Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 22:35   #46
Senior Member+

Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I know 3 of them.
Is that in the Biblical sense Bob
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2013, 19:09   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I know 3 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Is that in the Biblical sense Bob
That's cruel, Barry. Bob was always very discerning in his choice of ladies.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 22:14   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
That's cruel, Barry. Bob was always very discerning in his choice of ladies.
"Cruel" - Moi?
Old 13-02-2013, 00:19   #49
Senior Member+

WAS always ? Still is.!!"!
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 00:43   #50

Accrington High School for Girls opened on 8th September 1939 - the opening was delayed by a week because of the outbreak of the Second World War. I have opened a thread on the AHS Facebook page. I started at the school in September 1960 - it was the 21st birthday of the school - there were a lot of special events. Please contact me if you would be interested in a 75th anniversary reunion in September 2014.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:16   #51
Senior Member+

Judith, are you aware that Jean (Burton) ?? , who is not a computer user, organises a 5-year reunion for the girls of '53, so it should be this year. Last time's was held in the Peel Park. Email or PM me. I may have emailed you recently and due to a glitch any replies have been lost.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:15   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I'm on the Accrington High School Facebook page and have recently posted that it will be the 75th anniversary of the opening of the school on 8th September 2014. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a "whole school" reunion such as the 50-year one held in 1989? Please let me know if you would be interested - Accrington High School only, not Moorhead High School - as long as you started when it was still AHS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I'm a bit lost here Judith - if the 50th anniversary was in 1989 did that mean the school opened in 1939? I thought it was mid-30s. Also, my sister who was born in 1950, cut the cake along with the head girl for the 25th anniversary as she was the youngest girl in the school, would probably have been ten years old, in Sept 1960.

I was there 1957-1964, no bad memories, all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
Accrington High School for Girls opened on 8th September 1939 - the opening was delayed by a week because of the outbreak of the Second World War. I have opened a thread on the AHS Facebook page. I started at the school in September 1960 - it was the 21st birthday of the school - there were a lot of special events. Please contact me if you would be interested in a 75th anniversary reunion in September 2014.
Ah I get it now - my little grey cells have taken a wander...

Must have been the 21st anniversary when my sis cut the cake - suppose it was the first big one they could celebrate. You started that year - do you remember the cake cutting? Jen was so small she had to stand on a chair to be the same height as the head girl and Miss Horne so they could all hold the knife for the photo.
Old 20-02-2013, 01:34   #53

I remember the cake cutting very well! Yes, it was the 21st anniversary. Jennifer was one of the girls who started at 10 years old. Miss Horne came round the 1st year class rooms measuring to find the smallest girl. In 1H it was between me and Marie Chadwick - Marie was slightly smaller. Jennifer was in 1T. I have had three reunions for our year. Jennifer has been to one or two. The first time she came she brought the newspaper cuttings of her cutting the cake. She had also photocopied the long scroll photograph of the whole school from 1965. She pinned it up on the wall in the "Oaklea" function room. Jennifer and Mrs. Riley added most of the names.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:18   #54

Have you joined the Accrington High School page on Facebook ?

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..