Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Taylor Family – Oswaldtwistle, Rishton and Church. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/taylor-family-oswaldtwistle-rishton-and-church-29400.html)

Doug 16-11-2007 15:12

Re: Taylor Family – Oswaldtwistle, Rishton and Church.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharman (Post 494497)
Hi Doug

I have lots of Taylor's in my family tree who came from the Oswaldtwislte and Church area, do you know the parents of your William Taylor?

Sharman :)

Hi Sharman,

I’m not to sure at this stage. I believe that William’s father was another William he was born c1820 and died at the age of 50 in 1870. It was always rumoured that he was a farmer but most likely a coalminer.

His son my great, great grandfather was living at Far Holmes Cottage sometime before 1901 up to 1910.

It should be noted that on the 1901 census their name was recorded as Daylor by Mistake.

Doug :)

Sharman 16-11-2007 22:17

Hiya Doug

My Taylor's were living in Church in the 1840s, their father was was Michael Taylor who was born in 1819 (I believe) but I havent got any confirmation of his birth/baptism as yet. He was a sinker at a colamine, in fact died at the age of 32 (1852) by going down with the mine he was digging out. As I havent found Michael's baptism yet and only know that is father was called Robert Taylor so he more than likely had siblings, maybe your William's father was one of my Michael's siblings.

Trouble is Taylor is quite a common name isnt it

Let me know if you find any link with my Taylors and I will gladly share my information with you.

Regards
Sharman

ossy kid 18-11-2007 03:25

Lots of Taylors in my wifes tree. We also lived on Whiteash Lane in the early 70s and there were Taylors lower down then. Her Taylors were Thomas born 1839 married 1863 to Alice nee Taylor, children John b-1863; Elizabeth b-1866; William b-1865; Thomas b-1868; Ann b-1870; George b-1875; Caroline b-1877; Clare b-1878; Nancy b-1884; Yates b-1886, and then I think they ran out of names!!!

ossy kid 18-11-2007 03:28

Forgot to mention they were all born Oswaldtwistle, living 2 Lion St Church in 1881.

mallard 19-11-2007 19:48

If i can rembber i think there was a gye call jame,s and he was a bilder in osw.

Sharman 29-11-2007 22:05

Hi Ossy Kid

I have been transcribing Oswaldtwistle Immanuel parish records for the website Lancs OPC recently and have come across a few a couple of Yates Taylors marriages, get your wife to look at the website if she hasnt found it there are lots of Taylors on there.

Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

:)

Sharman

junetta 29-11-2007 22:54

That's a brilliant site, Sharman. I found it a few weeks ago and admire you for helping to transcribe the records. I've done transcribing in the past and it isn't an easy task.

I'm interested in the Yates family from Yate and Pickup Bank. I also have Taylors mixed in there too.

ossy kid 30-11-2007 04:24

Thanks Sharman, I,ve been on there several times, you do great work. I also go up Immanuel whenever we,re home and clean some of the graves but it,s a loosing battle.

earthdog 28-12-2007 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 495244)
Lots of Taylors in my wifes tree. We also lived on Whiteash Lane in the early 70s and there were Taylors lower down then. Her Taylors were Thomas born 1839 married 1863 to Alice nee Taylor, children John b-1863; Elizabeth b-1866; William b-1865; Thomas b-1868; Ann b-1870; George b-1875; Caroline b-1877; Clare b-1878; Nancy b-1884; Yates b-1886, and then I think they ran out of names!!!

Hello there, I've just been looking at the family you mentioned on Ancestry.co.uk and that looks a good match for part of my wife's family tree. Her g-greatmother was Elizabeth Taylor, and Elizabeth's father was Thomas Taylor. Also the dates and locations look right. What I know is that our Elizabeth Taylor originally married a chap called Hewitt. They had at least three children: William (about 1887), John Thomas (about 1888), and Elizabeth Alice (about 1890). Mr Hewitt died at some point, because in December 1890, Elizabeth remarried Thomas Cotter. So, Thomas Cotter and Elizabeth are my wife's g-granparents. These two, and the three Hewitt children are on the 1891 census at 67 Havelock Street, Oswaldtwistle. Does that match any of your stuff?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Alan

earthdog 28-12-2007 07:26

... following on, it does look like a match because I just looked at Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project - Parish of Oswaldtwistle (mentioned earlier in this thread) to find details of Elizabeth Talyor's marriage to William Hewitt. I think there's a transcription error in what I see because it metions "22 Fion" street. That aside, I reckon it's the right people. Here's the register entry:

Marriage: 1 Jan 1885 Immanuel, Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, England
William Hewitt - 21 Collier bachelor of 5 Rhoden Road
Elizabeth Taylor - 19 spinster of 22 Fion Street, Church
Groom's Father: William Hewitt, deceased, Labourer
Bride's Father: Thomas Taylor, Collier
Witness: John Taylor; Ellen Parkinson, (X)
Married by banns by: Boulby Haslewood
Register: Marriages 1877 - 1887, Page 195, Entry 389
Source: LDS Film 1470816

So what's your exact connection to Elizabeth Taylor? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Alan

Sharman 30-12-2007 14:03

Hi Alan

I am actually the person who transcribed that marriage for the LancsOPC site and yes now I look at it again it could be Lion Street rather than Fion, I will ask for it to be amended accordingly.

Regards
Sharman

earthdog 30-12-2007 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharman (Post 509770)
Hi Alan

I am actually the person who transcribed that marriage for the LancsOPC site and yes now I look at it again it could be Lion Street rather than Fion, I will ask for it to be amended accordingly.

Regards
Sharman

Well fancy that! What a coincidence. Anyway, I was fairly sure it was the right one, despite the descrepancy, but thanks for confirming. That's great work you're contributing to there. Keep up the good work.

Alan

rishtonette 26-05-2008 18:50

hello, i am looking for lost Taylors from rishton, i dont think i can help you much but i was trawling Great Harwood cemetery eariler and found Taylor gravestones, not mine but the names you mentioned ring a bell.

If you can help, im looking for info on my great great grandparents. His name was Albert Taylor and i think his wife was Jane Edmondson (not sure though, thats just what i found in the free BMD website and a census doc) they had a daughter May in around 1902 although i have found two May taylors with the mothers maiden name Edmondson! one in 1902 and 1 in 1906, it could be that the first May died so they had another, but i dont know. May my great gran died in the 80's but lied about her age which doesnt help! and the rest of my family are dead or clueless! im struggling to find out dates and details of her parents, then thier parents.
its driving me mad!!!!

kdoc 29-05-2008 10:53

Hi I am looking for Taylors aswell,Thomas Taylor bc1836 married Winifred Dewhurst from Accrington in 1859.Winifred is descended fro Halstead and Hindles of Church and Slaidburn.
Having problems working out Thomas Taylor parents as few of similiar age.Hin 1861 he was a clerk at the cotton mill but by 1881 he was a Brewer/innkeeper but unsure of what pub.His address was Burnley Street.I have info on Halstead and Hindles and descensdants of Taylors -Banks
thanks Karen

kdoc 29-05-2008 10:57

Hi again,just checking tree afterwards and Thomas Taylors second wife was a Hannah Yates who had a son Jason from her first marriage.They married in about 1874.
Karen