Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 23:43   #76
Junior Member+

Re: Anyone Go to St. Christopher's C of E High?

I left in 77 i think so long ago lol. I remember Miss Brown the music teacher she would grab the boys by the ears but she was so short herself she would stand on a chair. I remember as well she knew how to chuck a piece of chalk across the room and hit her target.
lesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2012, 00:48   #77
Full Member+

Miss Brown always "seemed" so sweet.
Think I was a year above you Lesleyd
old age creeping in faster and faster
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 19:35   #78
Junior Member+

Anyone Go to St Christopher's 1969-1974?
I was in Bede my friends at the time were Susan Bailey, Christine Hindle, The Plumbley Twins, Elaine Preston Susan Pawson
Anniebee58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 23:52   #79
Senior Member+

I too went to Chrissies between 1964 and 1969. Mr Jolley head teacher, Neddy Riding woodwork, Mr Pilkington metalwork, Mrs Blezard music and Mrs Ilic English and a Mr Day maths who also had a good aim with the chalk. Have some very good times and some not so good. I believe I was in Dunstan form.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 15:39   #80
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Dobbie, you might remember Barry Jefferson, he was in our class at Central Prep School, he's on the photos.
Hi,

I went to St Christophers and left 69-70 I also went to Central Prep, remember Miss Kilshaw was the head and Miss Hackwood was deputy. When i was at St Chrisophers Mr Jolley was the head and Mrs Ormerod was there wasnt keen on her, Mr Day the maths teacher was great, but the school looks and is so different now.
lynxkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:49   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel 04 View Post
I left there in 1976
I left in 76 - what is your name. I was called Ann Jackson in those days....
Old 13-03-2013, 02:03   #82
Full Member+

Back then my last name was Kennedy
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:40   #83
Junior Member+

Anyone Go to St. Christopher's C of E High?

Hi,

I went to St Chris's but left in 72 which is before your time.

Just for a laugh . . . I nearly killed Mr Gibson ( PE teacher ) when I set what was to become the town javelin record . . Which stood for twenty to thirty years I was once told. Yep . . When Gibson stood at the other end of the school field and said "throw it . . try to hit me " . . I bloody chucked it aiming for his head ! It worked . . Got the record and Gibson was always nice to me after that.

It is quite amazing that so many old Accringtonians highly value their youth in Accy . . Nice to read so many good stories from so many down to earth people who to this day . . Display no airs and graces.

I suppose it's accurate to reflect and say that "we were one of the last generations who were allowed to enjoy our youth " happy about that I must say.

If anyone else from Chris's is out there . . Send me a message sometime. Cheers . .
WilliamHurtley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 15:11   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
Hi Jaysay
I was also one of the first pupils to go to St Christophers i was in Mr Ridings form and cutherbert house I remember Mrs Livesey needlework teacher Mrs Richards Geography Mr Blackburn Maths and English I was also in the school choir on opening day puils in my class you might know Fred Cliffe, Martin Hale, jim wigglesworth, Mr Day's voice you could hear all round the school Mr Rushton Art would like to hear from you.
Nice to see Mr Riding mentioned on this website, but I'm sad to let you know that Mr Riding passed away (in his sleep) on Boxing Day 2013 at the age of 94.
Chaucers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 15:15   #85

And just out of interest, following Outback Ozzy's post on 28-11-12, can anyone tell me how mr Riding got the nickname "Neddy"? I'm told it was because he used to take give one of his daughters a piggy back when out on the youth hostelling trips and Duke of Edinburgh long walks. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Chaucers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 22:31   #86
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucers View Post
And just out of interest, following Outback Ozzy's post on 28-11-12, can anyone tell me how mr Riding got the nickname "Neddy"? I'm told it was because he used to take give one of his daughters a piggy back when out on the youth hostelling trips and Duke of Edinburgh long walks. Any suggestions? Thanks.
He got the name Neddy because his name was Riding. We started calling him Riding on a Donkey. Then he became Neddy as in an old horse.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 14:17   #87
Junior Member+

I went to St Christophers from 1970 - 75 and loved every minute of it! Mr Jolley`s was the headmaster, Mr Walker deputy, and Mrs Ormerod headmistress. These are the teachers I recall when I started there, room 1 Mr Otter, room 2 Mrs Ilic, Room 3 was the RE teacher Mr ? cant recall, room 4 Miss Kenyon/Miss Cunningham, Room 5 Miss Brown, Room 6 Mr Stanley, Room 7 Mrs Ginn, Room 8 think was Mr Winkley, Room 9 Mr Williams maths, room 10 Mr Green, room 11 Miss Barnes, room 12 Domestic science teacher Mrs P? cant recall, room 13 Mr Riding, Room 14 Mr Lowe room 15 Mrs Livesey 16 Mr Williams science, room 17 Mr Phillips, room 18 Mr Manning, room 19 Mr Bradshaw, room 20 Mr Day, room 21 the science teach with the pump with a name on so if he hit one of the lads the name was imprinted on his backside! ?? Room 23 Mrs Wilson, there was also Mr Gibson, Mrs Parkinson, another female games teacher with dark hair Miss ? The Cocker building was opened just in time for our last year, we had a prefects room with a radio gram in it as a privilege! Used to listen to Tony Blackburn during breaks! My best friend was Susan Whalley and she was head girl. I still keep in touch with friends from school and have great memories of my time there. Jed Heath was in the year above me and I remember he got expelled on his last day for hanging a pair of knickers on cross on the stage - as Mr Jollies walked down the aisle of the hall for assembly the curtains opened to display the offending underwear - he was furious and ordered the curtains closed! This was one of Jeds many claims to fame!
holtsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 15:21   #88
God Member

I was there from 72 to 77, think I can fill in the gaps of teacher's names - the DS teacher was Mrs.Pope, the science teacher with the pump I think was Mr.Booth & if I remember rightly the other PE teacher was Mrs. McLean
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 18:44   #89
Junior Member+

I was there, same year as Holsign, I remember Susan Whalley and Sharon Hargreaves. I have been in touch with Maggie Clough on facebook. I was always getting in trouble off Mrs ormerod for being late back to school after going out at lunch time to feed my horse up near Ossy dairy, usually with Julie Whittham. Anyone remember Dorothea Zebrousky? Ah ah this is bringing back some memories lol
kathk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 13:01   #90
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathk View Post
I was there, same year as Holsign, I remember Susan Whalley and Sharon Hargreaves. I have been in touch with Maggie Clough on facebook. I was always getting in trouble off Mrs ormerod for being late back to school after going out at lunch time to feed my horse up near Ossy dairy, usually with Julie Whittham. Anyone remember Dorothea Zebrousky? Ah ah this is bringing back some memories lol
I remember Dorothea and all the other names you mentioned - what is your name? I`m Lorna - Smith that was
holtsign is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..