68 Mr Hargreaves was the head and used to frighten me to death, he was vicious. :Banane43:
I went up to Hollins in 68 and left school in 69

magpie 16-04-2007 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by janet (Post 411597)

I remember Mrs Demain ( and the brick she used to keep in here handbag) or so she would tell us :)

also Jones Sweet shop next door to the school...

Margaret Pilkington 17-04-2007 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 411853)
I was in St Mary's Club Ossy and a woman there ( who is also a nurse)
told me she had nursed Mrs Aspden and that she had died...

sad to hear Mr Whalley is no longer with us... a really nice man ( at time)

It must have been a different Mrs Aspden...because my Mum speaks to her almost every week.