Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 14:03   #1
Senior Member+

Alan Dempsey 1943-2013

I lost a school pal of mine this morning - Alan Dempsey died in the hospice. Somew months ago he was diagnosed with a brain tumour, discharged himself from hospital and began to plan for his fate. He told me that he had made his peace with his Maker and was prepared for what he knew was coming. He acted with great dignity and plenty of humour -0h that I have the strength to do that when my turn comes. Most of Alan's life after the Grammar School has been spent working in accounts offices and in recent years he has been hon.treas to at least four churches and the Grammar School Old Boys. He also worked for the Maundy Trust. Losing his wife many years ago was an enormous blow to Alan - he never recovered from it. He leaves a brother, Brian and a small family group, but lots of friends in the area. One of them, Barry Ingham, has been a tower of strength to Alan and was there in his hour of need.
No funeral arrangements yet known - it is unlikely to be arranged soon because of family absences. Watch the Telegraph & Observer for the announcement. Alan planned his funeral with his pal Rev Ernie Hall, the retired minister from Trinity Church - his eulogy is likely to raise laughter in the church.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2013, 14:16   #2
God Member

Re: Alan Dempsey 1943-2013

I remember 'Dizzy' Dempsey - sad news.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:08   #3
Beacon of light

I think that Alan's wife was a nurse tutor in the Blackburn group of hospitals.
She was a lovely lady. I remember her well.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:37   #4
I am Banned

Last saw Alan before last Christmas in The Peel Park as usual in the company of Barry, he told a smashing story about having to pick up the task of writing and sending Christmas cards after his wifes passing. He said that on his late wifes Christmas list against a good number was the annotation CC which puzzled him for many a while. It was only after cards started arriving from far and wide that the penny dropped.
CC stood for Cheap Cards.

A thoroughly nice chap. RIP
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:53   #5
Senior Member+

A Gentleman who will be missed by many - may he Rest in Peace.
Old 06-12-2013, 18:24   #6

I'll pass this sad news on to my sister, she too knew Alan.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44   #7
Senior Member+

FUneral arangements : Trinity (Christ) Church 2pm Monday 23rd December

Yes, his wife, an Irish lass, was a nurse. Full of life and fun. He loved to tell such tales. Onwe he told me was the his father had told him that he was conceived on the stairs in Buxton St. - " so you see, Bob - I am the son of the immaculate conception"
Old 07-12-2013, 13:57   #8
Senior Member+

Alan's wife's name was Eva. He never failed to put a notice in the Oberver on the anniversary of her death.....He has an elder brother, Brian, who worked at Nori al his life. I am unsure of Brian's family. Alan and Eva had no children.
Old 07-12-2013, 16:27   #9

Hi Alan's wife was called Ena and she was a lancashire girl although she had moved around a lot with her family when younger and even lived in the states for awhile.
starrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:26   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrg View Post
Hi Alan's wife was called Ena and she was a lancashire girl although she had moved around a lot with her family when younger and even lived in the states for awhile.
I remember her telling us about her experiences in the 'States'.
Are you by any chance related to Ena?......because if my memory serves me right, Ena's maiden name was Starr.
Old 07-12-2013, 17:44   #11

Yes I am her one of her four nephews on her side of the family. She was my dad's elder sister and I have very fond memories of her. Alan was a very brave man who I hope is now with her. He was probably my funniest uncle. Thanks to Mr Dobson for putting the date of the funeral in this thread.
Old 07-12-2013, 18:09   #12
Senior Member+

I wonder why I got her down as Irish. Wishful thinking on my part ? I always fancied an Irish nurse girlfriend.
Old 07-12-2013, 18:24   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I wonder why I got her down as Irish. Wishful thinking on my part ? I always fancied an Irish nurse girlfriend.
Never realised you had any taste
Old 07-12-2013, 19:26   #14

Bob,

I have tried to reply to your private message several times but not sure if it has worked. Let me know if you've got them, should have answered your questions.

Greg
Old 07-12-2013, 20:15   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrg View Post
Yes I am her one of her four nephews on her side of the family. She was my dad's elder sister and I have very fond memories of her. Alan was a very brave man who I hope is now with her. He was probably my funniest uncle. Thanks to Mr Dobson for putting the date of the funeral in this thread.
I was a student Nurse when Ena started as a tutor. she was funny but always managed to keep us unruly bunch in order and teach us what we needed to know. I remember her with great fondness.
As you say, they are together again now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..