Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 23:55   #1

Smile BROCKHALL HOSPITAL 1960s

Anyone who worked at Brockhall in the 60s. I worked in the staff kitchen. To name a few. Charlie Jungbluth, ( catering Officer ), Martin Briggs, David Jones, Jack Asprey, Harry Hargraeves, Harry Buckley, Allan Wearden. Many other names, but see how many others we get. I know Its an Accy forum, but there was an hell of a lot of people who worked there from Accy.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2004, 00:15   #2
Member.

Re: BROCKHALL HOSPITAL 1960s

Hi Alan, not what you’re looking for I know. My dad worked at Brockhall in the late 70s and early 80s then on to Calderstones. His name was Alan Douglas. RGN. He was 65 years old when he died, in 1998.

My grandfather was at Queens Park as a hospital porter in the late 50 and 60s. He died there as patient in 1969. He was Tommy “Thomas” Douglas. He was 61 years old.

I was an Auxiliary up at Rossall before becoming a Professional Social Care Advisor, I’m 45 now. It doesn’t look to promising does it…….

Last edited by Doug; 04-08-2004 at 00:19.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:43   #3
mez
God Member

hi, alan, i knew sister green who was at brock, & jaqie& david currie, jax worked on the wards & david in the accounts dept. jax came from clayton le moors?
Old 04-08-2004, 21:12   #4

my whole family as connections with brockhall in the sixties my mother in law prudence birtwistle was some sort of head in the staff canteen my sister in law margaret was in the sewing room her husband gordon an electrician they lived in a brockhall house My wifes twin sisters also worked there ann & lynn and not forgetting my wife she worked in the laundry On my side my brothers wife jean jackson was a house mother also there daughter janette was a nurse there a beautiful girl who unfortunately died at the early age of 27 years the whole of brockhall attended her funeral at accrington cemetery for what was for our family a very sad day thats the lot on the family side but a good friend of ours was in the gatehouse john grantham now deceasedhis daughter who died young whilst giving birth was our eldest daughters best friend
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 23:37   #5

Thanks, everybody. Doug, my dad would have known your dad, he worked at calder in the late, 70s and 80s, mum & dad are now in there 80s and live in Blackburn.Mez, what was jackies maiden name, Currie rings a bell, there was a guy called currie who worked in the kitchens at calderstones, he still lives in Whalley, he keeps in touch with a guy called Harry Finch, he now lives in California. Keith, Mrs Birtwistle, uesd to put the fear of god in me, a very stern woman, she ran the mess hall like a drill sergent.What were all the surnames of the people you mentioned.Also Mrs Birtwistle, had twin daughters, Lyn & Icant remember the others name, good looking girls, is Mrs B still living ?.Other names that come to mind, Jimmy Mare, Mick Morgan, Mr & Mrs Brady (nursing ). Frank Jones. Vernon Brodrick, Gina Gundrie.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:33   #6
mez
God Member

hi alan, it was jackie stubbs, worked broadleys till they got married, then went to brock, had twins & a boy & a girl. no david worked in the offices , one of her sons is a chef but didnt work at brock to young // yes she was from the bottom end of clayton im sure youd know her.
Old 07-08-2004, 21:10   #7

Hi Alan First the bad news Prudence Birtwistle died 2years ago aged 96 and lynn one of the twins died earlier this year aged 54 her ashes now lie in whalley churchyard along side her mother and a elder sister elaine who also died quite young, Lynn had suffered many years first confined to a wheelchair then the last years totally bedridden with MS her twin sister ann lives in Lancaster My sister and brother in law who lived on the brockhall estate were called wilkinson Gordon a brockhall electrician was a popular member of the social club as was all the birtwistle family I myself with the wife attended many parties and gettogethers there I have probably met you there because at one time we where always there that included all the birtwistle family and you are probably aware they were a very large family and everyone went what ever was on Unfortunely gordon died of leukaemia many years ago and margaret my sister in law now lives with donald her brother in barrow nr clitheroe in there mothers old house Did any of the other names click with you from the jackson side re Jean or janette or john grantham the security man on the gatehouse now deceased I will ask round the family to see if any one as any photos of any brockhall club events taken in the sixties
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 22:20   #8
I am Banned

Wink Re: BROCKHALL HOSPITAL 1960s

my dad was at brockhall. he is chief planner at the council now. my sister was there and she runs the council tax department. im glad all worked out well for them.
l.d.flooring-solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 22:21   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
Hi Alan First the bad news Prudence Birtwistle died 2years ago aged 96 and lynn one of the twins died earlier this year aged 54 her ashes now lie in whalley churchyard along side her mother and a elder sister elaine who also died quite young, Lynn had suffered many years first confined to a wheelchair then the last years totally bedridden with MS her twin sister ann lives in Lancaster My sister and brother in law who lived on the brockhall estate were called wilkinson Gordon a brockhall electrician was a popular member of the social club as was all the birtwistle family I myself with the wife attended many parties and gettogethers there I have probably met you there because at one time we where always there that included all the birtwistle family and you are probably aware they were a very large family and everyone went what ever was on Unfortunely gordon died of leukaemia many years ago and margaret my sister in law now lives with donald her brother in barrow nr clitheroe in there mothers old house Did any of the other names click with you from the jackson side re Jean or janette or john grantham the security man on the gatehouse now deceased I will ask round the family to see if any one as any photos of any brockhall club events taken in the sixties
if you were always there........it makes you a in mate.
l.d.flooring-solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 22:28   #10

Thank you for bringing the memories back for me I enjoyed my years of working and living on the staff estate..Brookside.
[QUOTEOn my side my brothers wife jean jackson was a house mother also there daughter janette was a nurse there a beautiful girl who unfortunately died at the early age of 27 years ]
Yes I do remember Janette she was a lovely person and a very good freind of a lovely lady who also died of the same illness Stella Smith.
I also knew John grantham and I was unaware he had died..that is so sad I remember when the daughter died and having a conversation with him about bringing up the grandchild that was a lot of years ago now and I have wondered how that all panned out..that child will be getting on a bit now..I was married to a guy whos mum and her husband ran the social club but sadly Wendy died again of cancer about 4 years back..she was a smashing mum in law.
On a lighter note I knew Mick Morgan we used to call him the mayor of Brookside..and to the person whos dad is a planner ,was he a planner at brockhall.. was he called John by any chance and had been in a group many years ago..Linda
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 00:39   #11

Very sad to hear about Lyn Birtwistle, they were lovely girls, Mrs Birtwistle, well, 96 yrs, her favourite saying was I cant see wood fer trees, I remember there council house in Barrow. I remember david Currie, Mez, I sold him a fishing rod.I remember Gordon and Janette's funeral. Can anyone recall the name of the steward in the soical club, he used to run a pub in Blackburn, I think his name was Harry, he ran it with his daughter. Other names, Pat Price, Mr Lawrence, ( the top man ) At that time there were a lot of Spanish workers there, I believe Manual, one of them works at the dog Inn, in Whalley still. Roy Howarth, and his dad worked and lived there. The Christmas's at Brockhall were fantastic, they went to a lot of trouble, with the decorations and the food, big buffets, mainly for the nobs, mayors of local councils and all that. In those days money was no object, I dont think they had heard of budgets, as for staff, well, probably three times as many than today. It was a happy place. When I finaly left, a chap called Harrey Hargraves, could'nt believe it, he said why would you want to leave Brockhall, you Have a job for life here, a lot of the staff though that way, they were very insituionalised.I lernt a hell of a lot there but it was time to move on, or get like them. But as it turned out they closed it anyway.
Old 09-08-2004, 00:46   #12

By the way people dont give too much away in there profiles, cloak & dagger, whats up doc?.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:17   #13
Member.

Anyone remember Juile Reynolds. She was their at the end of the 70s, early 80s.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26   #14
Senior Member+

Me wife worked there until 1988.Amanda Broadley now Dickinson.She remembers s lad from up Fern Gore called Tracy Scammel
Old 24-08-2004, 09:17   #15

Heres, a story,there was a cook at Brockhall, who did the evenig shift, knocking off at 8pm. He and his wife ran a fish & chip shop in Clayton, bottom end somewhere, befor he left work at the end of his shift, he used to throw a couple of sacks of spuds in the back of his car, to keep his chippy going, he'd been doing it for years, untill somebody dobed him in, the catering officer and his assistant, waited for him one night in the stores and he was sprung. they could only get him for two bags, but he had been doing it for years, he said he had made a fortune at the chippy, so when they sacked him. he retired. I think the sacks of spuds wieghed about 2 cwt, in those days. whats that in Kgs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..