Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Help our lady notre dame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/help-our-lady-notre-dame-56889.html)

RAICHANN 19-02-2011 15:21

Help our lady notre dame

Hello i am looking for a convent our lady of Notre Dame i have a lady in my care she is one hundred years old she speaks fondly of her time in Accrington we live in yorkshire so i have not got a clue if it is still there.Sara Margaret has some wonderful pics of her time there nuns children ect where she boarded she went on to teach and also played in the Philomonic she plays the cello she was born in Blackburn in 1910 hope some one remembers the co:)nvent Many Thanks

anzac 19-02-2011 15:42

Re: Help our lady notre dame

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAICHANN (Post 885127)
Hello i am looking for a convent our lady of Notre Dame i have a lady in my care she is one hundred years old she speaks fondly of her time in Accrington we live in yorkshire so i have not got a clue if it is still there.Sara Margaret has some wonderful pics of her time there nuns children ect where she boarded she went on to teach and also played in the Philomonic she plays the cello she was born in Blackburn in 1910 hope some one remembers the co:)nvent Many Thanks

There was a Notre Dame in Blackburn

BLACKBURN PAST: Notre Dame Convent - Whalley New Road / Cob Wall

Mariam82 19-02-2011 16:12

There was a Paddock House convent in accrington but I am not sure
which order of nuns.

regards
Maria

jelly baby 19-02-2011 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariam82 (Post 885167)
There was a Paddock House convent in accrington but I am not sure
which order of nuns.

regards
Maria

The order was the Sisters of Mercy. Not that they showed much!

Margaret Pilkington 19-02-2011 19:29

The only Notre Dame I know of in the area was at Blackburn....and if this lady was born in Blackburn as you say, then it is most likely to be the place where she was a boarder.

Margaret Pilkington 19-02-2011 19:33

Apparently this convent was taking boarders up to 1951, when it became Notre Dame Grammar School.

forceten 19-02-2011 19:59

I have sent you a PM, I went to Notre Dame myself, and I have sent via PM a link to a website that a former pupil set up, and it has memories on there from past pupils, and photos of the lovely chapel.

I hope it brings a smile to the ladies face :)

jaysay 20-02-2011 09:32

Did they ever have boarders at Paddock House

JCB 20-02-2011 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 885255)
Did they ever have boarders at Paddock House

Yes , Jaysay , but they were few and far between , and in the earlier days of the school .

forceten 20-02-2011 21:15

I've had a reply from the thread starter to thank me for the link I sent via pm. It has been sent to the ladies family, and they are going to submit her memories and photos to the site as well :)

Margaret Pilkington 20-02-2011 21:25

That is really good Forceten........I am sure she will have some very interesting memories to add and that you have helped her....and her family.

cashman 20-02-2011 21:51

Nice one Forceten.:);)

jenks 29-03-2017 22:03

I attended Paddock House convent school from 1946 - 1950 and remember Sheila Baxter, Rhona Birtwistle and others. Anyone else there at that time? Does the school still exist? Any information would be helpful, thank you, June (Phillips - Whitby)

JCB 30-03-2017 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenks (Post 1191212)
I attended Paddock House convent school from 1946 - 1950 and remember Sheila Baxter, Rhona Birtwistle and others. Anyone else there at that time? Does the school still exist? Any information would be helpful, thank you, June (Phillips - Whitby)

Paddock House Convent Grammar School amalgamated with Holy Family Secondary Modern School to become Mount Carmel Comprehensive School .

Initially Mount Carmel was on two sites , the Paddock House site and the Holy Family site .

When the building in Fern Gore was enlarged Mount Carmel became a single site school .

The buildings of the old Paddock House School were demolished .

The Paddock House Convent continued for a number of years until the nuns left to work elsewhere .

The Convent was demolished .

There is housing now on the sites of the school and the convent .

jenks 02-04-2017 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1191225)
Paddock House Convent Grammar School amalgamated with Holy Family Secondary Modern School to become Mount Carmel Comprehensive School .

Initially Mount Carmel was on two sites , the Paddock House site and the Holy Family site .

When the building in Fern Gore was enlarged Mount Carmel became a single site school .

The buildings of the old Paddock House School were demolished .

The Paddock House Convent continued for a number of years until the nuns left to work elsewhere .

The Convent was demolished .

There is housing now on the sites of the school and the convent .

Thank you so much for this information, it saves me a long journey only to find out that my lovely old school has been demolished.