Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2015, 13:02   #91
Junior Member+

Re: Anyone Go to St. Christopher's C of E High?

Yes you`re right, I have probably missed some out but they are the ones I can pull to mind Accy Mad
Mog likes this.
holtsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2015, 13:04   #92
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathk View Post
I was there, same year as Holsign, I remember Susan Whalley and Sharon Hargreaves. I have been in touch with Maggie Clough on facebook. I was always getting in trouble off Mrs ormerod for being late back to school after going out at lunch time to feed my horse up near Ossy dairy, usually with Julie Whittham. Anyone remember Dorothea Zebrousky? Ah ah this is bringing back some memories lol
What is your name? The only Kath I can recall was Kathryn James from Church Kirk?
Old 18-06-2015, 13:07   #93
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebee58 View Post
Anyone Go to St Christopher's 1969-1974?
I was in Bede my friends at the time were Susan Bailey, Christine Hindle, The Plumbley Twins, Elaine Preston Susan Pawson
I remember most of those girls, you were in the year above me, my old schoolfriend who was Susan Whalley then is still in touch with Susan Pawson - what is your name I may remember you?
Old 12-05-2016, 19:08   #94
Junior Member+

I went there from 1979 -1984. Mr Jollys was the headmaster when I joined and Mr Roberts when I left.

I remember getting a rollicking from Mrs Ormerod (dep head) for rolling over the waistband of my skirt to make it shorter. She used to make us kneel on the floor and if our skirt didn't touch the floor we were in trouble.

Mr Manning and Mr Graves taught art both were so patient.

Mr Bielby - maths. He was so feared by the kids he made the child catcher in chatty chatty bang bang look like Pudsey bear.

I remember he never turned up to any of the parents evenings because he'd get lynched by the angry parents he was a crack shot with a board duster and a piece of chalk and would slam the desk lid down on your hands if you were rummaging around inside it when he was talking.

Mr Leaver was my maths teacher. Awwww bless him!
He used to carry a sized 12 white plimsole around with him with a sad face drawn on the sole in yellow chalk. If you got in trouble he walloped you on the backside with it and you had to walk round with a sad face on your arse. He was a lovely patient bloke though. I think I only saw him lose it once in 5 years.

Mrs Pope the cookery teacher. One time she was off sick and we were supposed to be making fairy cakes. Miss Martin stood in for her and told us we had to read quietly. We moaned so much she eventually gave in and let us make the fairy cakes giving us free rein of the food colours and flavours from Mrs Popes stock cupboard. BIG MISTAKE!

I made green Orange flavoured cakes with purple mint icing. They were revolting. Miss Martin was such a good sport. She tasted everyone's bakes and scored us far too generously.

On our last day someone cling filmed all of the toilets.
Tied a rope to the handle of the music room and the banister locking Miss Brown into her classroom
Set off stink bombs in the corridors and nailed a matching knickers and bra set to the cross outside the main entrance to the school.

I've often wondered how many times that cross has been decorated over the years.

Last edited by Trumpton; 12-05-2016 at 19:15.
Trumpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:12   #95

Smile Re: Anyone Go to St. Christopher's C of E High?

Hi, I attended St Christophers around 1964-69. I have many happy memories of the school. Mr Jolleys was headmaster and I think Mrs Richards was headmistress but she unfortunately died I think of cancer. She was very particular about the correct school uniform for the girls and did not allow us to wear white knee socks in case they got splashed on the way to school. I also remember Mr Day, Mr Green, Mr Otter, Mrs Ilic, Mrs Livesey, Miss Simpson (PE) and Mr May who married Miss Simpson. I can't remember the name of the RE teacher who we used to call the Rockin Vicar - maybe someone will remember him.

Some of the girls I remember from my year are Lynn Bentley, Shirley Stephenson, Hazel Long, Margaret Mackay, Sheila Birtwistle, Linda Bramley and Barbara Hornsey, My memory on the boys is not so good I can recall Trevor Lingard, Barry Noon, Brian Scholes. I left the area in the early 70's and then moved to Australia in the mid 80's, and just recently had a fit of nostalgia so looked up the school website - it seems to have kept up its excellent reputation and also grown considerably since the early days.

Last edited by Aussie; 07-07-2016 at 02:15.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 20:23   #96
Junior Member+

I was there from 1958 to Christmas 1962, the teachers I can think of is H/Master Mr Jolly, Mrs Whiteside R/I, Mr Forrest, Mrs Wilson, Mrs Thornton, Mrs Richardson, Mr Day(Daddyday) MR Booth ,Mrs Richard, and Belcher, as we called the Depty head, we had one yard for the Girls and one for the Lads with only a white line between us, and if you stepped over that line it was the slipper,(plimsole), as I found out after stepping over the line, I was in 1D,2D,3D,4C WOW
Detentionagain likes this.
HOTPOT47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:39   #97
Junior Member+

I went to Chrissy's between 1978 and 1983.

I remember Mrs Bamford, Mr Day, Mr Green, 'Tin Tin' (the woodwork teacher), Mr Graves the art teacher, Mr Jolley (Kipper) the Headmaster who still had a cane when I started, Mr Roberts the deputy Head.......

Wonder what happened to my class mates ?
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 18:58   #98

Just found this thread / site kind of by accident; thought I'd post. I was at Chrissys' from 79- 84. Arrived mid-term because we'd moved house into the area. I only got in because Jollys sat 'on the bench' with my Grandmother and they were good friends. I'd never been to church in my life. It's not what you know it's who you know

I really enjoyed my time there. I was a skinny little kid back then. Had some great school trips too, went to Switzerland in the first and second year, I've still got the photos somewhere.

I remember most of my teachers, Mr Greene for English, Mr Day for Maths, Mrs Craig for Chemistry, Ms Kenyon for French. My Grandfather taught Day and wasn't that impressed by his academic performance. He was actually one of the better teachers but that's not saying much. I don't blame them, it's the syllabus that was at fault, I could have learned more on Google in a week than I did my entire time at secondary school (not that we had Google back then).

I used to knock about with Ste Bradshaw (and have done ever since, albeit in a more adult and sporadic manner of late) and the musically flamboyant David Battersby, also Karate superstar Jason Clark, Marcus Stephenson (lived over the road from Jollys in Great Harwood), Graham Dobson, Chris Wildman, Stephen Duxbury and that bunch. I remember quite a few classmates such as Peter Fisken, Gareth Davies, Julian Hunt, Aleister Craig, Nicholas Howarth, Paul Seddon, etc. I only recall half a dozen or so girls' names because girls were frightening back then. They still are.
Chief of Staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 07:03   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
Hi Jaysay
I was also one of the first pupils to go to St Christophers i was in Mr Ridings form and cutherbert house I remember Mrs Livesey needlework teacher Mrs Richards Geography Mr Blackburn Maths and English I was also in the school choir on opening day puils in my class you might know Fred Cliffe, Martin Hale, jim wigglesworth, Mr Day's voice you could hear all round the school Mr Rushton Art would like to hear from you.
Mr Riding, woodwork teacher.
I went to St Christoher's between 1961 to 1967.
In Aiden house.
Mr Jolly head, mr Walker deputy head.
I remember mr Blackburn, had his pump accross my backside a few times, good old days.
My best mate was Ken Heap.
I moved to Australia in 1994, and now live n Victoria
Detentionagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 23:31   #100

I remember eileen blezard, she went to the same primary school as me, (new lane), and in same class at st christophers in our final year, mr Day was our form master.
My best pal at school was ken heap.
David johnson was head boy and a very good goalkeeper, he signed for Blackpool f.c. when he left school, but a bad knee injury ended is career.
I remember mr Blackburn in my early years there, felt his size 13 pump a few times.
Detentionagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:46   #101
Mog

I've posted on this before and I was there from 1958 till 1962. Left in 4 Alpha. Mr Riding told me that all your life you will be semi skilled. You will never get anywhere in your life and you will never be as good as your older brother.
Well I left school at easter 1962. and became a coal miner at Bank Hall colliery in Burnley. After my initial training went to Huncoat, Hapton Valley and Coventry Colliery and became a mining Engineer. BSc. Left coventry in 1992 and became Technical Advisor for Eurotunnel for ten years then became Logistics manager for the East and West coast main lines for Network Rail between London and Glasgow and London to Edinburgh. and until I semi Retired was Production Manager for DB Schenker for southeast of England. Not bad for an old Accy Kid who wasn't going to get anywhere.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 22:18   #102
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I've posted on this before and I was there from 1958 till 1962. Left in 4 Alpha. Mr Riding told me that all your life you will be semi skilled. You will never get anywhere in your life and you will never be as good as your older brother.
Well I left school at easter 1962. and became a coal miner at Bank Hall colliery in Burnley. After my initial training went to Huncoat, Hapton Valley and Coventry Colliery and became a mining Engineer. BSc. Left coventry in 1992 and became Technical Advisor for Eurotunnel for ten years then became Logistics manager for the East and West coast main lines for Network Rail between London and Glasgow and London to Edinburgh. and until I semi Retired was Production Manager for DB Schenker for southeast of England. Not bad for an old Accy Kid who wasn't going to get anywhere.
Teacher was right then eh.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:13   #103
Junior Member+

I went to Chrissies from 1978 to 1983.

I remember Mr Day, Mr Greene, Mr Jolley (Kipper), Mr Roberts, Mr Graves (Bonk-On Billy), Mr Brewerton and a few others who's names I cant recall.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..