Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By ossy kid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2015, 15:18   #1
Junior Member+

Accrington family History

Hi Everyone,

I trying to research my two lines of my family history my Tattersall side and my Chippendale side. My grandparents were Norman and Ethel Tattersall and Ethel's Maiden name was Chippendale . I never met my Grandfather but I know he had 2 possibly 3 brothers Percy, Jack and may be a Jim. Norman worked at Eubank the right up to his death in 1978. he was born in 1924 at 36 Claremont Road Accrington does anyone remember the family? Is anyone else related to this family? I know its a long shot. My grandmother at the police station in the 1980's she was born in 1922 at 134 Dowry Street Accrington she had a half sister called Majorie Lee again can anyone remember them? or has a connection.

I hope someone can help and many Thanks
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2015, 07:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington family History

Likely that your granny went to St John's with my dad from 48 Dowry. Drop a line to St John's school - they have the school registers and will look up names for you. Of course, they also might have gone to Peel Park School -or St Annes if they were rednecks. Did grandmother WORK at Police Station ? As what ? Accrington Library will have ratepayers and voters lists - [email protected]. My aunt lived in Dowry St and now lives within a stone's throw of 134 I will ask her. She has a phenomenal memory
swerve likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:59   #3
Junior Member+

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply I don't know what School My Nan went too, I think it was Peel Park. I went there briefly before we moved to Exeter in the 1980's and I have a vague memory of her saying she went there too but I could be fooling myself with that one .I will drop the school an email to see if they can help. My Nan worked in the Canteen in police station I don't know for how long but I am sure it was for a while as I remember walking her home from work and it was not far as she lived in Nuttall St.
Old 12-06-2015, 20:39   #4
Senior Member+

I will enquire amongst some old bobbies.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:17   #5
Senior Member+

O.K. Mr. Dobson, explain yourself, since when were people who went to st. Annes, rednecks? Be careful there are a few of out out there.
Bob Dobson likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 07:16   #6
Senior Member+

Hello swerve, I did a little checking last night and found your grandad Norman married Ethel Chippendale at Mercer methodists Clayton Le Moors in 1947. His parents were Joseph James Tattersall and Beatrice Hacking who were married in 1915 at Barnes Square Weslyan Meths Clayton Le Moors. Norman did have two brothers Percy born 1916 Acc. and James born 1928 Acc.
Your gt gt grandad was John Tattersall born 1867, he married Elizabeth Helen Mellelieu at Christ Church Acc. in 1885.
Your grandma Ethel Chippendale's parents were Arthur Chippendale and Dora Lee who were married in 1921 at Accrington Wesley Chapel on Abbey St Acc.
Hope this helps somewhat.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 08:03   #7
Junior Member+

Thanks Again Bob and Thank you Ozzy Kid,

I must get back up to Accrington to have a look around and see what's changed I have been for about 10 years and I was surprised to see that my Nan's old house is now a housing Association office in Nutttall Street .
Old 09-10-2015, 19:58   #8
Junior Member+

You're related to a friend I did some genealogical research for. This is what I came up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (90.8 KB, 31 views)
pete88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..