Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 15:39   #16
Junior Member+

Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer
No. had a look at it once. Not been back to the site.
Not too many fond memories from the high school I'm afraid!
Couldn't wait to get out!
Ditto - totally agree.
dewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2005, 19:36   #17
Junior Member+

just re reading all the high school posts, had a laugh at some of them! especially Mabel behind her back , What about Miss tomlinson, gym tacher and her little MG god I detested that woman, also does anyone remember when we got two younger male teachers? Mr Anderton and a blond guy who taught chemistry, also do you remember watching The grammar school rugby team especialy Brian Boyd? pam
Judith Addison likes this.
pam ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 18:17   #18
Junior Member+

Thanks for the info on friends united , found many people I knew Pam
pam ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 20:26   #19
MAW
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela A
Interested in anyone who attended the school during these years  I was Pam Barnes back then
I went to the High School from 1956 till 1961. Mabel Horne was the Head Mistress. I was then Marjorie Shorrock. Boy how I hated school.!

Sylvia Tomlinson was our PE teacher.

anyone out there who was there when I was.?
MAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 21:00   #20
MAW
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer
No. had a look at it once. Not been back to the site.
Not too many fond memories from the high school I'm afraid!
Couldn't wait to get out!

snap

the happiest days of my school life were the holidays and the best one was the day I left. ahhhhhh bliss
MAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 22:06   #21
Resting in Peace

Just missed ya' left 1959 + 6 months.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 16:44   #22

Question Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

I also left in 1959, but that was after spending an additional year in the sixth form before going on to Uni. I wanted to take German and needed the extra time to bring it up to scratch. I do remember Miss Mottershead - a real eccentric, but a good teacher - I am very grateful to her. The dreaded Mabel is another story. I actually had to have a fight with her before she would let me take the courses I wanted. She was a bully - but I don't give in to bullies!

Can't say it was my favourite time of my life, but on the other hand I have a lot to thank the school for. I wouldn't be where I am now without the education I got there. I am just sorry that I have lost touch with all the people I knew at school, even those who were at the time my "best friends".

I've lived "down South" for most of my adult life now, but I still think of Accy as my "home town".

Anyone remember me?

Patricia "Pat" Franks
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 15:54   #23

Post Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

I was there from 1961 to 1966. I remember the joy of getting a 'Commendation' and the fear woe betide you got a 'Disorder Mark'. Mademoiselle Croix taught me French for most of my time there, Mr Mortimer (Science) had us (3T) as his first class as form master, poor chap, how we made him blush. There was Mr Reeves (latin) Mr Anderton (maths) and Mr Bloom (science) Mrs Fox (history) Miss Scotson (history) Mrs Taylor and Miss Tomlinson (P.E.) Miss Brown (Deputy Head) Miss Redmayne (R.E.) I'll have to have a think re the rest of them! There was a lovely red headed lady that taught Art and a tiny woman that was the music teacher.Other names I remember are Miss Melody, Mrs Riley. And of course there was the School Hymn.. 'Let us now praise famous men'.. I can still remember the words and tune (?? or lack of), how we could only wear gymslips and thick black stockings til the 3rd year , at which time we could wear flesh coloured stockings too (aka american tan ! ), we had winter and summer uniforms and at the Christmas party we could dress up in 'normal ' clothes. We were told off for wearing nail polish and back combing our hair was frowned on too. We could buy biscuits in the corridor at break time, eat pretty decent school dinners, and we raised money to train a Guide Dog for the Blind which we named 'Penny'. ..... what a trip down memory lane !!!
Judith Addison likes this.
ChrissieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 16:57   #24
Resident Waffler

I had Miss Melody for geography and Mrs Riley for maths and Physics. She hated geometry! So I always used to pick geometry questions when we had a choice. At one stage we had Miss Melody for music because we were short of a music teacher.

Aaaw poor old Mr. Mortimer. I remember him going bright red right round to the back of his neck at times.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 18:59   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
She sounds like the female equivalent of Ben Johnson!
Thank god they didn't breed
maxthecollie likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 19:33   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieB View Post
There was a lovely red headed lady that taught Art and a tiny woman that was the music teacher.
The art teacher was Miss/Mrs Goodey and the music teacher Miss Kay .. Chrissie ,,hope you still around from the date in your original post .. lol

Wonder if they ever were true spinsters if you know what I mean ..

Eric: You a vivid imagination .. Ben/Mabel .... nah .. she must have been at least a foot taller than him ..
Old 03-11-2007, 22:21   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

Miss Kay, who taught music at AHS, was my piano teacher when I was 7 to 10 years old. She lived in West End, not far from me, and she was still unmarried when I got married in 1962.
Old 14-11-2007, 21:58   #28
God Member

I don't know if it's only me, but does anyone ever wonder if all "misses" ever got laid?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 22:05   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't know if it's only me, but does anyone ever wonder if all "misses" ever got laid?
Eric !!! .. you wicked. That was what I was hinting at in my last post .. but put it in a more discrete way ..
Old 14-11-2007, 22:21   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
i know 1 that did, but not from the high school.

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..