Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003, 23:07   #1

Post accrington High School 1960-1966

Interested in anyone who attended the school during these years  I was Pam Barnes back then
Pamela A is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2003, 14:26   #2
Resting in Peace

Post Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

you could go to www.friendsreunited.co.uk
this is a site of schools in england then look up the year
you left .
just follow the search ie county a list of letters will come up at the top just click on A and find the school then the year you where there .
the wife did this and what a shock she got all those memories came back.
there is also some pics and you can put your info on for others too.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:39   #3
Senior Member+

Love friends reunited.Has helped me get in touch with a lot of people form way back
Old 09-09-2003, 09:06   #4

tried friendsunited got in touch with a few school friends been great catching up, did anyone see the program on tv last night about the website?
tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 15:00   #5
Jo

I got in touch a couple of months ago with a guy I really fancied at school. Silly thing told me he always really liked me too, but was shy. He lives in London. Strange thing was, I had booked my hen party to London shortly before I got in touch with him. I told him and he offered to FINALLY take me out (before I was wed). So I had Friday and Satruday nights out with the girls and then Sunday he took me for a curry before I flew back on Monday. Cool eh? I finally got a date with him 15 years too late, but at least while I was still single!
NOTHING HAPPENED OF COURSE, but it as a very nice evening!
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 15:07   #6
Caz
God Member

Regarding Accrington high School:

Former Headmistress of the school (1952 - 1969) Mabel Horne has died recently at the age of 93, in Australia.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 23:13   #7

to cazzer thanks for the info on Miss Horne. I was scared to death of her back then poor woman probably didn't deserve it we had her for some French classes , my worst subject. anyhow thanks for the update Pam A
Old 09-09-2003, 23:18   #8
Caz
God Member

The same here Pamela! she was terryfying!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 09-09-2003, 23:32   #9

when were you at high school? also tried that friends united website says its for sale any idea ?
Old 09-09-2003, 23:39   #10
Caz
God Member

No. had a look at it once. Not been back to the site.
Not too many fond memories from the high school I'm afraid!
Couldn't wait to get out!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 20-09-2004, 14:17   #11

Question Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

I went to the High School, but it was before your time. I left in 1956! But I too remember Miss Horne and was very interested to hear news of her.

My main memory of her are that she always wore tweed, the fabric AND the perfume!!

It seemed to me that she tried very hard to be intimidating - and succeeded most of the time. She and I nearly had a stand-up/knock-down fight about my future studies. But I won out in the end, and am I glad I did. I just did not fancy life in a laboratory...

But I do remember she was very dedicated to the school. Possibly more so than to the individuals in it. Anyway, I hope she had a happy retirement. If she was in Australia, she probably did.

Anybody out there that was at school in my day?
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 21:30   #12
Resident Waffler

Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

I left in 1969. She terrified me too most of the time but I do recall one classic "incident" when I painted an easel pink and was sent to "see Miss Horne" which meant standing outside her door, having knocked, waiting for the light signal to change.

Standing there wondering what she might do was far worse than actually facing her. When I explained to her that Miss Hindle had sent me to see her because I painted my easel pink her response would have fitted well in "The Importance of Being Ernest" - "an easel?" as if painting anything else pink wouldn't have been anywhere near half as serious! She didn't do any more than give me a very fixed stare which would have defeated Paddington Bear. I think she was probably bewildered.

The easel painting was a moment of total madness on my part. I had been working on a painting of a pink box, some of my paint (as was normal) went over the edge of the paper onto the board, but I'd had a lot on the brush and some splashed onto the actual easel. Miss Hindle, in an uncharacteristically sarcastic moment saw the mess and said "Why don't you paint the whole easel pink?" - so I did. Well, at least I started to.........

Another memory of Miss Horne was being summoned to assist her one day "sign" letters to parents. This involved rubber stamping them all with a stamp which said "Mabel B Horne" in the form of her signature. I can still visualise the flow of it to this day.

Do you remember how she seemed top float down the corridors wearing her gown which fluttered out behind her and her "sensible" shoes clattering?
Judith Addison likes this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 10:03   #13
Super Moderator

She sounds like the female equivalent of Ben Johnson!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 12:16   #14
Senior Member+

accrington High School and Mabel's "Commendations"

Grief! Remember when you had done three good pieces of work i.e. 3 A's on a trot, or similar, and you were sent down to Mabel's office. You had to knock on the door and await her "come in" - I nearly wet myself on more than one occasion waiting to hear that voice boom through the door! You then went in, she studied your work, and then slapped the words "commendation" in big red lettering (with a rubber stamp) on your work! Wow! The thrill! The delight of getting one of those in your book! (sad, innit really)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 13:16   #15
Resident Waffler

Oh yes the thrill of Mabel's little stamp! I can't see that impressing anybody these days.

Funny how everyone called her Mabel behind her back but wouldn't have dared admit it to her face.

Are you sure it was "come in" and not "enter"? I remember even if the light was on you still weren't supposed to enter until commanded to do so.

Do you remember her opinion of a Lancashire accent? It was all very well to have one just so long as one never used it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..