Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2011, 10:09   #1

Burial

My grandmother who lived in Cedar Street died in 1914 of TB yet I am unable to find where she was buried. I have enquired at Accrington cemetery but there is no evidence of her having been buried there. Has anybody any ideas? Her name was Margaret Taylor and she died 11th May 1914. She was married to William Taylor who was listed as "town postman". She had two sons, Henry and Matthew aged 8 and 6 respectively.
mattiechurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2011, 10:31   #2

Re: Burial

A check in the local papers may have something to give you a clue. Not all people had obits but many had lists weekly of burials that took place and where.
William and Margaret had lost one child between Marriage and the 1911 Census and as William came from Burnley and Margaret from the Isle of Man they may have already purchased a Grave elsewhere and used that one.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 12:46   #3

Thanks for the ideas. Will try and chase up.
mattiechurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:22   #4
Full Member+

Was it a definate burial ? If she could have been cremated then she would have been taken to Carlton near Blackpool as that was the nearest crematorium at that time.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 16:54   #5

Carleton Crematorium only opened in 1935.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:59   #6
Full Member+

Thanks for that , I had no idea.I know my grandad died in 1949 and Carlton was the nearest then.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 14:31   #7

Just had an e.mail of a friend who works in Accrington Library who I asked to check the papers for you and according to them she is buried at Accrington Cemetery

She does not have an obituary but appears in the weekly list in the Gazette which recorded burials at Accrington.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:21   #8
Senior Member+

Hi am sending you a pm.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..