Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2012, 19:35   #16
God Member

Re: 5 Albion Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Surely, Animal Magic was the store built as part of the "new" old fish market - ie the one built circa 1962. The one shown in the picture is the "old" old fish market from the 1950's.
You have put a glimmer of doubt in my mind, but I became a housewife in 1961 and that 1950s photo looks as I remember it from early 60s.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2012, 19:50   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You have put a glimmer of doubt in my mind, but I became a housewife in 1961 and that 1950s photo looks as I remember it from early 60s.
The "new" fishmarket was in the same place as the "old" one and was a similar shape to it, but more modern-looking. It replaced it in 1962 at the same time as the concrete "umbrella" market was opened.
Old 18-07-2012, 21:20   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
interesting pic but where was it located
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Behind the Town Hall.
My best description is just behind were Cash Converter is now, running parallel to the side of the Market Hall, Think it finished round were the Middle door to the market hall still is.
Old 19-07-2012, 10:56   #19

Quote:
Hello Steve and welcome. Can't help you with Albion Yard but I do recognise the name Tony Marsden. My grandad Bert Creasey ran the family fish business, I Creasey, on the fish market all his life until the end of the fifties. I remember seeing Tony's name but can't put a face to him sadly. You might find the attached pic of the fish market in the fifties interesting. Our stall was at the far end near the Town Hall and I remember going down on Good Friday with my grandad's dinner in a basket as he had to work on that day of course being fish.

Hope you enjoy Accyweb
Yep, I remember it well from the pic, Tony Marsden would've had his stall in the middle. He never learnt to drive and would go to Fleetwood to buy his fish, twice weekly as I recall, with another stall holder, Billy Bramwell.
Steve51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
The Albion yard is at the back of the Albion pub Whalley road Clayton,as children we used to store bonfire wood in a tunnel under the pub which is quite a large building at the back.I can't be sure but I think there was a doorway under the tunnel which may have led to a house which was part of the pub. If you live local you could always have a look down. Look on Google Map it shows the yard but not in enough detail.
I live in France, so not exactly local. Thanks for pin pointing the location.
Old 19-07-2012, 11:27   #21
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve51 View Post
I live in France, so not exactly local. Thanks for pin pointing the location.
Look at Re Information about Clayton, Post 96 and follow the instructions about Google you can see an outline on the shop wall where the roof and chimney stack have been,that could have been the house's in Albion yard.
These days with Google it's as easy to see from your laptop as visiting the place can be.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 13:54   #22
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve51 View Post
Yep, I remember it well from the pic, Tony Marsden would've had his stall in the middle. He never learnt to drive and would go to Fleetwood to buy his fish, twice weekly as I recall, with another stall holder, Billy Bramwell.
Glad you liked the pic Steve. Very evocative isn't it when you've known it. I remember my grandad going to Fleetwood and bringing us back the odd treat that he didn't sell on the stall, like langoustines, called crayfish then! Billy Bramwell is another name I remember. My grandad had two coleagues, Norman Bartholomew and Sam Curry, who took over our stall when he retired.
Old 19-07-2012, 15:03   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My best description is just behind were Cash Converter is now, running parallel to the side of the Market Hall, Think it finished round were the Middle door to the market hall still is.
Think you are spot on with that Cashy. The tripe stalls (one was Southworth's), wooden huts on iron wheels were to the right, at right angles I think.
The wooden structure to the left was, I seem to remember, pet food and equipment - but it is a long time ago
Old 19-07-2012, 16:29   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Think you are spot on with that Cashy. The tripe stalls (one was Southworth's), wooden huts on iron wheels were to the right, at right angles I think.
The wooden structure to the left was, I seem to remember, pet food and equipment - but it is a long time ago
Oh yes the tripe stalls - and there was also shellfish - crabs and winkles etc - but that may have been a bit later.
Old 19-07-2012, 18:04   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Shouldn't that be "fishwife"?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 12:41   #26

Quote:
Glad you liked the pic Steve. Very evocative isn't it when you've known it. I remember my grandad going to Fleetwood and bringing us back the odd treat that he didn't sell on the stall, like langoustines, called crayfish then! Billy Bramwell is another name I remember. My grandad had two coleagues, Norman Bartholomew and Sam Curry, who took over our stall when he retired.
I remember the name Sam Curry.
My Mother was born in 1920 and worked for the Co-op as a pay clerk and was also involved in working out customer's divi.
Old 16-12-2016, 21:55   #27
Full Member+

Hello all, relatively new to this and enjoy looking through old postings and adding my bit of info. Re. the old, old fish market the name Tommy Sarsfield comes to mind, I think he also had a fish shop on Blackburn Rd at the right hand side of Platts club (old labour club I think it was then.)
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..