Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Family research (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/family-research-5920.html)

carole 11-10-2004 16:11

Family research

I know this is a long shot but here goes....I am currently researching my family and wondered if anyone knew anything about them. The name is Rishton (some say Rushton) and they lived at Biggins Bedlam Green Haworth, for many years, until my grandmother Florence Rishton (nee Davenport) died in 1947. My father was William, and his siblings were Walter, Edward, Annie,& Nellie. Their father was Thomas Rishton. They all went to Green Haworth School.
For many years Walter used to collect glasses in the Bridge on Church St, and was quite a local character.
If any one has any info about the Rishtons or the Davenports, please let me know. I can give further info if required.
Regards Carole

Jackiegibbo 05-09-2008 14:05

Re: Family research

I currently own Biggins Farm, and wondered if you have any information on it or photos etc? I'm currently researching the place, so if we have any info to share - great!

janet 06-09-2008 10:34

Did you buy Biggins from the Addison family? I'm related to them.

Bob Dobson 07-09-2008 09:46

In the last week I have been talking family history and the Bridge pub, Church st came into the story. I was helped by Mrs Susan Johnson,(Mayoress) landlady of the Peel Park, whose family had the Bridge. Might be worth speaking with her.Then there's the Bridge in Church.

carole 07-09-2008 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackiegibbo (Post 627306)
I currently own Biggins Farm, and wondered if you have any information on it or photos etc? I'm currently researching the place, so if we have any info to share - great!

Sorry, I have no info re Biggins farm. You might get some at the local studies library.
Carole

Jackiegibbo 09-09-2008 15:20

Hi, no I bought the farm from the Davies', who were there since 1982, I believe. Do you have any info on the place, ie, did it have a cellar (it used to be the Colliers Arms, so I assume it did!), or any pics? Thanks, Jackie

Retlaw 09-09-2008 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackiegibbo (Post 629089)
Hi, no I bought the farm from the Davies', who were there since 1982, I believe. Do you have any info on the place, ie, did it have a cellar (it used to be the Colliers Arms, so I assume it did!), or any pics? Thanks, Jackie

In the mid 1800's, the landlady of the Colliers Arms was Mary Haworth.

I remember a house fire on that row of cottages, think it was in the 1970's. The family in the house at the time had something to do with the garage and workshop at the top of Willows Lane.

Retlaw

carole 09-09-2008 17:37

Lynch Bros. garage was at the top of Willows Lane on the right just before the bend in the road.

bagpuss1 10-10-2008 13:01

Hi,

I'm doing some family history searching - and my guys the Marsdens have links to both Bedlam, and Green Haworth - but I know v little more than names right now. I'd be intereseted in anything anyone knows.... the time frame is 1810 - 1825

Retlaw 10-10-2008 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagpuss1 (Post 639917)
Hi,

I'm doing some family history searching - and my guys the Marsdens have links to both Bedlam, and Green Haworth - but I know v little more than names right now. I'd be intereseted in anything anyone knows.... the time frame is 1810 - 1825

In the 1841 census there are three distinct places, Biggins, Bedlam and Moorgate, there is a hard back indexed copy of the 1841 census in Accrington Library.
The 1828 survey shows it as part of Rothwells.
Tenants of Cottages are show as
(1) John Ramsbottom
(2) Sunday School.
(3) Joseph Cunliffe.
(4) Jonathan Melody
(5) Jonathan Tomlinson
(6) Clogging Shop
(7) Daniel Pickup

The 1841 Census only shows two family's called Marsden
one is in Swan St, which became Adelaide St.

The other is in Spring Gardens which became Abbey St.
Not the one down by the police station.

Retlaw

bagpuss1 20-10-2008 12:17

Retlaw - thanks - I think my time frame is a little earlier than the 1841 census - I've been looking at baptism records from the Church in Accy, which shows a James Marsden (parents from Green Haworth) baptised in 1816. I'm not 100% that this is the right relative - but if it is, then it is he who by 1841 is in Swan Street.

Jackiegibbo 06-11-2009 13:36

Hello Janet, sorry to bother you, but I ahve been looking on the Common Land register and have come up with the name Henry Addison, 4 Tower Castle, Combwich, Bridgewater, somerset. Is this one of your relatives? I could do with a little help on my research, and would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you. Jackie

janet 07-11-2009 08:04

pm sent

Jackiegibbo 18-02-2010 15:12

Hi there!
I've also been looking into the history of Biggins Farm, and I'm sure on my deeds somewhere, the name James Marsden is mentioned. I will check it out and let you know.

Regards,
Jackie

waynefitz 19-12-2011 15:47

my great grand father lived at biggins Farm, my mother grew up there, The addison family. I do not really know where Biggins farm is