Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Abraham Shuttleworth (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/abraham-shuttleworth-70257.html)

Bob Dobson 25-10-2018 10:48

Abraham Shuttleworth

Shock Horror !!!! I've discovered that my maternal grandma's grandfather, Abraham Shuttleworth, spent the last 30yrs of his life (1861-91) as a patient in Lancaster Asylum. I've seen some records held in the Lancashire Archives but want to learn more about him and the family. I don't as yet know where the family lived, but suspect it would be in Woodnook. Anyone got Shuttleworths in their family tree?

dotti34 27-10-2018 05:32

Re: Abraham Shuttleworth

Oh, Bob, that poor man. I shudder to think about the treatment he would have received (or lack of it, though this may have been the best alternative – not to have any as the treatment was nothing short of barbaric). 30 years is a long time to be in such an institution but it could have been that he might have had some sort of breakdown, or an illness they didn’t understand at that time, and there wasn’t anywhere for him to go except for the asylum and then he was just left there and forgotten. Knowledge and understanding of any sort of mental illness was very limited in those days, and families didn't talk about it. So sad.

Have you found out exactly what the reason was for him being a patient there? Hope you get some information about the Shuttleworth family.

Bob Dobson 27-10-2018 08:26

No further information received as yet. The admission register for 1861 is not available, Another register describes him as a maniac, but it is clear that the term did not mean quite what it now does. It was one of the milder forms of illness. I am looking into whether he was admitted from home or if he had spent time in the Haslingden workhouse before being sent to Lancaster.

dotti34 27-10-2018 08:43

Did your Abraham Shuttleworth marry Mary Melling in 1850? No relation to my lot but I have done a bit of searching (something I enjoy doing) and found the births of their children, if this is the right family. You probably have this information anyway.

dotti34 29-10-2018 06:54

If this is your ancestor, Bob, I do have a copy of the 1861 Census relating to him and his family and if it is the same man it must have been taken just before he was admitted to the asylum. I will email you anyway.

Bob Dobson 29-10-2018 09:41

Thanks dotti - yes this is the chap. Life must have been hell for a mother with four children and no husband's wage coming in . I want to find time to search for Abe in the Lancashire newspapers. , also to see if he had been in the Haslingden workhouse..

Atarah 16-12-2018 10:28

Could he be mentioned on here Bob? 1881 Census: Residents of Haslingden Union Workhouse

Bob Dobson 16-12-2018 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1220711)
Could he be mentioned on here Bob? 1881 Census: Residents of Haslingden Union Workhouse

I'll have a look at this, but it is unlikely, seeing as he had been in Lancaster for 20yrs by 1881. My grandma had a fear of the workhouse. I think her brother had been a resident for some time.