Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   woodnook sec school (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/woodnook-sec-school-45476.html)

taddy 07-08-2019 19:55

Re: woodnook sec school

At least, I think that is correct but as my 15th birthday fell in early February I think that I left in Easter 1962.
Taddy

Margaret Pilkington 07-08-2019 20:49

That sounds right Taddy.

I left in July 1962...I did not turn 15 until June.

landhusweg 09-08-2019 09:18

I attended Woodnook Secondary School from 1954 until 1958. I remember most of the teachers mentioned in previous messages except Mrs. Croston.

When I was in the 1- 3 Class the Headmaster was Mr. Garnett, he was a real brutal Teacher/Headmaster. He was succeeded by Mr. Allen Whom we helped decorate his new home at Harwood Bar.
The Art teacher was Miss Atherton, the music teacher was Miss Tattersall (I think).
Mr. Gale had just started when I was in my last year, same as Mr. Allen.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon

Margaret Pilkington 09-08-2019 12:39

Miss Croston was straight out of teacher training college(that would be 1960/61...I was in my third year and she was our form teacher)

taddy 10-08-2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1230217)
Miss Croston was straight out of teacher training college(that would be 1960/61...I was in my third year and she was our form teacher)

Two more teachers have come to mind, Mr Wade, who (I think),taught Geography and Mr (Norman), Booth who was our Wood Butchering Teacher. To give the man his due, he did teach me how to make a splended guitar. He also taught John Duckworth how to build a full size canoe, both couldn't have been an easy task whilst having to keep a class under control who mainly just wanted to lark about.
Your's as ever Taddy

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2019 12:01

Do you know Taddy, I was racking my brains to remember Mr Booths name....I could see his face and I knew his surname began with a B...but could I remember what it was??
No I could not.

I remember Mr Wade too.

I think he also taught science too....I recall him giving Roy Wallace a taste of the slipper for playing with the gas taps in the science room.

That said, the science taught to us is probably covered by Junior school children now...it was very basic.

taddy 10-08-2019 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1230236)
Do you know Taddy, I was racking my brains to remember Mr Booths name....I could see his face and I knew his surname began with a B...but could I remember what it was??
No I could not.

I remember Mr Wade too.

I think he also taught science too....I recall him giving Roy Wallace a taste of the slipper for playing with the gas taps in the science room.

That said, the science taught to us is probably covered by Junior school children now...it was very basic.

I cannot remember Mr Wade teaching science but then again I could and maybe very wrong, as for the slipper, that may have been the tool of correction for the girls but both Mr Wade and Mr Suthers used a six inch piece of Vee belting on the lads. (ouch).
But it did us no harm and I never did hold a grudge.
Your's Taddy.

taddy 10-08-2019 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1230244)
I cannot remember Mr Wade teaching science but then again I could and maybe very wrong, as for the slipper, that may have been the tool of correction for the girls but both Mr Wade and Mr Suthers used a six inch piece of Vee belting on the lads. (ouch).
But it did us no harm and I never did hold a grudge.
Your's Taddy.

In fact I can remember Mr Wade asking the class for a name to christen his mode of punishment, when I said how about "Percy Wader", he was so taken by my answer, that he gave me a couple of house points,( at least I think thats what they called them).

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2019 19:22

Yes it was his tool of correction....I cannot recall it being different for the girls...in fact, I can't remember any girl getting punished by him

I remember Mr Suthers giving out the cane(though I guess it could have been Vee belt).
I know he was a dead eye with a peice of chalk...or if he was really irritated with you....a wooden backed black board duster.
He scared tHe bejasus out of me...and I always though he looked a lot like King George(the queens father)...must have been the beard...parted in the middle.

Margaret Pilkington 10-08-2019 19:26

Yes they were house points and it was ten you needed to get on the Honours board...but you only needed four minuses to get on the dishonour list.

I think the awarding of minus house points was a way that Mr Allen tried to reduce the physical punishments so beloved by teachers of our era.

taddy 10-08-2019 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1230246)
Yes it was his tool of correction....I cannot recall it being different for the girls...in fact, I can't remember any girl getting punished by him

I remember Mr Suthers giving out the cane(though I guess it could have been Vee belt).
I know he was a dead eye with a peice of chalk...or if he was really irritated with you....a wooden backed black board duster.
He scared tHe bejasus out of me...and I always though he looked a lot like King George(the queens father)...must have been the beard...parted in the middle.

If only the snowflakes of today were tought the same way that we were, this country would not be as ankle deep in the bull manure as we are now.

taddy 10-08-2019 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1230248)
If only the snowflakes of today were tought the same way that we were, this country would not be as ankle deep in the bull manure as we are now.

And that, as the two Ronnies used to say; is "Goodnight from me and Goodnight from him".

Gerry van den Oever 01-03-2021 16:50

Hi i also went to Woodnook with Colin he lived in Ormerod St. and i lived in Garbett st. Micheal Pettifer went to Canada he died a few years ago i used to contact him on Skype John Davies also died recently two more mates of Colin were Jeff and Granvill Ball they also lived in Ormerod st. next door to the chippy, besides going to school together we all spent many happy hours in Priestly Clough , Black rock and Bolough park, 65years have gone by i am now 78 and it seems i have outlived nearly all of my school time mates .

Gerry van den Oever 01-03-2021 16:57

Mr.Suthers was also very quick to use an old Plimsol and if you missed vaulting the horse then you,d get it across you backside , his favorite drill was having us run out in the yard when it was frosty weather in just our gym shorts .