Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2015, 00:38   #1

Acccrington Newspaper Archives

I am seeking a newspaper article from 1964. I have checked the British Newspaper Archive but have not come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how to look online for any Accrington newspaper archives from around that time? Does anyone know if the Accrington library would have the archives and because I am in Australia do they know of any service where someone could look it up for me ?
Thanks in advance
seekinginfoonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2015, 08:25   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Acccrington Newspaper Archives

The library have copies of the old Observers. They are not on line. Drop a line to [email protected] You will need to give a date - or even a month. I have some too, but not from the 60s. Mine are from 1980s.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:36   #3
Full Member+

darn I was hoping you were going to say we could get them online
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 17:10   #4

Im lookin to trace hazel stevens or familyfrom accrington
Jackie Taylor likes this.
alanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 17:20   #5

Ref hazel stevens she lived with me for six months but had a big drug and alcahol problem she told me her daghter was killed in a car crash in nov this year her daughter holly lives in acci somrwhere in a bit worrid about her any info please help thank you
Jackie Taylor likes this.
alanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 20:16   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
darn I was hoping you were going to say we could get them online
Angel. Have you any idea of the cost involved in digitising the Acc Observ & the Gazette.
I photoed all the WW1 articles in the Accy Observ from Aug 1914 to the end of 1919, I had to make a camera stand so that what I took was A4 size. Not the Observes in the back room now, but then ones held at County H.Q, It took me ages, then Blacburrn library lent me the Blackburn Times, and I did Chorley Times 1916, and Burnley 1916 Now I have 100's of pic filed by year and month, but they are not serachable, If I need some ones name I have to look for it. So the person asking for info about the Accy Observ need to be specific, just a vauge reference will get them nowhere, I can't think of any one not even the Library staff will take on such a task. Any query need as much info s the person has to get any results
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 06:32   #7

If you put a question on either Google or Yahoo you can sometimes be lucky and find the answer you are searching for. I'm not saying you will get a copy of the article itself in this instance but you might find some reference to it that possibly will be helpful.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 20:46   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinginfoonfamily View Post
I am seeking a newspaper article from 1964. I have checked the British Newspaper Archive but have not come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how to look online for any Accrington newspaper archives from around that time? Does anyone know if the Accrington library would have the archives and because I am in Australia do they know of any service where someone could look it up for me ?
Thanks in advance

I suggest that , having read the postings which have been made, you post another thread using the name of the person(s) sought as the heading, and giving more information., Have you asked the library ?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 17:15   #9
Junior Member+

I have access to the Accrington observer archives.
Let me know the article you require and any possible date range.
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 13:49   #10

Sherlock

Can you see if you can find an article in the archives around May and June 1987 relating to the death and funeral of a young lad by the name of Jason Carlton??

Can you also do likewise for a Gary Robinson around June 1980??

Anything you have please

Thanks

John
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29   #11
Senior Member+

Jason Carlton born 7-June-1975. Died September 1987 age 12. His mothers maiden name was Robinson. Possibly lived in Blackburn.

Gary Robert Robinson born 3-Jan-1965, died June 1980, his mothers maiden name was Edwards. He died in Accrington. There is a mention that he may have been born in Naples Italy? Hope this helps, this was from Ancestry.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 13:45   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bridge View Post
Sherlock

Can you see if you can find an article in the archives around May and June 1987 relating to the death and funeral of a young lad by the name of Jason Carlton??

Can you also do likewise for a Gary Robinson around June 1980??

Anything you have please

Thanks

John
I have the information you requested regarding Jason Carlton and Garry Robinson

let me have your postal address and I will send it on.
Old 11-04-2019, 14:26   #13
Junior Member+

hello john, not quite sure how this website works.
I have the information you requested. Let me have your
postal adds and I will send it on..
Old 12-04-2019, 09:00   #14

Interesting forum topic. Is there a website available to the general public, where one can find articles from the "Accrington Observer"?

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:12   #15
Beacon of light

I am not aware of one. If anyone does find that there is one then it would be good information to have.

I am a member of Ancestry and some newspaper articles relating to the person you are researching are available....(but only to the higher level subscribers....I think I am right when I say that)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, newspaper, observer, wedding

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..